Home Testing Forum
Options

abc123

WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
I have a growing curiosity to try MDing, so I'm going to rent a md this coming weekend. I had one back when I was a teenager, but we're talking 30 years ago and I only used it a few times before it sat and gathered dust until I got rid of it. So, this is like practically starting over for me. I figured it would be a good idea to rent one and see if this is something I will like long-term, before I invest in a unit of my own.

The one I'm renting looks like it will be a Whites M6, per a link on the rental company's web site. This place rents all sorts of equipment, not just metal detectors, so they are not experts but they did confirm over the phone that the brand of the their unit is Whites.

My plan is to just hit my yard and some nearby walking paths and tot lots. I live in central Maryland and the oldest houses in my neighborhood are maybe 40 years old if that. Mine dates to 1976. One thing interesting about the soil in my area is it seems to contain a lot of vermiculite. Per that Wiki link, I assume it was added to the soil in this community as a way to make it more fertile. I'm hoping the metallic-looking flakes do not drive me crazy when I start looking for actual metal! image I will assume the md will not be fooled but my eyes could be.

I've been doing research on here and treasure.net (just registered there recently) and have gleaned a few tips from various posts. If anyone has further tips for a near-newbie, especially regarding the M6, let me know.

Thanks.