Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

English Milled Coinage EMC 1662-1972

It close to 30 years ago since Alan Rayner and myself had published EMC. English Milled Coinage

The purpose of the book was to show RARITY to GRADE.

Spinks sold 10'000 copies, I am wondering what happened to the books and are they still used as a guide?

Geoffrey
www.petitioncrown.com
A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question. I am not aware of the book, but would love to see one. I currently use Marsh's book for a guide to sovereigns and half soveriens. I also use the Spinks' coins of England.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show rarity to grade?

Maybe you can explain this? It seems this could mean afew different things

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a copy myself but I do see them used as references for rarity of various issues, primarily by British dealers and auction houses.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Show rarity to grade

It could be similar to the Rayner book on English Silver Coinage, which comments on rarity only in higher grades.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, surprised it was only a printing of 10,000 as they are quite common and one of the first books I got 20+ years ago.

An update with regards to date, preservation state and rarity in that state would be nice.

A couple of listings always bothered me (like the 1862 & 1864 proof 2/6s) where I thought rarity was perhaps underrated, and others that I will not bore the crowd with quite the opposite.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    It's selling for 5 to 10 pounds in good/excellent condition.