Home PSA Set Registry Forum

HOF rookie sets - the Rubicon has been crossed

PSA's rule for HOF rookie cards requires at least 999 of a card (and that it not be autographed or have a relic in it). Well, something will have to give. Rittenhouse has the exclusive WNBA license, and they are producing 500 sets of this year's cards, which include the only mainstream rookie card of Britney Griner, who is already a likely bet for the Basketball HOF, just based on her college career (which includes blocking more shots one year than any other Division I women's team).

So, what should be done for PSA's rookie set restrictions?

Nick
Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

Comments

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Is that the rule for Men's HOF rookie sets, or HOF rookie sets of all genders?
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    If Griner plays 10 years in the WNBA, then we have 15 years to figure this out. My guess (and hope) would be that the restriction is only lifted in a case like this where the only option is a card with a pop of 500.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that the rule for Men's HOF rookie sets, or HOF rookie sets of all genders? >>

i think the basketball HOF is not gender restricted like the Pro Football or Basebll.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Effa Manley is in the baseball Hall of Fame, albeit as an executive.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA's rule for HOF rookie cards requires at least 999 of a card (and that it not be autographed or have a relic in it). Well, something will have to give. Rittenhouse has the exclusive WNBA license, and they are producing 500 sets of this year's cards, which include the only mainstream rookie card of Britney Griner, who is already a likely bet for the Basketball HOF, just based on her college career (which includes blocking more shots one year than any other Division I women's team).

Are you serious? You want to collect WNBA cards?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The U.S. Olympic HOF, International Tennis HOF, and World Golf HOF also have substantial numbers of female members. AFAIK, no one likely to make any of those Halls of Fame is in this position for rookie cards.

BTW, Mark, thank you for being the arbiter of what other people should collect.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    In the WNBA top 15 player set Cappie Pondexter is a member. Her card is also a Rittenhouse and I was able to put it in the set as the key RC for her.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the WNBA top 15 player set Cappie Pondexter is a member. Her card is also a Rittenhouse and I was able to put it in the set as the key RC for her. >>

I have a different issue with the Pondexter - unless I'm reading the checklist info wrong, it appears to have been an insert card rather than part of the base set. Those are not supposed to be included (and in baseball, many players have a Bowman/Bowman Chrome insert as their first card).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

I suppose the Pondexter is an insert, they are inserted in packs and numbered to 333 and labeled as a RC. I believe it is considered her RC by Beckett and that is a criteria for the PSA registry. I see no way around that with the WNBA cards as the print runs are going to be lower anyway.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Wouldn't WNBA fall under non-sport guidelines?
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Griner plays 10 years in the WNBA, then we have 15 years to figure this out. My guess (and hope) would be that the restriction is only lifted in a case like this where the only option is a card with a pop of 500. >>

I agree when there is no other option available. While not a HOF'er, Jay Ratliff would fit this exception w/ one rookie limited to 699 cards.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    Here are the Griner and Delle Donne RC's. Although the boxed set is numbered out of 500 the cards themselves are not numbered.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Look at the size of those mitts on Griner ... that basketball looks like a damn baseball in her hands!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at the size of those mitts on Griner ... that basketball looks like a damn baseball in her hands! >>

Sorry, I could not resist.

Nice cards. I wonder if the demand will sell them out.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA's rule for HOF rookie cards requires at least 999 of a card (and that it not be autographed or have a relic in it). Well, something will have to give. Rittenhouse has the exclusive WNBA license, and they are producing 500 sets of this year's cards, which include the only mainstream rookie card of Britney Griner, who is already a likely bet for the Basketball HOF, just based on her college career (which includes blocking more shots one year than any other Division I women's team).

Nick >>

PSA never put that rule in writing. I'm sure that was not by accident.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Nick >>

PSA never put that rule in writing. I'm sure that was not by accident. >>

This movie quote seems appropriate:

"And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that a rubicon isn't a 3 day convention to honer Rube?