Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Adrian Beltre Hall Of Fame?

2»

Comments

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Of course, as of right now, Beltre isn't a Hall of Famer. These discussions are rarely about a player being a HOFer "right now". You have to use SOME foreshadowing. To say he isn't and will never be a HOFer is pretty short-sighted when his offensive stats and defensive prowess are lining him up to be a serious candidate. He doesn't seem to be slowing down and is a POSSIBLE 500/1,500/1,500//3,000 guy. No one with stats like that, other than known PED users, will not make the Hall... ESPECIALLY when he is possibly top-5 all-time at his position defensively.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, as of right now, Beltre isn't a Hall of Famer. These discussions are rarely about a player being a HOFer "right now". You have to use SOME foreshadowing. To say he isn't and will never be a HOFer is pretty short-sighted when his offensive stats and defensive prowess are lining him up to be a serious candidate. He doesn't seem to be slowing down and is a POSSIBLE 500/1,500/1,500//3,000 guy. No one with stats like that, other than known PED users, will not make the Hall... ESPECIALLY when he is possibly top-5 all-time at his position defensively. >>

Very well said +1.

joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dale murphy was more dominant...I'd like to see him get in....

and gil hodges should be in....see below

Who hit the most home runs in the 1950's?
    Answer:
    The answer is Duke Snider. Here are the leading HR hitters from 1950 - 1959.

Duke Snider 326
    Gil Hodges 310
    Eddie Mathews 299
    Mickey Mantle 280
    Stan Musial 266
    Yogi Berra 256
    Willie Mays 250
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hodges should absolutely be in. In addition to his hitting, at least one of his HOF teammates has declared Hodges the best fielding 1st baseman he ever saw.

High praise indeed. Perhaps if the Yankees hadn't won nearly very World Series...........

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Name 5 better defensive 3rd basemen?

Name two with a better arm?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People can say what they think on this board and give their opinion in saying if there is no definitive proof that a player has done PEDs, then they should be in the Hall. However, as far as I know, no one on this board is a Hall of Famer voter. We can give all of our opinions that we want, but we don't vote. However, the people who do actually vote have shown that they're not going to vote for anyone with suspicions (at least in their first year). We'll have to see if the Bagwell, etc, go up this year or not to see if the voters are willing to give more benefit of the doubt. However, from last year's vote, they are not, so based on that Beltre isn't going to get in. As to those who think that this will mean no one will get in, I don't think so. Here is who I think will get in: (list of eligibles here: Link)

2014:

Greg Maddux
    Tom Glavine (eventually, maybe not first year)
    Mike Mussina (maybe, maybe not)
    Frank Thomas (probably)

2015:

Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    John Smoltz (eventually)

2016:

Ken Griffey Jr.
    Trevor Hoffman (maybe)

2017:

Vlad Guerrerro (not sure)

2018:

Chipper Jones (probably)
    Omar Vizquel (maybe eventually)

Others in the future:

Mariano Rivera
    Derek Jeter

That's a lot of players already, so there will still be plenty of choices for the voters who don't have to choose those suspected of PEDs. >>

I think Jim Thome will get quite a few votes of consideration in 2017 too, and maybe Jeff Kent in 2014. As far as others not on your list, Biggio has a great chance. Will be interesting to see how Pudge, Bagwell, Piazza, & Sheffield do in votes.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Never. They wouldn't be able to touch his head to produce an accurate bust for his plaque...
  • Options
    3000 Hits and 500HR's puts him in. Lets see how he finishes his career first.
  • Options
    Adrian Beltre just got his 2500th career hit. He's just 35 as his birthday is 4/7/1979. Definitely, going to be a controversial pick if he crosses 3,000 and gets in one day.

MLB Website Link
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4-time Gold Glove 3B, 3 Silver Slugger awards, 11 seasons of 20+ HRs.

This guy is a HOFer.
  • Options
    Yes, Beltre will be in the HOF, probably 1st or 2nd ballot would be my guess
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of that '97 bowman chrome set, who would've thought that so many of the rookies were gonna fizzle out?
    I think the only rookie from that set that has a legit shot at the HOF is halladay
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Billy Wagner, LOL!
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If he gets 3000 hits, there won't be anything controversial about it. >>

biggio's got 3,000, lots of other decent stats and he's still not in yet

beltre is nowhere near a 1st or even 2nd ballot guy even if he does get to 3000 hits - he'll have to get to 3k to even have a chance
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3000 Hits and 500HR's puts him in. Lets see how he finishes his career first. >>

it didn't work for Palmeiro, and there's only ever been i think 4 people do it
  • Options
    If Beltre gets to 3,000 then maybe he gets in . I find it hard to believe that he's only 35 . If he can stay a good daily player for 3 more years I'd be shocked . If Beltre ends up with 2,850 hits and 430 home runs , he won't make it to the Hall . Beltre has to get 3,000 hits . He's been under the radar , kind of like Jim Thome with the home runs . He needs at least 3 more seasons of being a starter.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he gets in no problem eventually. Hes having another very good season right now. He just hit his 9th homer of the season tonight and is hitting .325.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Even though Biggio has some impressive stats in hits, sb, and runs.. his last 8 years were rather mediocre. I understand there are compilers in the HOF but he stands out to me as one of the best compilers.

Biggio stats
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>3000 Hits and 500HR's puts him in. Lets see how he finishes his career first. >>

it didn't work for Palmeiro, and there's only ever been i think 4 people do it >>

The only reason he's not in is the PED stain. If not for that, Raffy goes in first ballot, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Beltre's made 3 all star teams in an era where they have 70 guys selected to the game every year. That says a lot. even Biggio, the ultimate compiler who never got hurt (who I don't support), made 7 All Star teams.