Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How Much Does Toning Affect Signed Baseball Values?

I'm not much of an autograph collector but I have pursued the 500HR club signed baseballs when they'd do shows I'm attending. Before they were stored in a safe several years ago, I had them in a closet that had a register blowing heat in there. As a result, some of them ended up with light toning like the baseball in the following auction. Generally speaking, how much does this light, spotty toning affect the value of signed baseballs? I'm not selling any in the foreseeable future but it's a question that's been gnawing at me for some reason.

Toned Baseball

Comments

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    My Mantle ball had some toning and PSA/DNA graded it down to a 7. I was just happy it passed for Legit. My 500 HR ball supposedly signed in the 80's in Atlantic City and my DiMaggio signed picture with Marilynn both were rejected. image
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> my DiMaggio signed picture with Marilynn both were rejected. image >>

I think I read somewhere that DiMaggio refused to sign any pictures of him with Marilyn ...

OMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>

I think I read somewhere that DiMaggio refused to sign any pictures of him with Marilyn ...

OMF >>

Yeah I heard that also AFTER I purchased the picture. A client of mine owned a card shop back in the early 90's and he got all kinds of stuff in each day. I cherry picked what i liked but never authenticated anything until now. I'm bringing 3 Mantle signed pictures to the National ( authenticated by Scoreboard??) Anybody hear of Scoreboard? Hopefully they will pass PSA/DNA. A couple other DiMaggio pictures,A Ted Williams Ball and few other cool things passed. But the 500 HR ball,DiMaggio and Marilynn, A Roger Maris singed card and a few others failed. Oh Well.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

OMF >>

Yeah I heard that also AFTER I purchased the picture. A client of mine owned a card shop back in the early 90's and he got all kinds of stuff in each day. I cherry picked what i liked but never authenticated anything until now. I'm bringing 3 Mantle signed pictures to the National ( authenticated by Scoreboard??) Anybody hear of Scoreboard? Hopefully they will pass PSA/DNA. A couple other DiMaggio pictures,A Ted Williams Ball and few other cool things passed. But the 500 HR ball,DiMaggio and Marilynn, A Roger Maris singed card and a few others failed. Oh Well. >>

Scoreboard was certainly legit back in the day and they did indeed do deals with Mantle, but sometimes the problem was that people either photocopied legit Scoreboard COA's and put them with bad items or they simply took good COA's and partnered them up with forgeries....

Keep us informed!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Hello,

I was just peeking in here after giving a touch of help with some sports autographs in the Autograph Forum. I don't do sports, but IMHO the toning here will probably kick down grades assuming genuine; the problem I see is in resale to an investor/collector. I have had perfect and superb vintage items rejected by auction houses for simple and light halo (not even "burn") caused by the iron in the ink used to sign the items. Items that grade Near Mint. Condition is key these days to some. I sold the item above for a good $ with no trouble to a collector. Vintage and scarce/rare items allow for these types of issues, but anything that can be had without the staining will probably be sought w.o the stains. Even if offered/acquired at a lower price, the sweetness of price is long forgotten, but the stain remains. Just my .02 image

Best wishes for a good weekend,
    Eric