Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Australia Releases a Colored Circulating Coin!

I know Canada has already done it but Australia has released a colored coin into circulation today. It's a purple colored $2 coin celebrating the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. There's quite a bit of excitement among the collector community about it. Read more here:

Purple 2 Dollar Coin Released into Circulation in Australia
Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's quite a bit of excitement among the collector community about it. >>

Why? My understanding is that most serious collectors shy away from the enamel colour "stuff" coins.

The RAM price seems steep at $12.95 ... eshop.ramint.gov.au/2013-Coronation-Coloured
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There's quite a bit of excitement among the collector community about it. >>

Why? My understanding is that most serious collectors shy away from the enamel colour "stuff" coins. >>

"Serious" collectors are outnumbered hugely by collectors of new release mint product. Don't go taking people that post on forums like this as an indication of what people collect, there's a vast silent majority out there who buy mint sets, proof sets, and whatever else the mint releases every year without fail. And almost none of them are active on forums. As to the popularity, I run Australia's most popular coin forum (The Australian Coin Forum) and a lot of members there (serious collectors and casual collectors) were very excited by the release. The shop at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra was packed yesterday because they were handing out the colored coin in change if you made a purchase. And the offer of 5 coins at face value through the Royal Australian Mint phone hotline resulted in a jammed switchboard all day.

<< <i>The RAM price seems steep at $12.95 ... eshop.ramint.gov.au/2013-Coronation-Coloured >>

That's for the carded collector version. You can buy a bag of 5 UNC circulation strikes in a plastic bag for face value plus postage. And we'll start getting them in change shortly.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Right on! I guess we were referring to two different groups of people with the phrase "collector community." I buy clothes but I don't consider myself part of the fashion community. That's cool though, I'm glad about it, because it will help promote coin collecting just like the US State Quarters program. People collecting coins is nothing but good just like publicity image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE