Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fill in the missing parts of this story - 1986 Memphis Chicks Bo Jackson

Interesting as I was thumbing through an old Lemke-SCD Sportscard Counterfiet Detector book from circa 1992 and I noticed it states the 1986 Memphis Chicks Bo Jackson with "Memphis" on his uniform as a counterfeit while confirming the version that says "Chicks" is legit. Yet fast-forward to today and I see many respectable TPG holders containing the Memphis version. Anyone know if the TPGs do not agree with the SCD assessment or did SCD perhaps revise their findings at some point? Any insight appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    I think you are correct. The gold and silver version with Chicks on the jersey are real.
  • Options
    This is interesting, i am not sure who decided what is authentic and what is not. I do have a silver memphis card graded and a chicks gold card graded also have a different photo of the silver card and a black border chicks card that should have been labled differnt. Also i have had some that i submitted come back questionalble auth. the only difference i could see was the ungraded cards are slightly smaller in size. Here is a link to are mine that psa has graded. if you find out the real truth please let me know.

1986 Bo Jackson Memphis Chicks
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    To this day I have never seen or heard anything to indicate that the "Memphis" jersey card is anything but an unauthorized collectors issue done in similitude to the genuine "Chicks" card/team set.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly enough, a quick ebay search shows of the listed ones graded by TPGs, there are 3 of the silver one listed that were graded by PSA w/ the Memphis photo under the active listings and one in the completed. There is also one of that card in a BGS slab under the completed. There are no TPG slabs of the "Chicks" photo in active listings, and one of the gold w/ Chicks by PSA under the completed. Apparently, PSA and BGS will grade the Memphis as an authentic 1986 issue, whether that is correct to do or not.

On a sort of related topic as long as we're talking minor league issues of mid to late 1980's Auburn Tigers baseball players who have cards that seem to be mis-identified in TPG slabs, why is the Red BDK Pan-Am Frank Thomas labeled as a 1987 by PSA, when the card backs all say 1990? Here is an example. It was my understanding that the Blue variety was produced in 1987 but the Reds were a 1990 re-issue with different numbering than the blues. BGS used to label the Red as 1987 and has since switched to labeling as 1990. Does anyone know whether there are any legit 1987 Red versions before the 1990 re-issue?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Good thread. Here's a copy of one that I recently had kicked back that has the Memphis jersey, though I'm not sure if that's the reason it was rejected.

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interestingly enough, a quick ebay search shows of the listed ones graded by TPGs, there are 3 of the silver one listed that were graded by PSA w/ the Memphis photo under the active listings and one in the completed. There is also one of that card in a BGS slab under the completed. There are no TPG slabs of the "Chicks" photo in active listings, and one of the gold w/ Chicks by PSA under the completed. Apparently, PSA and BGS will grade the Memphis as an authentic 1986 issue, whether that is correct to do or not.

On a sort of related topic as long as we're talking minor league issues of mid to late 1980's Auburn Tigers baseball players who have cards that seem to be mis-identified in TPG slabs, why is the Red BDK Pan-Am Frank Thomas labeled as a 1987 by PSA, when the card backs all say 1990? Here is an example. It was my understanding that the Blue variety was produced in 1987 but the Reds were a 1990 re-issue with different numbering than the blues. BGS used to label the Red as 1987 and has since switched to labeling as 1990. Does anyone know whether there are any legit 1987 Red versions before the 1990 re-issue? >>

It's the same with the 1982 Anchorage McGwire. It's not from 1982 yet they are slabbed as such. Really funny now of what they used to counterfeit, but those were the times back then. I know this 1986 Greg Jefferies one was counterfeited in his heyday of very late 80's to very early 1990s and I'd venture a guess that this one is a a counterfeit as the L-R borders look too wide compared to all the 1986 Procards I've seen and own. 1986 Greg Jefferies Either that or this one is trimmed on the left side :-) 1986 OC but Real Jefferies
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good thread. Here's a copy of one that I recently had kicked back that has the Memphis jersey, though I'm not sure if that's the reason it was rejected.

