Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pretty cool NEWP: Mirror Brockage Denarius!

I'm new to the ancient coin scene, but I just had to pick this one up!

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theyre common on roman republics and dont command a huge premium usually. Theyre still cool though. I like them alot.

Great pickup.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to buy a republican denarius.
    That's one I would like to own.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive coin and exceptionally nice pic. Congrats

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I like it!image
    Becky
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I had one on a Republican denarius, once, but yours is nicer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Theyre common on roman republics ... >>

Why? and is/was there a difference between "brockage" in ancient times vs modern minting?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Theyre common on roman republics ... >>

Why? and is/was there a difference between "brockage" in ancient times vs modern minting? >>

"Common" is a relative term. The principle of a brockage coin is the same between ancient and "modern" coins. Regarding "... don't command a huge premium" then it depends on what is meant by "huge." I'll buy Roman Republican brockages at little to no premium all day long. Although the premium is minimal compared to 19th century US coins (a full brockage is crazy expensive for US "type" coins), brockages of ancient Greek and Roman coins do command a premium as there are a few dedicated collectors out there who are willing to pay a premium for nice examples.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    interesting, I like it!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, astrorat. I think. Not sure I'm any clearer on the subject than I was before. But appreciated. Didn't think I'd never get an answer to that query. image

I thought the commonality of Roman brockage errors, compared to moderns, might be due to the drastic improvements in our minting process. I'm confused as to how someone who is hammering the coins by hand could produce so many errors ... wouldn't they have been fired / replaced / slaughtered by their taskmaster?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE