Home Autographs Forum
Options

wow

Why is this forum has no post?

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is a rarely visited forum. And that truly surprises me.
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Me too. I am not sure to post autograph help here or the sports card and memorabilia forum.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Me too. I am not sure to post autograph help here or the sports card and memorabilia forum. >>

Hello,

Do you wish to give or to receive help? Pete and I are here as much as anyone.
    For me, I don't do sports autographs because of rampant forgery and what I sadly have to call lack of education on both sides and the blind reliance on third party authenticators. These same problems exist in the Golden Hollywood and Theater areas I move in as well of course. Although I guarantee everything I sell for life, I've all but given up selling to folks who NEED a COA - in lieu of any independent self-knowledge and/or personal opinion. Second and third opinions are great, sure - but smart buyers will be able to provide at least some portion of the first opinion (if they do or not they are left with the item in any event). Many a short thread starts here with folks asking "I just bought this signed item, do you know of XXX authenticator"? "Does this item look right?" and 90-some % of the time the cert does not even have contact info, the item is bad and they have been taken advantage of one way or another - when just 5 minutes of Googling just the seller/authenticator would have brought them easily to safety before the purchase. It is very helpful to know what the usual ink color or dedication is - to know what is usual and unusual. The poster never responds after they see they have been taken so easily. I think one person did, once.
    This is my opinion alone. I do not speak for Pete or anyone else.

Anyway, ask your question - you have nothing to lose image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Thanks Eric, I will tap the knowledge of this forum when I come across something I am not sure about.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... And that truly surprises me. >>

I think it says more about our host's company and their association(s) with the hobby, than the hobby itself. Plenty of people buying autographs. And even more importantly, avidly collecting them. As someone who regularly attends comic conventions and sci-fi conventions I can tell you people are lining up around the block (literally) for autographs. They just aren't coming here to talk about it. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>... And that truly surprises me. >>

I think it says more about our host's company and their association(s) with the hobby, than the hobby itself. Plenty of people buying autographs. And even more importantly, avidly collecting them. As someone who regularly attends comic conventions and sci-fi conventions I can tell you people are lining up around the block (literally) for autographs. They just aren't coming here to talk about it. image >>

Yes, and a lot of people just seem afraid. They buy the certs after all. And a lot of it is modern, which is not for everyone.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it's harder to collect than coins because at least with coins you can sort of predict what will be "hot" down the road ... Mintages are released immediately, sometimes in advance! Metal content and the design's popularity are likewise readily available data. But with autographs you either gotta collect what's hot now, which is often really hard to find and no longer being 'made' ... Or you gotta collect 'modern' and hope it's hot in 20+ years with practically no data to fall back on.

That's how I see it anyway. Very risky and requires a keen eye for details in authentication.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Yeah, but the good names in vintage form on the desired character photographs do alright. Vintage always better. Fountain pen or ball point as well. And on vintage photographs. Always do better, especially to a collector.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Right, so if you can't afford what's "good vintage" now then you gotta collect some moderns and hope that in +20-40 years they'll be considered "good vintage" image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE