Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

really are people this upset?

I just wanted to share a negative we got last night...we sold a star wars box to a buyer who said he got it and it was damaged and the packs flew around in the box from the post office and the lid was torn off.....1st off I don't believe this one bit it was shipped with packing peanuts and tightly in a box...I have dealt with many people on the boards at shows etc over the years and I have never met anyone like this guy...I told him I was sorry and I don't know how that happened but I would be glad to give him a 100% of his money back plus shipping as I would do with anyone...I then asked the seller to please consider withdrawing the negative as I would make it right if it was wrong..i was then told no that he was going to teach me a lesson once and for all...maybe I will learn from this down the road...WHAT..i have been in this business for over 25 years as I told him and I would make it right he said to bad for you maybe you will learn...im sorry but I am not in school and I do know how to treat people right and that's why I have been very successful in life...I was curious about this guy because he had 100% feedback so I did a toolhaus.org search and found out he has left over 39 negatives and 15 neutrals ...just thought id vent...I was just wondering how often does this happen now? like I said if its wrong I would bend over backwards to fix it I would just hate to be this guys dog when hes upset btw I think his ebay name fits him just right...ty for listening my friends....image

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd complain to someone at ebay to get it removed. You may have to keep going to you get to a supervisor, but they can do it. Make sure they look at his track record, and your's. No way sooo much bad stuff happens to this guy. I would also post his user name here so the rest of us can block him as a bidder, if enough do, then you will be teaching him the lesson. Maybe if ebay looks deep enough into his account they may teach him a lesson.
  • Options
    It's stories like this that make consignment such an attractive option. Sorry it happened.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Maybe start with "report buyer" link they now have. As much as Ebay can be disgusting, they have made some improvements
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would also post his user name here so the rest of us can block him as a bidder >>

+1
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Found it.....the "buyers" user name is: de-mented

Feel free to block away boys!
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    ty guys I was just wondering does this happen a lot more than we think and don't hear about it? ty again for listening to me ventimage
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's terrible. One of his negatives said something like: Pack was legit but cards inside were off center. Jackass.
    Daniel
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I blocked him. I suggest others do the same.
  • Options

<< <i>That's terrible. One of his negatives said something like: Pack was legit but cards inside were off center. Jackass. >>

I just looked the guy up on toolhaus and I do not see a negative left by that member that fits this description.

Also, he hadn't left a negative or neutral for anyone in over a year- and it appears he buys on a regular basis.......
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    ty again guys zep and gameused I have reported it and am still trying to deal with ebay which im sure nothing will happen its worth a try though...like I said everything would have been ok with this guy except the im gonna teach you a lesson part if im wrong and screwed up I take it and would have done everything in my power to make it right..he has also changed his name on ebay quite a few times...
  • Options
    lol I didn't notice that about the off center cards that's great image
  • Options
    Hello guys,
    i'm de-mented on ebay and let me say this is 100% bullcrap.
    for one, i have been on ebay since 1998 and have left maybe, 5 neutral or negatives in over 15 years!! how the heck does this guy get 39???
    second and I think anyone here would agree, when i opened my package i was INSULTED to see how my item was protected. I basically opened up a sack with 36 packs dumped in and a torn box. there was NO bubble wrap. nothing but 36 loose packs floating in a large padded envelop. I was pissed. why would I make this up? how hard is it to wrap up the box in some bubble wrap?
    I literally left for the airport 30 minutes before opening my package. If I wasn't going to be out of town for the next 4 weeks I would have returned the item and left neutral feedback. I'm sorry but this isn't my fault. Sellers should be more careful when shipping items worth hundreds of dollars.
  • Options
    tommy - go to toolhaus.org, put in user name de-mented and click on 'left by'. When you get all the way to the bottom, you will see a tally: 39 negative, 15 neutral.
    Daniel
  • Options
    there is no way 39 is remotely accurate. i just spoke to ebay so i know that is false news. You are reported on ebay now. I don't appreciate you trying to intimidate a buyer who is leaving correct feedback. I have zero to gain from this. shame on you and your slanderous comments. for anyone listening this is bullcrap
  • Options
    Don't shoot the messenger. I was simply being helpful by answering your question: "how the heck does this guy get 39???" That's where he got it from.
    Daniel
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there is no way 39 is remotely accurate. i just spoke to ebay so i know that is false news. You are reported on ebay now. I don't appreciate you trying to intimidate a buyer who is leaving correct feedback. I have zero to gain from this. shame on you and your slanderous comments. for anyone listening this is bullcrap >>

Take a look for yourself. It plainly states 39 negatives and 15 nuetrals. Ebay should be able to confirm this for you as well.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak to this transaction, but I can tell you that I, and a number of people I deal with all the time, have both bought and sold dozens and dozens of items, many of them very expensive, with De-Mented through the years and never had anything but good, fair, honest experiences with him.

Talking that a step further, read the negatives before slamming the man. 25 of them are against people no longer registered with ebay and that is over the course of 15 years. The only other negative feedback he has left in the last three years is for a sticker that had an undisclosed crease.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was curious about this guy because he had 100% feedback >>

If you've been selling for as long as you say, then you should know that buyers can't receive negatives so a 100% positive rating for a buyer means nothing.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>there is no way 39 is remotely accurate. i just spoke to ebay so i know that is false news. You are reported on ebay now. I don't appreciate you trying to intimidate a buyer who is leaving correct feedback. I have zero to gain from this. shame on you and your slanderous comments. for anyone listening this is bullcrap >>

Take a look for yourself. It plainly states 39 negatives and 15 nuetrals. Ebay should be able to confirm this for you as well. >>

Seems like there's a couple long gaps, only 5 neg/neutral in the past 3 years. Perhaps a previous eBay'er with the same username?
  • Options
    Aside from the packaging, it seems to me that the buyer is penalizing the seller because the package arrived at a time that was less than ideal for the buyer - this is something that the seller has no control of if the shipping time was reasonable.
  • Options
    1st off tommy this is not bullcrap the box was sent and your comments were to me that this was sent to teach me a lesson..i am stating a fact you have left your negative and that's that ...I would have done anything to make you happy but I can assure you that the box was not thrown in a bag with packs all over at all...I have been burnt in the past on ebay before and had items maybe I wasn't happy about but would always try to work things out if this came up..you are different then me and that's fine like I said I do see you have bought many items in the past with good feedback ...but you have also left a lot of negatives for sellers that's your choice if this was like you said it was (which I feel not to be the case) I would have gladly refunded you the money with shipping...anyways I hope you have a great day...
  • Options
    I'm just completely baffled by the neutral for off-center cards in an unopened pack. If the seller had done something different would they have stayed centered?
  • Options
    I dare say his CU name fits him quite well.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm just completely baffled by the neutral for off-center cards in an unopened pack. If the seller had done something different would they have stayed centered? >>

Pretty much nuts, honestly. Reminds me of a similar post where someone returned an opened wax box as "Item Not As Described" because they didn't get certain cards. People like that can't be pleased.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with De-mented, both on and off eBay, for over 10 years now.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just completely baffled by the neutral for off-center cards in an unopened pack. If the seller had done something different would they have stayed centered? >>

When I looked at the neuts/negs on toolhaus for this member, I did not see any such comment. I'm assuming Baltimore Yankee didn't completely make it up but I'm not sure where he's getting it.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Tommythetoilet is such a stand up guy many of his friends call him Tommytheurinal. Seriously though, the problem wasn't caused by negligence on the seller's part. The damage was caused by mishandling though the Postal system. 1neatstuff should have been given the opportunity to fix the situation for the buyer. Toilets can tire of being rained on and this one jumped at the opportunity to rain back.
  • Options

<< <i>

When I looked at the neuts/negs on toolhaus for this member, I did not see any such comment. I'm assuming Baltimore Yankee didn't completely make it up but I'm not sure where he's getting it. >>

Here is the quote:
    "The packs are real but the cards inside were ALL off-centered or mis-cut"

It's on this page:
    de-mented negatives/neutrals
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the quote:
    "The packs are real but the cards inside were ALL off-centered or mis-cut"

It's on this page:
    de-mented negatives/neutrals >>

Found it. That right there pretty much tells you all you need to know about the guy, IMO
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I recently bought a case of baseball cards and the seller sent the case without double boxing it. He put a shipping label on the case and just launched it off in the mail. The case came to me totally torn to pieces and dented. The seller wanted to work out a deal but I have no interest in having a torn up baseball case sitting in my collection. I mailed the item back and he is going to reimburse me for that purchase. I realize that the buyer was upset for receiving damaged goods but I believe he could have tried resolving the issue first with the seller without slamming a negative on him. Whether or not the box was protected or not, the seller was more than willing to resolve the situtation.

The fact that you told the seller that he needed to learn from his mistake shows me that you were trying to tarnish his record without the option of a resolution. You need to take back the negative and go on down the road.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Except that it doesn't. You would have to know who he bought it from (you can see it on the feedback), know what he collected at the time and know a little history of the buyer, the seller and 1975 minis at that time.

BTW - I am not condoning or agreeing with the negative, but attacking the person, whom you clearly do not know, rather than the action is no better.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

When I looked at the neuts/negs on toolhaus for this member, I did not see any such comment. I'm assuming Baltimore Yankee didn't completely make it up but I'm not sure where he's getting it. >>

You need to click the 'Left by' button at the top to see the feedback a member left. I think it defaults to viewing feedback received.
  • Options

<< <i>Except that it doesn't. You would have to know who he bought it from (you can see it on the feedback), know what he collected at the time and know a little history of the buyer, the seller and 1975 minis at that time.

