Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Do collectors buy/trade for lowball graded coins?

The reason I ask is that I have my 8 free grading certificates from pcgs with my membership renewal, but not a lot of worthwhile raw coins to submit at the moment. I was looking thru some old cans of wheat cents and found a few that would seem to be likely candidates for very low grades (no environmental damage/scratches, etc. - just plain old wear). Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to submit a couple - is there a market for them among registry collectors since I don't have any lowball sets?

Thanks!
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With very few exceptions, lowball collectors are looking for Poor-01s and not much else... and Poor-01s are very, very difficult to get out of PCGS. Unless you have the experience to tell the difference between the 01-02-03 grades in a given series, I would suggest you not waste your grading certificates on taking a stab.

And from what I have seen over the years, the only active demand for Poor-01s is in the Morgan and Peace series.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Thanks, Dennis -
    I appreciate the insight. I am sure that I don't have the ability to determine the differences in those grades. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out the standards for BU coins from year to year! I figured it might be worth a try, since it seems that the coins that I have submitted using the vouchers always grade a point or two lower than expected. I have a suspicion that the graders know which submissions are free, and it affects their 'perspective'. I usually end up resubmitting at the usual price & get the grade the coin deserves...so I often wonder what good those certificates are.

A lot of my friends call me a skeptic - but I have my doubts about that!
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!