Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody here win this Gobrecht Die?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ebay sold at $5,900

If so, and you are able, could you use it to imprint uniface coppers? I'd like one.

bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a very neat piece; I was watching it all week. There are a surprising number of US Mint medal dies in collector hands, although we're talking fewer than a dozen, total. Maybe fewer than a half-dozen. There were two in a Presidential auction about 10 years ago, for Julian-listed medals. There have been several post-Julian US Mint So-Called Dollar dies mentioned in the press and on this board over the past several years.

The winning bidder is one thing; you can see from their bidding history that they at least have a history of bidding on medals. I'm more curious who the underbidder was!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know who bought it, but it will be their choice whether or not to respond in this thread. This die was for striking the obverse of the earliest version of the award medals of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanics Association. You could buy one of the struck medals easier than you could get a uniface striking from this die, which is somewhat corroded.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool historic item relating to Christian Gobrecht.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earliest version of the award, although that type was issued for something like 75 years. I suppose you might be able to narrow down a date of usage by matching up a die crack to a struck specimen.

imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My agent was the successful bidder image

I'll probably have it on display at the ANA.

It would be cool to do a restrike, but that will depend on the condition of the die.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Let me know if you do a modern restrike (copper is very soft). I think it would be more fun
    to own a uniface from a 2013 strike!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Coinosaurus image

I put in a higher bid at the end but had eBay troubles on execution. It was disappointing after watching it all week but I'm okay with it now. I'm just glad the anticipation is over image

It looks like a cool piece and I hope it's in decent condition.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Ut oh, exonumia is getting pretty fancy if you need an agent to execute a eBay bid! image

Seriously, I thought the initial huge bid was pretty clumsy - allowed other bidders to gain confidence.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Too bad bidder e***h wanted it so badly. Only two other bidders, and they were out after $275 ($388???), regardless, that one bidder ran the $h*t out of it. And, a nice, uniface strike of this would be UBER cool! Nice pick-up!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad bidder e***h wanted it so badly. Only two other bidders, and they were out after $275 ($388???), regardless, that one bidder ran the $h*t out of it. And, a nice, uniface strike of this would be UBER cool! Nice pick-up!! >>

Classic example of why you should use a sniper program, no need to give free appraisals with an early high bid.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    no need to give free appraisals with an early high bid

In my opinion, if an "agent" executed a bid in this manner, it was incredibly lazy and therefore disrespectful to the client.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously, I thought the initial huge bid was pretty clumsy - allowed other bidders to gain confidence. >>

Or 7 days of shilling.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seriously, I thought the initial huge bid was pretty clumsy - allowed other bidders to gain confidence. >>

Or 7 days of shilling. >>

This is the reason I always snipe. It's an easy way to avoid shilling and chiseling.

Not sure if this means anything, but the underbidder has 28% of bids in the last 30 days with the seller and the seller's other items seem to sell for a lot less than this went for. Of course, the underbidder also has substantial feedback (more than mine).

Either way, I like to avoid being chiseled or shilled. Definitely interesting auction.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The die is in hand. It will be on display at the ANA, somewhere, along with a few 19th c. medals struck from the die.

It does have some pits and rust - restrikes would be unattractive without some die polishing first, and I don't think I'm ready to do that to a historical artifact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file