Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sent a half dozen commems for PCGS Secure (got one +)

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
No uprades but love the out of plastic images, most of these holders were pretty scratched up.
All are 67's -- was hoping for a + on one or two, but so it goes.

(Edited to add just got grade notice today 7/8 and the New Rochelle did get a 67+
Just doesn't show it in Coinfacts image yet - guess they take the images first?)

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice images. I like the Gettysburg.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are very nice. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins, beautiful surfaces and exquisite toning, just right, especially the Cleveland, Grant, and Gettysburg

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    All are wonderful coins.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into commens, but those are all very beautiful coins!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not into commens, but those are all very beautiful coins! >>

I AM into commems, and those are all very beautiful coins!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really digging that Cleveland. Nice!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice images. I like the Gettysburg. >>

yep, pick of the litter.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

yep, pick of the litter. >>

I'm picking the Spanish Trail!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

yep, pick of the litter. >>

I'm picking the Spanish Trail! >>

I gotta' go with Grant. Those are all beautiful though.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All very nice.

I'm partial to the Spanish Trail.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The Gettysburg is my favorite in the group. Gorgeous coin!
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really digging that Cleveland. Nice! >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful group of commems.

The Gettysburg and Grant seem to be the pick of the litter for me.

Mike
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic group
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul, you are an all too infrequent poster, glad to see you!!image

those are some lovely Commems, clean surfaces with pleasant tone that I once heard described as "lingerie toning" by an old guy, very subtle and not over the top bright. I think it was a wise thing to ask for a re-look. are they part of a complete set you have or just Gems that you've kept as you found them?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All beauties...Grant and New Rochelle especially. Are the coins now in edge-view tab holders?
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Al - I like the "lingerie toning" description, the more subtle colors are what I'm drawn to. But what I love about the series,
    besides the great designs, is you can find just about any "look" that happens to be your preference. I own only about 15 or so that
    have caught my eye. Would be nice to put a type set together but that is just a pipe dream at this point so I just enjoy the ones I can
    get by grubby little hands on.

By the way the Grant no star has the Bruce Scher pedigree and is a wonderful example. I remember when he first posted his set on the
    forum -- I think that's when I caught the bug -- and it's an honor to own a couple of his beauties.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set! Congrats!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    All beauties...Grant and New Rochelle especially. Are the coins now in edge-view tab holders?

I haven't even received my grade notice yet, the coins are still at PCGS, but found these added to Coinfacts yesterday.
    They should all be in the Secure type slabs.

I thought the New Rochelle had the best chance to get a + bump. PCGS has yet to give any to Grants in 67, which would make
    them a pop 1/0, so knew that was very unlikely.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

I was surprised to see you posting about commens rather than IHCs. But then I was stunned by the beauty of your commens. They are breath taking! I appreciate the point that the pictures were taken with the coins out of the slab, but given your photography skills I think any picture you took with the coins encapsulated would be comparable or better.
    Mark

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, ya got a good set there. im not big on toning but do like the looks of them for sure. best wishes
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not into commens, but those are all very beautiful coins! >>

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of those are on my current want list just hope to find something close to as nice as yours.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful looking coins. Plus signs are not far from giving out a MS68 in today's world. The + coins are great candidates to sticker....not so for the MS68's imo.
    For these reasons I think we will continue to see very few 67+ coins made as in many series they now command close to MS68 money once stickered.

The REG set phenomena has clashed with the marketing effects of stickerization.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    +1

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow, glad I opened this thread.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!

There is something very wholesome about that Spanish Trail!
  • Options
    There is something very wholesome about that Spanish Trail!

It looks like it spent some time on that dusty trail image
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. I've sent my entire collection in and got Secure Plus for everything as well as upgrades and pluses for roughly 25 percent of them.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, not a bad one in the bunch. The Gettysburg caught my eye for sure.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great group of coins, all with very attractive toning!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All are wonderful coins. >>

This!

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a sweet set -- I have always liked subtle toning over neon blazers. I will take coins that look like that New Rochelle or the Grant all day over the paint-by-number looks on some Commems and Morgans. Thanks for posting.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    I appreciate the point that the pictures were taken with the coins out of the slab, but given your photography skills I think any picture you took with the coins encapsulated would be comparable or better

Mark - I appreciate the kind words about my old copper pics but I can unequivocally say I could never take better images of these silver coins, in or out of the slab.
    They really look like the coins, at least as close as you can get without moving them around under a real light source showing the luster. Phil Arnold has really
    mastered all the nuances of coin photography.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye appeal is everything. Great coins!

K
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a spectacular handful of coins. The Grant is my favorite based upon what a typical coin for the issue looks like, but the Spanish Trail is calling my name, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Wow, those are some great commems! I'm seriously jealous.
  • Options

<< <i>They really look like the coins, at least as close as you can get without moving them around under a real light source showing the luster. Phil Arnold has really
    mastered all the nuances of coin photography. >>

This means a lot to me coming from you, shylock. I know when I first started in 2005 there was a steep learning curve for me when it came to learning about US Coins and US Coin collectors. I know you offered some constructive criticism in those early days, and you were one of those people I had in mind when I was trying to get the right shot. Thank you very much.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome group of coins shylock. Congrats.

I love that Grant!!

Kudos to Phil. image
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, those are some great commems! I'm seriously jealous. >>

What he said!

JH
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

A group of beautiful coins that I'd be thrilled to own...
    can't slight one of those beauties over another. Great coins, all !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauties!

ABimage
  • Options
    This means a lot to me coming from you, shylock. I know when I first started in 2005 there was a steep learning curve for me when it came to learning about US Coins and US Coin collectors. I know you offered some constructive criticism in those early days, and you were one of those people I had in mind when I was trying to get the right shot. Thank you very much.

Phil - I think some of that early "constructive" criticism was just hidden jealously that you had mine (and many other forum members) dream job.
    But PCGS certainly picked the right guy. You have mastered finding the sweet spot.

I once had the very unrealistic dream of creating a website database of Indian Cent images, as many as I could take myself plus captured images from auction houses, dealers etc...
    It would be the ultimate learning tool for new collectors, especially those who buy mostly online and can't make it to coin shows. But realistically, only PCGS has a chance to pull this off.
    Coinfacts can be that database for every series, with all the images taken by a one master photographer in a consistent manner. Obviously it will never be "complete", but
    I really look forward to the evolution of it 5 and 10 years from now. Whoever came up with the idea deserves special thanks from collectors.

Of course, my data base would have been free image
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Great pics and fantastic coins! image
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marvelous group. The wide open fields on the New Rochelle are going to erupt when tilted in the light, and the toning with it. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since no one has mentioned it I'll be the first to venture out on the thin ice and state I really like your 51-P Booker T. Washington! image

No one really cares about this design and I've only started appreciating them in the last few years...

As when you have a chance to view them in superb gem with color it's a coin that luster wise can knock your socks off!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file