Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1987 NWA Wonderama Test set

I just picked up the sting card in this set. I could have got it for 3 bucks if I checked huskerhaves more often... Instead I paid 50. It's a really hard set to find and its his first card. I'm glad I was able to find it and not get out sniped. The flair and road warriors cards could be good ones out of the set. Does anyone know how many if these were produced. I posted about these on another site and someone suggested there were a little over 100. I didn't think they were that rare but would definitely be interested to hear anyone's opinions.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think they may have made 1000 of the regular issue factory sets. But they were also available in wax. Not sure about the Test Issue.
    But the set itself was only available regionally, since that is where the territory was based in those days.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Even 1000 sets is quite limited. Im a little surprised there isn't more interest in the set. Especially the sting card since its his rookie. I just got the card in the mail. It's a 6-7 so not gem mint by any means but I'm happy to cross it off my list. Ill be interested to see how a high grade one will sell for especially in a psa slab. I'm also surprised no cards from this set have been graded before. Is it due to the fact they are so limited or just no interest?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Wrestling card collectors are a little slow to the grading game but that of course is changing by the moment........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the factory sets were limited to 500.

1988 Wonderama

I have only seen one Test Run set on EBAY in four years and it started at $100 and finally sold for $50 in 2010. Hindsight is 20/20 but I should have snagged it then.

I have a large number of 1988 Wonderama cards at PSA now and subbed lots of different cards. The centering on this set is terrible and there are many cards that may never grade mint. The Sting card in the purple tights is by far his toughest card in the set.

One of the cards I sent in a handful of is the Big Bubba Rogers card. I am hoping one of these pulls a 10.

I was disappointed I did not get to Huskerhavs website when he first listed the cards from this set to snag the Flair and Sting which were great buys. I still can't figure out why this guy gives his cards away.

After seeing your thread the other night I did pull the trigger on a few cards from his site and hopefully they are decent.

Please let me know how PSA treats this card when you send it in. I think it was an excellent buy as it is clearly the first trading card ever produced of Sting.
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Nice grab! I was try to make sense of the 1987 Test set and 1988 set and it seems like the cards stock is the only difference between the two right? I'm assuming #1-#49 are identical otherwise.
    Yeah, card stock is the way to identify the differences in the cards..........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Awesome. Thanks!
    I picked up a test set and it is 12 of 113 with a certificate of authenticity with it. I have to look again but not too impressive to submit cards to PSA.
    Do you have any pics? Who issued the COA?
    Here is the paper that I got with my set.

image[/URL]
    Cool. 113 seems like such an unusual number....I wonder how they decided upon that. Can't read whose signature that is. Thanks for sharing!
    Maybe I will just sub the Sting and try to grade higher than Eagles!!! Just kidding (sorta) image
    Wow. That's really low production. I wish the sting card I got was in better condition. I guess with only 113 produce I should be happy to just have one
    I believe there is more than that produced but just 113 sets total.
    They were sold in packs in Myrtle Beach, SC for a short while in 1987.

1987 Info
    I got this one in the mail recently. It was the only one in the lot that looks potentially gradable.

That looks very solid. I'm guessing that's from huskerhaves. I think this set is a home run. Unfortunately I only have one sting card that's for my PC that's a 7 at best. I prob should have bought some other cards when I could. I only got a few flair header cards. I have one that is in the 9 range. It's prob one if the lowest produced flair cards out there. Ill be sending them in and see how psa labels them. That's a nice road warriors card. Definitely a low production one
    The scan of this card is misleading as the lower right hand corner is impacted on the back. It does have great centering which is cool as a few I got were terrible and one was off cut.

Generally when I buy cards from his site the condition is a little iffy but they are always priced cheap so its not a big deal.
    I am looking over my set today and seeing if I have any high grade ones. It would be fun to have a 9 or 10 from this set just to have it.
    It looks like interest in these is starting to pick up. A raw Ric Flair sold for 100 bucks. I'm really wish was able to get these earlier. I just have the sting card and the header card. I thought a road warriors card was listed but don't see it anymore or in completed listings. Weird eBay glitch or I was just seeing things
    Sold it for $30 this evening....
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It's a shame Salvatore Bellomo didn't do an NWA stint, he would've been in the set for sure.
    I just got 7 of these in the mail today that I got for $2.00 a piece plus shipping. A few were very off centered but I did get two that look good. Here are the scans.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
    Haha. I think it got 7 too at that price. I subbed the best one and it got an 8. I'm guessing you got a huskerhaves special. The sting card in this set is a winner for sure. It's extremely limited and he is pretty big name. Mine only got a 6 and I don't think I'll find an upgrade at a reasonable price.

<< <i>Haha. I think it got 7 too at that price. I subbed the best one and it got an 8. I'm guessing you got a huskerhaves special. The sting card in this set is a winner for sure. It's extremely limited and he is pretty big name. Mine only got a 6 and I don't think I'll find an upgrade at a reasonable price. >>

Yep a Husker Special. Most of the cards I have gotten from him are sub par but I don't mind a few bucks a card to find out. I saw you sold one of these graded for $60 and saw he had seven left and grabbed them.

I think this card raw should be a $10 card at least so I am pleased with the purchase. I plan to send these two in for sure so I can have one slabbed for my collection.

I need to start checking there more often. I bought all he had for sale for 2 bucks so he must have listed more. He also has 89 classic dirt cheap. Most are oc and you will be lucky to get a 8 but the prices are more than fair.
    I am not a huge Sting fan but this is definitely a cool wrestling card. I was really happy to find one for sale and it looked pretty strong in the scan.

It came in the mail today and I am very pleased with my purchase. I will be sending this of to PSA very soon with my 15 card renewal submission.

Looks good! What's the story behind the dislike for Sting?
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>I need to start checking there more often. I bought all he had for sale for 2 bucks so he must have listed more. He also has 89 classic dirt cheap. Most are oc and you will be lucky to get a 8 but the prices are more than fair. >>

"sounds like a sore loser" ; )

<< <i>Looks good! What's the story behind the dislike for Sting? >>

I thought Sting was awesome early in his career.

Once he came back as a rip off of the Crow I just became less impressed. His final years in TNA were not very strong.

I am looking forward to seeing what the WWE will do with him. He can add some great commentary to some new DVD's and shows for the Network.

It is not really dislike but just not a big fan. I got to meet him a few times in his final years in TNA and he was really nice and signed for me too.

I was really impressed with how Sting performed last night. On a bigger stage he is just a bigger star.

Here is the Sting in a PSA slab.

The pop is still pretty low on the 87 cards. It's a great rookie card imo

<< <i>The pop is still pretty low on the 87 cards. It's a great rookie card imo >>

The pop will never explode with 113 sets and some packs.......this will always be a rarity.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you guys happen to catch the new Tosh.O last night? Some classic wrestling on there: Sting Fan
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit that I only opened this thread because I thought there was some set on the rap act, "NWA." My wrestling knowledge has faded since the 80s! Ha!
    Sting PSA 9

It is hard to find many cards from 1987 that can sell for $200 in a PSA 9.

The centering on the base card is really tough so I am not certain one will ever grade this high but it would be a very cool card if you could find one. I know Rob sold the PSA 8 for $500 a year or so ago which was a very impressive sale.

If I could have only bought the set in 2010 that sat on EBAY for months and finally sold for $55.

Rob what are you up to like 8 times your money on the set you bought for over a $100 last year?

<< <i>Sting PSA 9

It is hard to find many cards from 1987 that can sell for $200 in a PSA 9.

The centering on the base card is really tough so I am not certain one will ever grade this high but it would be a very cool card if you could find one. I know Rob sold the PSA 8 for $500 a year or so ago which was a very impressive sale.

If I could have only bought the set in 2010 that sat on EBAY for months and finally sold for $55.

Rob what are you up to like 8 times your money on the set you bought for over a $100 last year? >>

I've made out good on the set in totality with many singles left raw at the moment but I don't specifically sell and tell, LOL.
    Congratulations to Sting on being announced as the headliner for the 2016 WWE HOF.