Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1997 Score Stand & Deliver Collector Set (Gold/Red)

Does anyone know much about this set? I was recently alerted about it when I saw this Ripken pop up on ebay. I wondered why the BIN was so high, so I did some searching. Apparently the seller bought this with plans to break up the set and flip it.

Just how rare are these? Does anyone here own any of this version, or know of actual value? Here is the information from baseballcardpedia.com:

This 24-card set is broken into six separate four-card groupings and was part of a contest. Groups contain players from the following teams: 1-4 (Braves), 5-8 (Mariners), 9-12 (Yankees), 13-16 (Dodgers), 17-20 (Indians) and 21-24 (Wild Card). The four players featured within the Wild Card group are from "lesser" teams whom Pinnacle Brands thought had no shot at winning the 1997 World Series. Since the Florida Marlins won the World Series, the four Wild Cards wound up being the winning cards.

Hobbyists who held all four cards of the 1997 World Series Champion (or the four Wild Cards if one of the five selected teams did not win) could mail them to Pinnacle for a special Gold version of the set. Gold Stand and Deliver was limited to 275 sets and came encased in a glass frame. Because of the unusual distribution, Gold Stand and Deliver singles are difficult to find. The gold cards came in two different flavors, gold with silver letters and gold with red letters. The gold with red letters version is extremely rare.

All 24 cards come in 3 versions:
-Silver with gold letters
-Gold with silver letters (rare as only 225 sets were produced)
-Gold with red letters (extremely rare, print run is unknown)

Comments

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    What you posted above is pretty much what I know about the set. There was a thread on FCB awhile back where someone had posted a scan of the Ripken and the Griffey. That was the first time I had seen the Red Letter Golds.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I believe there were 250 gold sets produced, with the first 25 sets framed with red lettering.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold Stand and Deliver was limited to 275 sets and came encased in a glass frame.

>>

Doesn't the math work out to 50 Gold w/red letter sets (275-225)? I can't see $2,500 for a /50 Ripken. Beckett has the Silver w/gold letters at $30, no pricing available for either of the Gold or additional info on the set not already mentioned.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold Stand and Deliver was limited to 275 sets and came encased in a glass frame.

>>

Doesn't the math work out to 50 Gold w/red letter sets (275-225)? I can't see $2,500 for a /50 Ripken. Beckett has the Silver w/gold letters at $30, no pricing available for either of the Gold or additional info on the set not already mentioned. >>

I think the 275 sets is an error, if you look at the framed set is is number 22 of 250.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The Frank Thomas sold for $550, which I think is grossly inflated due to the fact that it isn't a pack inserted card. At auction, I'd reckon it wouldn't have sold for more than $250 topside.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Doesn't the math work out to 50 Gold w/red letter sets (275-225)? I can't see $2,500 for a /50 Ripken. Beckett has the Silver w/gold letters at $30, no pricing available for either of the Gold or additional info on the set not already mentioned. >>

I think the 275 sets is an error, if you look at the framed set is is number 22 of 250. >>

Agreed (didn't look close enough at the initial auction), but even a /25 isn't really that rare. Topps 1/1 Auto'd Ripkens are going for ~$500 or less. Silver Ripken's of this set can be had for about $5, and gold w/silver letters $20. I don't see this as more than a $100 card at most.

Glad there's no Larkin in this set image
  • Options

<< <i>

Agreed, but even a /25 isn't really that rare. Topps 1/1 Auto'd Ripkens are going for ~$500 or less. Silver Ripken's of this set can be had for about $5, and gold w/silver letters $20. I don't see this as more than a $100 card at most. >>

/25 for 1997 was extremely rare. You can't really compare 1/1's of today to low numbered sets of the 90's. The last 1998 Crusade Red Ripken /25 I saw sold for $750 raw.

Having said that, I don't think the Stand and Deliver is near what the Crusade is worth, I would pay $350 at most for the Ripken.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does it look like a ET type space alien is peeking over the top of that frame? Looks like a big gold eye on a pink head.

Just a thought.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or does it look like a ET type space alien is peeking over the top of that frame? Looks like a big gold eye on a pink head.

Just a thought. >>

Wait a minute...

WOAH!!!!

• Options
  • Options
    Nice

But seriously what is that?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Looks like a towel over the sink?

• Options
    Agreed.

More apparent on that wide shot.

BTW - I f there was a Will Clark it would have sold for $20,000.00

The 90's thread on FCB is the market for these cards so your answer is - whatever they will pay for a Ripken.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>BTW - I f there was a Will Clark it would have sold for $20,000.00 >>

Yeah I noticed that, WOW! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed.

More apparent on that wide shot.

BTW - I f there was a Will Clark it would have sold for $20,000.00

The 90's thread on FCB is the market for these cards so your answer is - whatever they will pay for a Ripken. >>

Clark collectors are definitely passionate!
  • Options

I have one of these (full set #012/250) dose anyone know what its value is?

• Options

Frame broke from sitting the back of the garage but all cards are still in ment condition

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 3:45PM

pretty good money

might be like the 4th set i have heard of so far