Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please welcome a new coin collector - Update in first post

2»

Comments

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Maybe this will inspire!





    image >>





    I love this! >>

    Me Too! But now I am getting bored with this thread. Maybe it is because I have the attention span of a gnat? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>But now I am getting bored with this thread. Maybe it is because I have the attention span of a gnat? image >>


    Bored already? Ouch.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, is it time for a clue at least? the guessing game is pretty tough without more info..

    are they the gold coins that circulated in early america?

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>But now I am getting bored with this thread. Maybe it is because I have the attention span of a gnat? image >>


    Bored already? Ouch. >>

    image Then give us a hint, do something that causes us to maintain interest in the thread. That's all. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well glad to see that someone is interested in the parks quarters.image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See update in first post. image
  • Options
    I guessed right! What did I win?

    image

    merse

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the set will be quite impressive and educational. Congrats on your new endeavor.

    It looks like abitofthisabitofthat guessed it correctly. Cool!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I guessed right! What did I win?

    image >>


    My sincere congratulations and lasting admiration! image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still deeply saddened that it's not going to be Mercury Dime Varieties.
    image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I'm still deeply saddened that it's not going to be Mercury Dime Varieties. >>


    You don't want the competition.


    imageimageimage
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>I guessed right! What did I win?

    image >>


    My sincere congratulations and lasting admiration! image >>



    Sweet!! I am looking forward to seeing some new purchases in the future.image

    merse

  • Options
    BTW -there is this website where you might find some stuff. It is coinraritiesonline.com. Just in case you did not know where to start looking for your new direction .image



    merse

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I'm still deeply saddened that it's not going to be Mercury Dime Varieties. >>


    You don't want the competition.


    imageimageimage >>

    That is true but it is also a double-edged sword. We need more people out there looking for the darn things and I figure I can out last everyone so eventually all of the other sets will be sold and I will have just about every single one of them in Top Pop...eventually! It has been just over three years that I have been working on the Mercury Dime Varieties (26 in all as recognized by PCGS) and I have 13 in Top Pop...although I have not updated my registry set in two years now...I hope to do that in a few months. Reality says 3 out of the 26 will be too expensive in Top Pop but I will do my best. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>BTW -there is this website where you might find some stuff. It is coinraritiesonline.com. Just in case you did not know where to start looking for your new direction .image >>

    image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>BTW -there is this website where you might find some stuff. It is coinraritiesonline.com. Just in case you did not know where to start looking for your new direction .image >>



    image

    I see at least 4 great coins you can pick up in a single swoop to get started! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>BTW -there is this website where you might find some stuff. It is coinraritiesonline.com. Just in case you did not know where to start looking for your new direction .image >>


    Thanks! I'll check it out.

    image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're diversifying far too much. You should be specializing and intensifying...not making a World 18th century type set. This endeavor will leave you impoverished and unfulfilled.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>You're diversifying far too much. You should be specializing and intensifying...not making a World 18th century type set. This endeavor will leave you impoverished and unfulfilled. >>

    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say! Mercury Dime Varieties is where it's at! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to add : "tee hee. you are so right", and "best to you, always"
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>You're diversifying far too much. You should be specializing and intensifying...not making a World 18th century type set. This endeavor will leave you impoverished and unfulfilled. >>


    Not true, my friend (well it may leave me impoverished!).

    I am picky.

    I'm a big fan of specialization and focus...to a point. I'm a type collector. The variety keeps it interesting. The reason I don't collect series' by date/mm is because I get bored. I tried it.

    I don't collect by die variety because the differences are generally too small for me to appreciate.

    Plus diversity hedges the bet.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you picked the ideal set to create!!!
    I can't wait to make a poster with themimage


  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLC, you made a choice that I find interesting. Your list needs some more entries, however, including cut coins, some Caribbean issues, and regulated gold.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My plan: Build a collection of coins which are 1) Historically interesting, 2) Aesthetically Pleasing, and 3) In Demand.

    But you'll have to take my word for it because I won't be posting pics. image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>My plan: Build a collection of coins which are 1) Historically interesting, 2) Aesthetically Pleasing, and 3) In Demand. >>



    That #'s 1-3 collection plan could still work for Sample Slabs image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some great coins from these dealers: mexican coin company, nen, cro, atlas numismatics (james ricks new company), Mr Eureka, Louis Teller ......:


    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I got some great coins from these dealers: mexican coin company, nen, cro, atlas numismatics (james ricks new company), Mr Eureka, Louis Teller ......: >>


    Some I've heard of; some I haven't.

    The thrill is still in the hunt.

    I'm not looking to build the collection over night...but I'll consider all sources.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I got some great coins from these dealers: mexican coin company, nen, cro, atlas numismatics (james ricks new company), Mr Eureka, Louis Teller ......: >>


    Some I've heard of; some I haven't.

    The thrill is still in the hunt.

    I'm not looking to build the collection over night...but I'll consider all sources. >>

    You need to consider all sources as prices can vary, you should also check auctions.

    I know as I have collected several specimans over the years in some of the categories you listed below.

    Spanish Colonial Cobs in one half, one, two, four and eight Reales denominations
    Spanish Milled Coins (thru 1800) – including Pistareens, Pillars and Bust coins in one half, one, two, four and eight Reales denominations
    Spanish gold in one half, one, two, four, and eight escudo denominations
    Dutch Lion Dollars, Ducatoons (or Silver Riders), and Rix Dollars
    English Hammer Struck Coins – Gold Five Guineas, Two Guineas, Guinea, Half Guinea, Silver shilling, sixpence, groat, threepence, half groat, penny, halfpenny, Copper farthing
    English Milled Coins – Gold Five Guineas, Two Guineas, Guinea, Half Guinea, Silver Crown, Half Crown, Shilling, Sixpence, Fourpence, Threepence, Twopence, Penny, Copper Halfpenny and Farthing

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I know as I have collected several specimans over the years in some of the categories you listed below.

    Spanish Colonial Cobs in one half, one, two, four and eight Reales denominations
    Spanish Milled Coins (thru 1800) – including Pistareens, Pillars and Bust coins in one half, one, two, four and eight Reales denominations
    Spanish gold in one half, one, two, four, and eight escudo denominations
    Dutch Lion Dollars, Ducatoons (or Silver Riders), and Rix Dollars
    English Hammer Struck Coins – Gold Five Guineas, Two Guineas, Guinea, Half Guinea, Silver shilling, sixpence, groat, threepence, half groat, penny, halfpenny, Copper farthing
    English Milled Coins – Gold Five Guineas, Two Guineas, Guinea, Half Guinea, Silver Crown, Half Crown, Shilling, Sixpence, Fourpence, Threepence, Twopence, Penny, Copper Halfpenny and Farthing >>


    You are welcome to post some in this thread. image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One year type.

    image

    The only date graded by PCGS.

    image

    One of my favorite coins and rare.

    image

    Common.

    image

    Finest graded by PCGS.

    image

    Finest known by 2 points and with the famous and historical EIC lettering ( East India Company) Very rare.

    image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think BidAsk is code speak for BadA$$ image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think BidAsk is code speak for BadA$$ image >>

    I would not characterize myself as a BadA$$, but I'm glad you noticed the coins some really are rare!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Finest known by 2 points and with the famous and historical EIC lettering ( East India Company) Very rare.

    image >>


    I really like that coin. image


    Adding a new coin to my new collection soon. I'm excited! So I thought I'd image this thread. image
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That EIC is awesome, I would love to own one some day. I have picked up a few pieces for a collection with this general theme, but haven't really pursued it very far. These coins could have very likely been used in early America, considering their condition! image

    1790-PTS Bolivia PR 2R:
    image
    image

    1774-Mo FM Mexico 1/2R:
    image
    image
    Finest Coins and Relics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file