Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

.5 grades rare?

Just wondering, but why are there so few .5 grades by PSA? Do collectors prefer whole grades over .5 grades? I have a 1974 Topps Pete Maravich #10 PSA 8.5 and it's pop 1 while PSA 8 is pop 119.

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Sometimes I think it depends on how the graders' first cup of coffee tastes.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I like the 1/2 grades...it used to be if it was a nice 8 BUT could maybe be a 9...it usually got stuck with a 8...but a 8.5 is nicer to know that it almost was a 9 then a really nice looking 8....just my 2 cents
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the .5 grade is a great idea. I think the graders are not used to using it, old habits and thinking die hard. I would bet the .5 grade comes in more as a "compromise" grade when two graders disagree on a card.

I recently sold a 1971 Killebrew 8.5 and it sold for much closer to the 8 price than the 9.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I just had a 1962 Bubbles Mars Attacks Number 52 card grade 8.5. Really sweet looking card. I am not looking at the pop now, but I think it is a pop 1 with 1 higher (9).

• Options
    skinnyjhskinnyjh Posts: 121 ✭✭
    The .5 grades have only been out for a few years, so many of the 119 PSA 8s were not able to be 7.5s or 8.5s at the time.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know if it was a new thing or not. It looks better than an 8 to me and it was a fraction of the cost of a 9. BTW, I got PSA to release the cert. today because it was registered to the previous owner.

imageimage

• Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Mires,

Did you see Maravich last week on Up Close Classic (on ESPN Classic). It's on early in the morning. Featuring 80's or 90's sports stars.

I was too young to see Maravich play, but some interesting stories. Like his dad made him dribble around the house. He use to practice dribbling from a moving car?
  • Options
    I didn't catch it but it sounds good. I never saw him play either, since I was born 1 year after his retirement, but he was different and definitely ahead of his time. There are a couple of good books about him I need to pick up and read. When I started looking at vintage players to collect I started searching Youtube for videos and his game grabbed my attention. The more I found out about him the more interested I became.