image >>

All 4 of the graded ones (PSA, BGS) that I saw on ebay are different than yours. On yours, the "n" in "Jackson" extends past the right edge of the photo. I have no idea if that alone makes it counterfeit, but it's just something I noticed.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On a sort of related topic as long as we're talking minor league issues of mid to late 1980's Auburn Tigers baseball players who have cards that seem to be mis-identified in TPG slabs, why is the Red BDK Pan-Am Frank Thomas labeled as a 1987 by PSA, when the card backs all say 1990? Here is an example. It was my understanding that the Blue variety was produced in 1987 but the Reds were a 1990 re-issue with different numbering than the blues. BGS used to label the Red as 1987 and has since switched to labeling as 1990. Does anyone know whether there are any legit 1987 Red versions before the 1990 re-issue? >>

I've handled 100s of the reds and all have been clearly marked 1990 in the copyright line. PSA continues to label Frank's 1990 CMC #818 as 1990 ProCards Glossy. They also struggle with grading consistency on the '87 PanAm Blue; all reverses have a miscut back. Some graders accept this and will give out PSA 10s on said cards, so will not give higher than a 9.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On a sort of related topic as long as we're talking minor league issues of mid to late 1980's Auburn Tigers baseball players who have cards that seem to be mis-identified in TPG slabs, why is the Red BDK Pan-Am Frank Thomas labeled as a 1987 by PSA, when the card backs all say 1990? Here is an example. It was my understanding that the Blue variety was produced in 1987 but the Reds were a 1990 re-issue with different numbering than the blues. BGS used to label the Red as 1987 and has since switched to labeling as 1990. Does anyone know whether there are any legit 1987 Red versions before the 1990 re-issue? >>

I've handled 100s of the reds and all have been clearly marked 1990 in the copyright line. PSA continues to label Frank's 1990 CMC #818 as 1990 ProCards Glossy. They also struggle with grading consistency on the '87 PanAm Blue; all reverses have a miscut back. Some graders accept this and will give out PSA 10s on said cards, so will not give higher than a 9. >>

I haven't personally seen the actual original packs since 1990, but I remember when opening them that the 1990 CMC & ProCards were both in the same pack, with a few more CMC than ProCards but maybe around a 2/3 - 1/3 or 3/4 - 1/4 split if memory serves... Wonder if that has anything to do with the labeling situation you describe?
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Based on my own personal thoughts and from what a minor league set distributor has told me, I've come to the conclusion that there are only two original sets produced - Gold and Silver of Bo Jackson straight on in the laid back, bench seated position in a white "Chicks" jersey. Also, from the set I have which I believe is authentic, there is an almost opalescent sheen to the card when you hold it off angle to light. Here are some of the reasons why I believe there are only two legit sets:
      If you look at the sets, everyone else is seated on the bench in this laid back position. Although Bo was a special player, the fact that he is pictured in the same way as the other players in complete sets leads me to believe that he wouldn't be photographed differently.
      When you find Bo Jackson in other positions, you don't find other players on the team with a similar card or a similar set.
      The distributor who I spoke with said: "If you find Bo outside of a set it's a fake. Nobody is going to fake the entire set but they will fake a Bo Jackson card."
    I suppose it's possible that they did make official cards outside of the sets due to Bo's popularity, but it does leave you to question...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good thread. Here's a copy of one that I recently had kicked back that has the Memphis jersey, though I'm not sure if that's the reason it was rejected.

image >>

All 4 of the graded ones (PSA, BGS) that I saw on ebay are different than yours. On yours, the "n" in "Jackson" extends past the right edge of the photo. I have no idea if that alone makes it counterfeit, but it's just something I noticed. >>

In addition to the "n" issue described here, when compared to both my Memphis jersey and seated Chicks silver version of Bo, there seems to be too much space below the Chicks logo. The top border width looks similar and the space between the bottom and "Chicks", however, there is a big difference between chicks and the bottom of the card.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases