Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1951 topps ringside question

Should these cards have a perforated edge or should all of the edges be smooth? Most of the ones in psa slabs have smooth edges but I thought they were issued as 2 card tabs. Thanks for any info
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I found this on the Internet:

Topps Chewing Gum Company of Brooklyn New York produced a beautiful full color boxing set in 1951. Called Topps "Ringside" this classic set also featured former and current fighters. Included in the set are heavy hitters like Joe Louis, RayRobinson, John L. Sullivan, Jake La Motta, James Braddock ("Cinderella Man"), and more. The 1951 Topps Ringside cards were issued in two ways: 1 card for 1 penny or a 2-card panel for 5 cents. Cards still in panel form are scarce and command a premium. Above (left) we have a 1951 Topps Ringside #32 Rocky Marciano rookie card, one of the key cards in the set. But the real key to the set is this 1951 Topps #49 Bob Murphy (above right). The Murphy card was short printed, so much so that it is considered THE key card to the set. As such it is also the most expensive card in the set; more than the Marciano RC, Joe Louis, etc. The above example, graded PSA 4, had a price tag of $700! In comparison, the Marciano (PSA 6) was on eBay for $400. More Topps Ringside cards are pictured below.

Here is the website.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Wish I bothered to google it myself a few weeks ago. I passed on a really nice raw maciano because it didn't have a perforated edge so I thought it might be fake or trimmed. Good info. Thanks
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Actually #1 Gus Lesevich is one of the hardest cards to get in PSA 8 and up. The Murphy card is considered a short print but is more available than #1. There are plenty of Marcianos out there too. I have been upgrading my set for 14 years and can tell you it is not that easy and still keep a collectors budget.