Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess This Jefferson Nickel!

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
Ok, the Jefferson Nickel crew has been pretty lame lately. Are we that boring?

Guess this one.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice RPM that is not in the CPG. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what denomination, it sure can't be a Jefferson Nickel if I'm seeing things right.
  • Options
    Yes, a Jefferson Nickel and not in Cherry Pickers. Should narrow it down a bit...the D is on the Obverse.
  • Options
    yeah, I suspected it might be an obverse MM but that didn't look like the hair-braid.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go out on a limb and say it was struck between 1968 and 2004. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I have to thank a fellow Forum Member for this one!

My variety quest never ends! Still looking for the elusive 1964-D/D RPM#1 that way cooler than this one!

Check out my "All Variety" Set.

F.I.B. All Varieties Set

Always looking for help as well!
  • Options
    Congrats! Is that a known variety or a new one?
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    It's a known RPM. This is the first one I've ever seen other than pictures. Listed in the Jefferson RPM Book by Wiles.
  • Options
    my first thought was 1968 since the "S" Mint has a listed OMM which is exceedingly rare, but I had never heard of this coin. refresh my memory------were the individual Mints hubbing their own working dies by 1968, was Philadelphia still making everyone's dies or were they just adding the MM to dies issued by Philadelphia?? it's odd that in the same year there would be OMM's from each Mint that are both very, very scarce/rare.
  • Options
    keets, I really don't know when the Mint shifted around the production of the dies and the addition of the mint marks. Something I should probably learn.
  • Options

<< <i>keets, I really don't know when the Mint shifted around the production of the dies and the addition of the mint marks. Something I should probably learn. >>

I think that happened in the late 80s or early 90s?
  • Options
    James Wiles has an awesome site with a ton of information! In the bottom right side of the Home Page is a free download of his Jefferson Nickel RPM Book!!

Enjoy!

Variety Vista - James Wiles Web Site

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file