Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jamaica - 1998 Proof Set Discovery

Hi all, my main interest is later British milled silver and copper but since there is not much left I look around for other stuff to collect and have for some while.

I have just managed to get a 1998 Jamaica proof set from Jamaica, and at the same time got a 1996 set (which was also "unknown" until a March ebay sale which I lost out on), and an evidently very-hard-to-come-by 1991 set. I think I have them all except for the ??possible 2002 set which is listed by Krause but not known or seen by me, except for an erroneous report.

Not that anybody cares but the later 1988-2001 sets were limited to 500 "Authorised" but absolutely nobody, BoJ included seems to know how many of each year were struck or released so a bit of a mystery. As I have previously reported, the mintage of Cayman Islands issues of same vintage were a bit of a mystery but evidently were in the 200-340 range over the 1984-88 range.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Photos?

Franklin Mint doesn't do any more, right? so who minted the Jamaica sets?

I bet they'll have the data. And since these are modern sets, they are probably still in business and willing to share. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all Royal Mint products and have been since 1985 - neither Royal Mint nor Bank of Jamaica seem to know anything about years of production or NET releases of sets...Will try to get pictures (not my strong suit).

It is quite a challenge to get all of the years: 1985, 1987, 1988, 89, 90-96, 98, 00, 01.
  • Options
    I have a few. I'll have to check and see which years. Some are listed in Krause at ~$100 and ~$200 but I didn't pay that much. Good deals on eBay image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Glad to help if you have any questions...
  • Options
    Royal Mint questions: does anybody know who is on first with them?

I say that because they don't answer and may not be able to answer questions. I have a pet theory that the coin/money/banking system principles must have gone to the same "manana" school that their comparables in Mexico did...LOL (of course)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do much with the Falkland Islands?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Well, used to get the little cello packs of early 80s bits - I think Cladking on these Boards would love these things - from, I think, Lauren Benson in Iowa - would love them. Some unloved coins with mintages as low as a couple of thousand dumped into banks. I got tired of trying to chase them but would make a good collection target for someone into scarce and esoteric.

The silver Conservation coins et al not very uncommon, the Royal Mint schlock commemorating the Queen's Fusiliers just that (just kidding, but some of the issues are about that stupid).

I think they may have had a Royal Mint set or two struck in this "unknown" era of the Jamaica sets that I speak of. These were all base metal and doubt there were a lot of buyers. So are the authorised mintages the actual number of sets made AND released? I don't know. Be nice if they were more forthcoming.

That's a lot of hyphens, so excuse the late hour.

Wow, CK hope all is happy at home with that bit about the wife. Maybe that's why I had to get a divorce once mine created a "finished work" . LOL
  • Options
    A finished work?

I've been known to acquire scarce and esoteric pieces.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE