Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

5 or 6

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
Except when the number is outstandingly struck, I can not seem to tell the difference between a 5 or a 6. All I can say about this half follis is that Wayne Sayles says that it is from Year 7.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a pretty neat piece, but I really thought you were
    talking about how many shots Clint used in that movieimage
    which was 6 of course.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great images

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of movies, the portrait on this coin brought one to mind:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Well, I know very little about these but ... I can make out "Anno" down the left side of the first image, and the cross above the capital K, so ... are you referring to the Roman Numeral that is typically found to the right of the K ??? Most of the half follis I've seen have a capital roman numeral to the right of the K but this one is a weird looking symbol that doesn't resemble any Roman numerals with which I'm familiar ... the closest likeness I could find is the symbol on the coin below, which is in the same location, but it's an M instead of a K ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A perfectly formed "5" resembles a lower case "u." A corruption, perhaps, of the Roman "V." As I understand the usage, however, half of a lower case "u" can also be a 5. For the number 6, a "I" can be struck through or attached to the lower part of that "u." I sometimes find it difficult to figure out if I am looking at a half "u" standing alone or a half "u" attached to a "I." My guess is that your follis was struck in year 7 of whatever emperor is represented on the obverse.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD