Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2014 Krause

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Fortunately the world has been put back together and it appears all the countries
are here. As far as moderns go there's not much new. If you collect Indian you'll
have to buy it since all pricing here has been stood on its head. It appears the new
pricing is based in reality since it reflects the actual difficulty of finding the coins in my
experience. All the prices are sharply higher but my only problem is the one Rupee
issues, which I find tough, (before 1982) are priced about the same as other denom-
inations. I'm just very favorably impressed by the effort that apparently went into
this.

It's not too late to start collecting India but you'll have to stop buying them randomly
or you might get badly burned at the new pricing. Some Indian coins are hoarde coins
and these simply will never bring more than a dollar or two to real collectors. Most of
the prices are only several dollars now and this won't strain too many pocketbooks.
The old proof sets are up significantly again with the big gainer being the 1961 that
went from $100 to $4500. The prices of the oldest Indian moderns also had nice gains.

Otherwise I just don't see much change yet. I'll be checking the silver an older issues
as time goes by but there seem to be generally few changes.
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I got the catalog the other day and haven't seen too many price differences yet. Greenland remains grossly overvalued. One thing I did notice is that they removed an erroneous listing for a Netherlands/Gelderland piece dated 1937 that is what I believe to be a privately issued medal since the Gelderland Mint closed in the early 19th century.

Of course I'm glad that Spain, Panama and other countries are back, making it once again worthwhile to purchase the new volume.

Dennis
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not making a lot of progress due to computer problems but the real
    king of the increases this year was actually the 1962 7 pc mint set which
    went from $11 to $4000 for a tidy little 36,300% profit. That's almost as
    good as being a banker now days.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It appears the new pricing is based in reality since it reflects the actual difficulty of finding the coins >>

Many nations have low-mintage coins and FDC sets that are hard to find. Price isn't governed solely by scarcity, especially on the darkside. The question is, "What event prompted this market increase?"

Were the coins recalled and/or melted? Have they always been this hard to find, or only in recent times? Who was buying these sets in 1961 and 1962?

As always, it's worth only what someone is willing to pay.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It appears the new pricing is based in reality since it reflects the actual difficulty of finding the coins >>

Many nations have low-mintage coins and FDC sets that are hard to find. Price isn't governed solely by scarcity, especially on the darkside. The question is, "What event prompted this market increase?"

Were the coins recalled and/or melted? Have they always been this hard to find, or only in recent times? Who was buying these sets in 1961 and 1962?

As always, it's worth only what someone is willing to pay. >>

I've told people for decades that many modernsare nearly impossible to find. Of course this
    rarity has no effect on price because demand is nearly non-existent for nearly all modern coins.
    But time has always been on the side of these coins because the only reason there was no demand
    is that coin collectors hate base metal and they hate modern. Over time the collector base changes
    and the new base has no reason to hate the coins. People collect coins for numerous reasons like art,
    history a scarcity but also for nostalgia and these last two apply to moderns as surely as any other
    coins. Indeed, to collectors, the first two apply as well.

In the past most people who collected almost any country's coins resided in the US and US collectors
    are a fairly homogenous group in many ways. But most of this new demand is not coming from US
    collectors who hate moderns but from the exploding middle class in India. These are young people
    and older people who grew up with these coins and their young nation. Most of the older collectors
    couldn't even afford to set aside a nice new Rupee when the were younger but they want one now and
    they can't find them or at least not at the old prices. People need to realize that this demand is still
    in its infancy perhaps. It's not as though there is a huge collector base as for older coins it's just that
    the tiny demand is finding no supply.

In most countries old beaten and worn moderns are much more readily available. This isn't hurting the
    value of pristine specimens in those countries but India is a little different because everyone competed
    to destyroy the old coins in India as they were demonetized. They were used by small industry to make
    things like razor blades and consumer products. This means that even in XF and VF many of these coins
    will prove elusive. Only the very low grades taken home by tourists and those that literally come out of
    the woodwork, dumps, and the like as well as those taken homeby tourists will be availablle. These all
    have horrendous attrition because they are considered common and they are mostly base metal. If lots
    of people want to "jump on the band wagon" then there won't be lots of low cost alternatives.

It's possible there's some speculation involved but we're talking about things with tiny mintages and high
    attrition so it doesn't require speculation to affect pricing. The availability of the extremely high mintage
    items appears little better.

I believe this is really a sea change and it's been spreading from country to country for a long time now.
    It's barely started and will necessarily engulf the entire world over the next couple decades because even
    countries whose economies don't take off will be affected by demand from world coin collectors where now
    there are no collectors at all. Indian collectors will exert pressure on other SE Asian coins as they mature
    and branch out. Collectors in India, China, Russia, Brazil, Australia will exert pressure on the pricing of all
    countries. These collectors will have different beliefs and perspectives than most US collectors.

Of course, there's no certainty that any given coin will ever attract much demand. Just because a coin is
    very low mintage willnot assure that the demand will materialize to push it far higher. I do believe though
    that most if not all circulating issues will attract demand. To a large extent this demand will be proportional
    to the lenght of time it was used and how widely used it was. The demand will depend on numerous impon-
    derables. Many of the coins that do the best will have enormous mintages and very poor survival rates just
    like many of the Indian issues.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    An excellent assessment! I believe you are correct about (1) new generation of collectors who can afford coins previously beyond their means; and (2) destruction of older coins after demonetization.

I can't imagine paying more than $4,000 for a 7-pc mint set which doesn't contain any gold or rare varieties, but we shall see! (you mentioned the prices may continue to climb)

Re: SE Asian countries, I have already seen this in coins from Vietnam and Cambodia. They are hard to come by, and certain 'run of the mill' circulation types are selling for ~ $1,000 in MS. They appear for sale often enough, but not for cheap.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

I can't imagine paying more than $4,000 for a 7-pc mint set which doesn't contain any gold or rare varieties, but we shall see! (you mentioned the prices may continue to climb)

Re: SE Asian countries, I have already seen this in coins from Vietnam and Cambodia. They are hard to come by, and certain 'run of the mill' circulation types are selling for ~ $1,000 in MS. They appear for sale often enough, but not for cheap. >>

I don't believe there is any reason at all that in time the demand for base metal
    modern coins can't approach the demand for older silver and gold coins. For this
    to happen the prices of modern India will have to increase substantially.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    That is one of the reasons I collect the pre WWII Lithuanian coins. So much change going on
    and people had to spend what they had. Circulated examples are around but uncirculated
    are getting more expensive.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my Krause is a 2002, need a new one, but is there much increase on Mexico say 1948 to date stuff?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Steve, mine is 2011. If you want, send me a half-dozen or so KM #'s from the Mexico chapter and I'll look them up in my version and send you the results. At least this way you'll know if it's worth upgrading to 2011 (and you can find used or even new versions for sale) if you don't feel like ponying up for 2014.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>I think my Krause is a 2002, need a new one, but is there much increase on Mexico say 1948 to date stuff?
    >>

Not much updating in '48 to date Mexico since '02.

You might want to get a 2013 Krause cheap but the 2014 won't help.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the Chinese stuff look? Down or up? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>How does the Chinese stuff look? Down or up? image >>

It's so hard to check since they move the coins around so much but Taiwan has
    reappeared and there are no changes in any of tbe base metal moderns. I don't
    see any in the silver and gold in a quick spot check.

I haven't looked at the older coins yet but could spot check them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.

nd(1911) 50C Y-257.2 LM-422 4 Circles Yunnan

nd(1911) 50C Y-257 LM-422 K-170 2 Circles Yunnan

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Lochness & Cladking,

I don't know why I picked 1948 out of a hat, I should have said 20th century Mexico
    mainly the Modern Commemoratives 5 & 10 pesos, such as the 10 peso 1957 Constitution
    A 2013 is a good Idea, I love saving money,

Again Thanx Guys.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>Thanx Lochness & Cladking,

I don't know why I picked 1948 out of a hat, I should have said 20th century Mexico
    mainly the Modern Commemoratives 5 & 10 pesos, such as the 10 peso 1957 Constitution
    A 2013 is a good Idea, I love saving money,

Again Thanx Guys.

>>

They actually decreased the prices of a few of these a little. It appears to be primarily bullion based changes.
    Tempus fugit.