Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a "Best Way" to Nick-A-Date a Buffalo Nickel?

I'm experimenting with regular Jefferson's before I really begin and have tried the following:

1. Left it on there for a good 45 seconds
2. Left it on for no more than 10
3. Took a Q-Tip and rubbed it on.

So far number 3 seems to leave the least amount of obvious "damage". Would cleaning the coin with soap and water make any difference?

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can hide the fact that you used acid on the coin.
    Becky
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    And let me add, I have never thought it was a bad thing to do on dateless Buffs.
    Becky
  • Options
    Im not trying to "hide it", just trying to figure out the best way to make it the least obvious
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think you can hide the fact that you used acid on the coin. >>

theres no way of doing it either that i know of. i agree with becky
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best results, playing with this years ago, was to put a drop of nic a date on the date, wait a few seconds, then use a toothpick to gradually, over the next few seconds, swirl the nic a date solution from just the date to a larger and larger area, spiraling out, until it covered as much of the obverse as possible, then using a q-tip with a little nic a date on it to go over the whole obverse very quickly, then rinsing well with water

this process will result in a strengthened date, while minimizing the tell-tale oval just around the date that the first attempts produced.

the overall effect will be an acid-washed obverse with the date revealed. Some actually looked pretty acceptable, especially after trying a little deller's darkener to make the obverse appear a little more natural.

Try this and show us some before and after pictures!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have done it myself but I've sold a lot of dateless Buffalos to acid-daters. The best ones I've seen involve treating the entire coin in some kind of etching solution. A lot of them formulate their own using vinegar and other ingredients. As a result, the date and other details are raised together, giving a more uniform appearance.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea,a "nic-a date" user! Good Luck.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acid is acid. I don't think there is a best way to mix acid and coins. But I would limit the drop to the date area only and keep water nearby to rinse. Maybe add some baking soda to neutralize. Other than that, the only success is seeing a date. The failure is obvious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file