Home Autographs Forum

Jerry Garcia Auto on Back Stage Pass from Concert - Legit or Fake? Opinions Please ASAP

See the picture below. I sent in for a PSA/DNA QO, but have not heard back yet. : ( Board Member Opinions wanted: is this Jerry Garcia auto legit or fake? If legit, assuming authenicated by PSA/DNA dow the road, how much is it work in the present market? Thanks in advance. I know little about music and entertainment autos. Meatloaf

Comments

• magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

can you provide some exemplars from the same period? I am only familiar with Gilmour, Waters, Bowie, Byrne, Yorke and a bit more in this area...also with Judy garland. What did you pay for this and where? Paint pen on fabric is not going to help with authentication BTW; also a hard sale if authentic.

Best wishes,
    Eric

• << <i>Hello,

can you provide some exemplars from the same period? I am only familiar with Gilmour, Waters, Bowie, Byrne, Yorke and a bit more in this area...also with Judy garland. What did you pay for this and where? Paint pen on fabric is not going to help with authentication BTW; also a hard sale if authentic.

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

Don't have any examples. Have not paid for yet. Very few examples exist....his PSA authentication fee is $150 alone. Every auto I have seen by him authenticated by PSA looks different. So not sure...
    Hello Meatloaf,

In just a quick search online I have been able to find more than five exemplars (authenticated as such, anyway) - signed checks, lithographs, albums and several others on that are somewhat more than similar in flavor and form; your backstage pass does not appear genuine from what I can see of structure and execution. There is a very slight halo from the ink on this fabric combined with age - but that, obviously, does not equate with authenticity. I have seen good autographs rejected for auction because of such a halo anyway - condition is usually key. I know this is on fabric, but it appears somewhat drawn and less fluid as well as the apparent structural problems.
    You will buy, or not, based on the certification alone? Dangerous, IMHO. As a collector, I am disturbed that you don't have any exemplars to work with - not one you can point to and say "that is genuine". You also state everything you have seen looks different. It doesn't matter if they were certified by this one or that one - look at enough examples and you should eventually begin to see some basic similarities in form and structure. Look for some in person authenticated examples with the style and form seen on the pass.
    I only have what I was able to find - if you had some additional known samples for me to look at I could say more. With regard to value, he seems to max out at around $600 or so for a signature from a quick check of recent auction results. If this is genuine, which I doubt from what I was able to find, its value might be be less I think. Most unused back stage passes I see, generally speaking and in my areas, are not authentic (particularly Bowie & Waters). Unless I had more to go on, I'd not buy this signature. YMMV.

Best wishes,
    Eric

• << <i>Hello Meatloaf,

In just a quick search online I have been able to find more than five exemplars (authenticated as such, anyway) - signed checks, lithographs, albums and several others on that are somewhat more than similar in flavor and form; your backstage pass does not appear genuine from what I can see of structure and execution. There is a very slight halo from the ink on this fabric combined with age - but that, obviously, does not equate with authenticity. I have seen good autographs rejected for auction because of such a halo anyway - condition is usually key. I know this is on fabric, but it appears somewhat drawn and less fluid as well as the apparent structural problems.
    You will buy, or not, based on the certification alone? Dangerous, IMHO. As a collector, I am disturbed that you don't have any exemplars to work with - not one you can point to and say "that is genuine". You also state everything you have seen looks different. It doesn't matter if they were certified by this one or that one - look at enough examples and you should eventually begin to see some basic similarities in form and structure. Look for some in person authenticated examples with the style and form seen on the pass.
    I only have what I was able to find - if you had some additional known samples for me to look at I could say more. With regard to value, he seems to max out at around $600 or so for a signature from a quick check of recent auction results. If this is genuine, which I doubt from what I was able to find, its value might be be less I think. Most unused back stage passes I see, generally speaking and in my areas, are not authentic (particularly Bowie & Waters). Unless I had more to go on, I'd not buy this signature. YMMV.

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

TYVM for the recommendations and advice. My QO is still waiting and I have also done similar research. UNless the QO disagrees with you, I am not going to buy. This is for a live local auction today .
  • Hi Meatloaf,

You are very welcome. image
    What did your research show? Do let us know what the QO was when you hear.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • QP = not likely genuine. Thanks for all the help. I passed...
    Hey image

Good deal. When in doubt...
    Happy to help you.

Best wishes,
    Eric