Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1932 US Caramel Presidents Set

Hey, I just learned about these cards and pretty inrigued in starting to collect them. Any experience with them anyone??

Comments

• Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Morning,

What would you like to know? Lots of experience.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    hmm...how popular/unpopular are they? collecting in high grade looks fairly difficult. not much high grade stuff on psa. i learned about the super short print wilson card.

buying raw off ebay and subbing? or buying graded already?

oh and whats the deal with the different colors? are some more rare than others?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I know one of the cards is a bear to get. Like other sets, they short printed one. So, if you want the whole set, you are going to eventually have to pony up to get the one president.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The rare short print is McKinley, not Wilson. Blue is hardest, followed by orange, and red is easiest. Not usually a lot of raw on Ebay in anything higher than a 2-3 grade. 3-5 grade in holders usually pretty reasonable. Check VCP for pricing as there should be fair number of sales in there.
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Morning,

Fairly popular withe Pre War Non Sports Set collectors, probably Top 3 or Top 5, most pre 70's Non Sport collectors would like to have them as well. Very Iconic set and crosses over to the sports collectors as well due to the manufacturer, subject, and the general appearance, ect.

Even a Low grade set built from raw is going to cost you a few pennies or moreimage After grading and associated costs I would expect you to have about $30-$50 into each card. Not undoable but should be aware for your budget. And that's for 2's and 3's.

As for colors, there are 3-4 colors and varieties of colors vary as well, poor manufacturing partially to blame, poor QC ect. Have never heard of any real rarety because of a difinitive color variety, but somebody elses opinion could be contray to that.

Unless you hit the lottery you will never have a McKinley (Wilson is not the Rare one), believe that there are 4 graded, I know of another 5-6 in existence, there will never be more than another random 1-2 discovered, all were destroyed by the manufacturer as a redemption. Most definitely one of the Top 10 rarest Non Sport cards and desirablity as well.

Hope this helps.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    very interesting

thanks guys

didn't know it was so popular. would be fair to say the "popular" presidents are the most costly irrespective of condition (lincoln, washington, roosevelt, etc)?
  • Options
    HeadsUp38HeadsUp38 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I collect the set, but not as intensely as I should. I've lost a couple auctions on the Washington, but have missed some opportunities as well. They tend to appear on eBay in groups and the groups will appear on average once-two times a month. I don't follow the pricing on Lincoln or FDR, because I have those two and got them early thinking they were more popular and pricey. I don't collect the different colors either though I do not have any of the blue variations. I've found them as low as <$10 in FR-GD, but mid grades can cost you as much as $20-30 or more. Some people want mid grade Washington and others for $100 or more and that's way too high. I'm a big collector on US Presidents, and this is a cool little set. I'll finish it eventually.

Craig H.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McKinley

I saw this on another board. Pretty crazy.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I know 1932 Caramel are more rare and desirable but I put together a 1956 Topps US Presidents set and love it. It was fun to put together as well. A cheap alternative and I like the artwork.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming this card is real it is a very valuable card. I recall seeing this in a recent piece that PSA did.

Top 20 Rarities

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Is there added value to the "cancelled" cards that are not McKinley? I didn't know that the entire set had to be submitted for redemption ... So I'm assuming there are very few cards with the cancelled stamp. A buddy of mine got a cancelled Washington slabbed and was wondering the value.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here