Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Best Way To Mail

What is the best way to mail coins ($3,000) from the states to Canada?

Thanks for the help,
-Bob
Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Registered US mail with insurance. -Dan
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, thank you
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    FYI on international registered mail...

333.2 Indemnity Limit
    Regardless of the declared value of a registered item, the maximum amount of indemnity payable for loss, damage, or missing contents is $46.14.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    You can get a second market insurance, but I have not used any in a while. Shipsurance is the name of one of the companies. -Dan
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI on international registered mail...

333.2 Indemnity Limit
    Regardless of the declared value of a registered item, the maximum amount of indemnity payable for loss, damage, or missing contents is $46.14. >>

I might be wrong now, but you used to be able to send insured up to $25K to Canada about 15 years ago.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safest way is probably USPS Express Mail International. An one ounce package w/$3000 insurance will cost about $44. to send.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all very interesting comment and probably right in most cases which do not involve legal tender..
    However, if the coins are still legal tender the small print will wash everything out and no courier or postal insurance will pay a possible claim. They might, am not sure, pay up to 500 to Canada only.... not sure.
    But please do not forget that all Canadian currency back to 1858 is still legal tender.
    the small print , which most of us do usually not read, clearly states that valid currency and a hoard of other items are excluded from coverage.
    they willingly take the premium for the insurance, but they will not pay. and they will not refund the premium either.
    They also will seldom ask you about the contents of your shipment, as the declaration is up to you and as long as it does not contain any prohibited goods....they will not object.
    maybe things have changed very recently, but probably not..... the small print seldom changes , fees usually do.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    There we go again, opening up the Pandora's Box that is Canadian "legal tender" …
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your helpimage
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever it is worth, I contacted the USPS and here is the answer!!!!!!!!

Response to your recent inquiry (Case ID 113566714) (KMM16513257V74228L0KM)

Thank you for contacting us to find out if it is possible to purchase insurance for collectors coins to Canada, if so how can these coins be mailed.
    I understand your concern and your desire for additional information and I am happy to help you today.
    I have checked my resources in our country conditions for mailing to Canada and found the following information below regarding restrictions:
    Coins; banknotes; currency notes; securities payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; gold, silver, platinum, manufactured or not; jewellery; and other valuable articles may be sent only in registered items governed by the limitations for registered mail.
    Exceptions:
    Coins sent to or from collectors or dealers may be mailed in ordinary (uninsured) parcels.
    I apologize that you cannot purchase insurance for these items.
    Detailed information on country specific restrictions is available in the International Mail Manual (IMM) Index of Countries and Localities (http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immctry.htm).
    May I advise you to contact the addressee to ensure or validate the acceptability of an item. "The US Postal Service does not determine which items are prohibited or restricted to enter any foreign destination".
    I truly hope this information that I provided to you will help complete the next step in resolving your question about placing insurance on collector coins to mail to Canada. It was my pleasure to answer your email today and have a wonderful day.
    Thank you for emailing your Postal Service. We appreciate your business.
    My Best Regards,
    Verdine
    If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    Your privacy is important to us. If you would like additional information on our privacy policy, please visit us online at:
    https://www.usps.com/
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Does the buyer know there is 5% VAT and other taxes depending where you live up to 13% unless it's at least 99.5 pure bullion. I had to blow off a sale of my 2 1914 $5 golds to a Canadian buyer (he was in a 13% province) because I wouldn't fudge on the value.