Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Asian translation please!

Auction ended, but I'm still curious. Can anyone read this??? I think I made out the characters for "Shanghai" but that's as far as I got:

or this?

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Nobody? dang ... It is Chinese, though, isn't it? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nobody? dang ... It is Chinese, though, isn't it? image >>

I sent a note to a co-worker. We'll see if she replies with a translation.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's Chinese.

I'm just a bit busy now and that's a bit more text than the usual coin legend.

Is this some sort of commemorative medal produced by the Shanghai mint in commemoration of the Year of the Snake?
  • Options
    Sumnom, I was expecting a Chinese-speaking forumite to reply. Sorry I did not mean for anyone to invest great time or effort on this.

There was an item for auction. I took a chance and posted this, but the auction ended. I would still like to know the translation but ... I am content knowing (1) it is in fact Chinese; and (2) my translation of the word "Shanghai" was accurate image

To answer the question, YES the coin had a huge snake on it and was advertised as being 99.9% silver.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yes, you done good with "Shanghai!" image
  • Options
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the translation of the two images by a Chinese co-worker:

=============================================================================

2013 Gui Si Snake Year New-Year-Celebration 80-gram colorful collector’s medal
    Certificate of Authentication
    By Shanghai Coin Limited Company

--------------------------------------------

Certificate of Authentication

The year of 2013 is the 30th year of the 60th cycle according to the heavenly stems and earthly branches in Chinese lunar calendar. Snake, symbolizes good luck and is respected in Chinese culture. According to Chinese folk stories, dragon was transformed from snake, and its main body resembles snake. Since dragon is bigger in size, snake is often called “small dragon”. The “silver snake bringing good luck” new-year-celebration silver stripe was made and issued by Shanghai Coin ltd, which fully adopted the modern coin making techniques. The front of the stripe is a snake by traditional Chinese realistic painting with the words “good luck in the coming snake year”. The back shows a lucky totem together with the quality and weight of the silver stripe. This silver stripe has standard weight (80 grams) and good quality (99.9% pure silver). Each set has its own issue number and certificate of authentication.
    Issued for a limited number of : 1000 sets
    Standard selling price: 880 Yuan
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    Bravo!