Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Airplanenut booze update

Jeremy has now gone head to head with Heritage!

I'll drink to thatimageimage

Text

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that was not what I was expecting! It's already over $250 too...

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bottle.

I quite often find fragments of that amethyst glass on late 19th century relic hunting sites, but never a whole bottle, let alone a marked one like that.

Not a coin, but pretty neat, nonetheless.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that older bottles such as this turn color over time often from being left in a window. Sunlight over time can react with the composition of the glass. Usually various shades of purple or amethyst is the end result.

A neat item as are the coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I believe that older bottles such as this turn color over time often from being left in a window. Sunlight over time can react with the composition of the glass. Usually various shades of purple or amethyst is the end result. >>

Yes, I think that's right. I think I've found some glass that was made with an amethyst color, but the lighter (and more uneven) shades in that bottle indicate that sunlight was probably what turned it that way. I forget what it is in the glass that turns it that color over time. Cobalt? I dunno. (I flunked chemistry in high school.) I guess it's some kind of oxidation process. Pieces of the old "black" glass wine bottles (which are actually a really dark olive green when held to the light) are common finds on the colonial and antebellum sites I've hunted. Sometimes I've seen those oxidized to some really pretty goldish iridescent tones, almost like mother-of-pearl. Even found a whole bottle once.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the connection to Heritage. Do they auction bottles? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the connection was HA sells wine bottles etc. so I added Jeremy to the mix - it was more for jest and cool bottle offering - don't think to deeply into it image
  • Options

<< <i>don't think to deeply into it image >>

This is often my problem with business-related or money-related matters, and numismatics is both! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage auctions all types of collectibles

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Heres a beerglass I dug up 20 years ago , which has a nice iridescent mother of pearl patina,
    caused by acids in the soil.
    The natural original colour was transparent.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Andres- that's fantastic! image

And you found ALL of it! Must've taken some work to reassemble, eh?

For a moment I was thinking, "Wow, he must live in Virginia to find a 17th century artifact like that."

Then I remembered where you actually live. image

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats cool, I was just in Needles, CA last week.......DO NOT BUY GAS THERE, Drive into AZ towards Bullhead/Laughlin and
    save a $1.50 a gallonimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Rob, That glass is about 90% complete , I'm showing it from the best angle .
    took me about 2 days to clean and reassemble.

I have a collection of about 100 of these 16/17th Century glasses ; cometbeakers , roemers, birkemaiers, waffelbeakers.

These octa beerglasses (picture) are much harder to reassemble , middle part is very thin glass, still working at it for years.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    So where do you dig them?

• Options
    From beerputten (wastepits) - a big hole, 8-10 yards deep, in the ground in the backyard of 16th - 17th houses ,
    in towns of Leiden, Delft & Rotterdam.
  • Options
    So what other kind of artifacts turn up in these beerputten? Any coins? Other relics? Sounds pretty interesting! (To me, anyway.)

• Options
    Heres a pic of a beerput,

all kinds of stuff were thrown in these beerputten , old worn leather shoes, belts, hats, broken ceramics - plates , pots & pans , broken glass,
    damaged knives, forks, textile, and by accident: coins, earrings , rings , bracelets.
  • Options
    Jeremy's the best guy to consign to. He has reasonable rates and the dude can sell anything.
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage auctions all types of collectibles >>

I knew about the coins, comics, movie memorabilia, and a bunch of other stuff but I never knew they sold glass bottles. Learn somethin every day! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE