Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Several very nice Lib Nickels did not sell at Baltimore...what's up?

TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
Hard to find Lib nickels usually are highly competed for, and go into hiding after being bought. Not last week in the Baltimore sale.

The 1896 in 66+ and 12-s in 66 did not reach reserve and went by the board. This is in light of several very high end sets being completed,
and in need of upgrades. Anyone have the inside on why they did not sell?
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reserves exceeded current market demand. A thin market ... or perhaps the players didn't agree with the stated grades.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I don't collect copper coins and am not in touch with those markets.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the words of a poor collector trying to be funny : " I'm saving up for the 1913" image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like more might be watching their wallets these days. jmo
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't collect copper coins and am not in touch with those markets. >>

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

image >>

I know what he means. I HATE the copper that's floating around in my Franklins! image
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

I was saying that half in jest, the other half is I have found copper coins to be one of the sub groups of coins with the most unstable of market standards and an alarmingly high degree of doctoring mostly centered around their coloring. Considering nickels are mostly copper with a little nickel to whiten it up, I have found it best to completely avoid pennies and nickels as they are a market within a market with considerably more downside than avg for the uninformed be it for color premiums or subtle ok vs not ok doctoring not to mention thin markets for nickels.

I keep tabs of many of the series and markets in our hobby even the ones I don't or will not collect except copper coins.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Nickels are 75% copper, but rarely referred to as copper coins.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>Nickels are 75% copper, but rarely referred to as copper coins. >>

Long time no see Julian, I say it tung in cheek but it just happens to be true. I didn't mean to be a distraction on the thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file