Home Autographs Forum
Options

Ichiro Suzuki autographed bat

I posted this in the sports card and Memorabilia section, but I think it should be here. I got this bat from a friend who lives in Arizona. He goes to spring training for many years and got this bat signed in 2002 by Ichiro. My friend is really passionate about this bat so I want to authenticate it. It looks nothing like the current signature he has now so I am not sure the third party will deem it legit.

Should I send it in to have it authenticated?

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello dapro,

While it is true that some authenticators will not be familiar with every variant of a subjects signature (for example: pre 1940 Bette Davis, Richard Burton pre 1960, De Forest Kelley pre 1970, Jackie Gleason pre 1955, Tony Perkins pre 1960. The first two articles I wrote about this subject - changes over time - were very good examples: Judy Garland who had several versions of her signature with big changes in 1944 (smaller case "g" and 1954 and again by 1960, and Bela Lugosi who had a few changes including a diagnostic with a double looped "e" which I have not seen mentioned.), anway - a competent and diligent authenticator (collectors too) should spot the consistencies/inconsistencies when researching using his or her accumulated knowledge base, will know the earlier forms and/or have resources to find them and incorporate them in the analysis.

At a glance, with the understanding that I have never heard of this person, have no exemplars and that from your photo of this signed "circular" object I can not see or determine anything of surface, ink etc. (it appears to be an item hand signed with silver pen, but with sports items...), I see no problem at all here from a quick Google search and peek with regard to the basic construction, baseline, fluidity and so on. If I had dated exemplars and could handle the item I would say more.

I will note that the examples pointed to in the other thread contain one item appearing twice on the same page, with different photographs, different prices and different SKU's, so those two balls are either a contrivance (preprinted/Autopenned etc.) or a listing mistake of some sort or other.They are obviously the same item.

If you need the papers, send it to the service you feel has the most to offer.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Hi dapro,

Are you around? I read your 1960 ball as "Jack" quite clearly, but after checking both teams rosters for 1960 I did not find that name so I gave up. I stopped short of Googling "Jack Meyer", as I have no knowledge about sports.
    I think by asking some questions on the boards too early, you are denying yourself valuable and fun research. If you look at a lot of signatures over time, you will be able to see the "Jack" quickly. It took less than a minute to see the Suzuki bat signature, if not a printed one or very clever forgery, is likely good. Didn't you see all of those examples online?

What I wonder about is tomorrow collectors - they are not being taught cursive writing any longer. This will cause a problem. In the 1930's everyone was taught to form letters and words the same way. How will these new collectors navigate those waters? I see a lot of bad material being passed in the future because of this.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Eric, you were right! It was Jack Meyer! Thanks image I got all of the signatures recognized on that ball.