Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp: I'm an addict!!!

Ok, this is not in any of my core collecting areas. In fact, it's not even silver (duh!). Several years ago, my wife (now ex) showed me her "collection" of Russian coins. She had some very original, pristine pieces in average circulated grades, including some handsome copper pieces. I was drawn to her copper pieces. But ever since then, I'd been enamored of them. So now I have my second piece (the first is an Ekaterina Velikaya 10 Kop Siberian piece whose image I can't find, and frankly I'm unsure if I even posted it here).

This piece is very attractive in hand, with an even dark chocolate patination. It has flatness on the high points; I'm unfamiliar enough with this series to say if it's wear or strike. I do not see any signs of wear in the fields or at the rim. My grade is anywhere between AU55 and MS63. It'll stay raw for now, because nothing should come between me and my Russian coppers. image

From the seller's web site:

RUSSIA, Empire. Ekaterina II Velikaya (the Great). 1762-1796. Æ 5 Kopeek (41mm, 51.02 g, 12h). Ekaterinburg mint. Dated 1777 EM. Crowned imperial double-headed eagle, holding scepter and orb, with shield of St. George on breast; banner below / Crowned monogram within wreath. Bitkin 626; KM (C) 59.3. EF, brown surfaces.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thread for my Siberia 10 Kop: thread from CICF 2013

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coin and just a great example

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a nice coin! I like the date layout too.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had a WIFE who not only collected COINS, but had nice Darkside taste, too?

Wow.

And now she's an ex? Bummer. image

I can see how those Russian "whopper coppers" could be habit-forming. I've had a few. Most have been run-of-the-mill, but I've had a couple of nice ones, too, including one Siberian piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my wife (now ex) showed me her "collection" >>

Ah yes image every relationship - even plutonic - has "the moment" when we explain our coins. Sometimes followed by the awkward scene when they reveal their "collection" and we must balance our genuine opinion with what they want to hear.

In my experience, even the greatest "haters" actually have a small secret stash of coins from their uncle or some vacation. There seems to be a direct proportion between their level of anti-coin aura and their insecurity to admit ownership. Like jocks who are afraid of appearing nerdy? and it's our job to cultivate their little coin spark.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE