Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fakes on ebay

This 1864 Gothic Florin on ebay. There are many fakes of this Florin around currently and this one exhibits all the characteristics of being a fake. So is this a fake that has been stabbed or has the slab been faked as well.

1864 Florin

Comments

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Try Gothic Florin image
  • Options
    Realised my error and was editing it as you postedimage
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Can someone with an NGC subscription check the cert number?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    It appears legit, must have slabbed a fake........again.
  • Options
    hmph that ain't good
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I think what with the Elizabeth I groat fake slabbed NGC should perhaps review their practice of slabbing world coins and stick to what they know.
  • Options
    Which is what, exactly? NGC has slabbed more world coins than our hosts and is generally quite good at it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    American TPGs are strongest grading and attributing US coins, their world coins are riddled with miss attributions and a general lack of recognizing varieties, or just making them up. It can be rich picking recognizing rare coins that have been slabbed as their common counterparts. As an example I purchased a 1912 Heaton penny graded and slabbed as an MS64 common 1912 penny, current UK value of the common 1912 is $112 as opposed to $560 for the 1912H. I recently saw a 1905 3d in which the Maundy issue had been put into the slab. The Maundy 3d is currently UK valued at about $40, the coin attributed on the slab is currently UK valued at $136.
  • Options
    Use your superior knowledge to a) stop yourself overpaying for something that isn't, or conversely, b) pick up a bargain. image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are many fakes of this Florin around currently and this one exhibits all the characteristics of being a fake >>

For those of us who aren't experts, please tell us the characteristics of this fake.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are many fakes of this Florin around currently and this one exhibits all the characteristics of being a fake >>

For those of us who aren't experts, please tell us the characteristics of this fake. >>

First post image.
    1864 florin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

For those of us who aren't experts, please tell us the characteristics of this fake. >>

First post image.
    1864 florin >>

I can see the ebay posting, although those images are hard to make out. The link provided to the pre decimal forum goes to an error page.

Gothic Florins are one of my areas of interest. I would be very interested in any tips you can provide on identifying counterfeit florins. What specifically sticks out about the subject coin that makes you believe it is counterfeit?

Thank you
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

First post image.
    1864 florin >>

I can see the ebay posting, although those images are hard to make out. The link provided to the pre decimal forum goes to an error page.

Gothic Florins are one of my areas of interest. I would be very interested in any tips you can provide on identifying counterfeit florins. What specifically sticks out about the subject coin that makes you believe it is counterfeit?

Thank you >>

It's in the members only section, so presumably you have to log in to see it. I'll try and copy the image and post some other way.
  • Options
  • Options
    That doesn't work either and it doesn't allow you to edit the post, so if you want to see it you will have to sign up with the predecimal forum and see it in the members only section.

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php?act=idx
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone with an NGC subscription check the cert number? >>

You have never needed an NGC subscription to verify certification numbers.

NGC Cert Verification

Regarding the coin in question, here are the pics from the eBay sale. Gazza, please point out the hallmarks of what makes this a fake??

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    If you go to the predecimal site there is a whole thread about it with marked up pictures, you will need to sign up though to get into the members area. There are several lumps and bumps to use as a diagnostic. One of the easiest to spot is the lump at the top of the upright of the n in tenth.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure one can say with a high degree of certainty that this one is counterfeit without seeing it in hand. I have some concerns based on the placement of the die numbers-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you go to the predecimal site there is a whole thread about it with marked up pictures, you will need to sign up though to get into the members area. There are several lumps and bumps to use as a diagnostic. One of the easiest to spot is the lump at the top of the upright of the n in tenth. >>

Thanks, but I'm not signing up for yet another website just to see pictures. Why does that website lock information like this behind the scenes? I understand needing to be a member to post, but what's the point of locking down educational information like this???
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you go to the predecimal site there is a whole thread about it with marked up pictures, you will need to sign up though to get into the members area. There are several lumps and bumps to use as a diagnostic. One of the easiest to spot is the lump at the top of the upright of the n in tenth. >>

Thanks, but I'm not signing up for yet another website just to see pictures. Why does that website lock information like this behind the scenes? I understand needing to be a member to post, but what's the point of locking down educational information like this??? >>

I guess because the original poster started the post in the members area, I'm sure there was no malice intended.