BTW - I am not condoning or agreeing with the negative, but attacking the person, whom you clearly do not know, rather than the action is no better. >>

I do understand what you are saying, however, unless the seller advertised the cards that would come out of the pack were guaranteed centered, the buyer can't expect the seller to make good on the complaint once the item is opened. At that point it is no longer in the original condition and isn't actually the item that was sold. I do agree that it is possible the seller realized the packs were a run of off-centered cards and chose to put up the packs on eBay because of it. But as long as they delivered an authentic pack, and they only advertised an authentic pack, they met their end of the deal. I do think putting up packs on eBay that have a good chance of being bad inside and knowing it, is rather unethical. It is very similar to putting up a card that was rejected by PSA as altered and listing it as NRMT-MT because you don't want to take the loss.
  • Options

<< <i>Except that it doesn't. You would have to know who he bought it from (you can see it on the feedback), know what he collected at the time and know a little history of the buyer, the seller and 1975 minis at that time.

BTW - I am not condoning or agreeing with the negative, but attacking the person, whom you clearly do not know, rather than the action is no better. >>

I'm assuming you are referring to the O/C packs, elaborate much? Also, either my iPhone is loading improperly or he has withdrawn a lot of his feedback.
  • Options
    The page loads slowly in the background. There is a bar that shows the progress.

Kevin
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I would ask for a picture of the damage before I refunded a dime.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would ask for a picture of the damage before I refunded a dime. >>

This is NOT a buyer trying to scam a refund.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't speak to this transaction, but I can tell you that I, and a number of people I deal with all the time, have both bought and sold dozens and dozens of items, many of them very expensive, with De-Mented through the years and never had anything but good, fair, honest experiences with him.

Talking that a step further, read the negatives before slamming the man. 25 of them are against people no longer registered with ebay and that is over the course of 15 years. The only other negative feedback he has left in the last three years is for a sticker that had an undisclosed crease. >>

People should really look into the negatives a little more before they blast the guy. The one about o/c cards is a little much in my book but many of the others seem at least fairly legitimate. First of all, they have a lot of buys on ebay so even leaving a lot of neutral or negs is still not that many on a % basis. Secondly, if you take the time and look at the negs, there are a large number that he left to buyers for not paying back when you could still do so. There is one seller he left 5 or 6 for and if you look at the seller's feedback, multiple other buyers left him negative feedback for the same reason for the same product.

As stated earlier, many of the people he gave negatives to are no longer registered or are low feedback total sellers. Plus, if you look at the replies to the negatives he left, very few actually replied to the negative.

I'm not going to say if I think this negative was deserved or not because honestly, we are getting two peoples side of the story and the truth is probably somewhere in between. As someone who has recently been frustrated with people's packaging skills, I can understand frustration in this area. I recently gave a neutral feedback to someone who stuffed 440 cards into a 400 ct box and the guy went off on me for leaving a neutral. As far as I am concerned, I am warning potential buyers that this guy will do something like that. Stuffing 440 cards into a 400 ct box is not an honest mistake, they just don't care.

Lastly, as I have said before, eBay's feedback system is so screwed up. Aside from sellers not being able to leave feedback for buyers, most sellers these days feel like they can give poor service, overgrade cards or not package properly and as long as they reimburse the small % that email them about the issue, they should keep their feedback perfect or never get a neutral. This is exactly why people like waverly get away with what he gets away with. He has almost perfect feedback and to many, is far from a perfect seller.

Then throw in the fact that people are so quick to block a potential buyer without doing their own leg work or investigation on the matter, and many times buyers are scared to leave accurate feedback. I say all this to get people to think about the feedback system for a moment and how it is supposed to work and I mean no disrespect to the op. For all I know, he may have very well done everything he was supposed to to make this a great transaction.

Just because someone has given a lot of negatives to someone, doesn't mean they are unreasonable. Look at the overall number of transactions this person has, how many negatives recently, what the actual negative says and the seller's response, how many were because the buyer didn't get what they paid for(me personally, I have left negatives for items not received as I think people would want to know that).

Sadly, today, most seller's who get a negative reply from a buyer automatically feel like it is the buyer's fault, instead of taking responsibility for not satisfying the customer. Again, I am not representing this as my opinion for the op or this transaction, just an overall opinion of eBay's feedback system and the desire to block potential buyers so easily.

Again to me, this is exactly why waverly is still doing what he is doing today and ripping people off.
  • Options
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hit him up on toolhaus and it says 10 negs, 1 neutral. Of the 10 negs, half of them were for buyers (back when you could still neg buyers). So it appears his 5-neg claim against sellers is valid.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Bottom line to me is the "teach the seller a lesson" part. The buyer left a negative before he even tried to work things out with the seller.
    The seller has stated he would have made the buyer "happy". The Post office (or UPS or FEDEX) can do some serious damage that no amount of care
    in packing can prevent. Just my opinion but I think the buyer overreacted and should reconsider the negative feedback if the seller is willing to make things right.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball