Home Sports Talk
Options

All Time Basketball Dream Team

With Karl Malone's recent fiasco of not including Michael Jordan on his starting 5 and then reversing, Link, who would be on your All Time Dream Team? This would be your 12 man roster, so you couldn't load up TOO much at one position. Here is mine although I took the liberty of putting Bill Russell as a power forward:

Starting 5
--------------
Wilt Chamberlain - C
Bill Russell - PF
Lebron James - SF
Michael Jordan - SG
Magic Johnson - PG

Bench
-----------
Shaquille O'Neal
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Larry Bird
Julius Erving
Jerry West
Pete Maravich
Oscar Robertson

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad 12, but I would substitute Kobe for Maravich.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Magic, Jordan.

Nobody's beating that team.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    On another sports board I visit, people were debating Duncan top 10 all time. If he's not there, it's close.

Starting 5,

Kareem (in his prime)- C
    Chamberlain - PF
    Lebron - SF
    Jordan - SG
    Magic - PG

Bench,

Shaq
    Russell PF
    Bird
    O Robertson
    Kobe
    West
    Duncan PF
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all fairness, it seems that there should be a separation based on how the game has changed- perhaps a pre 1976 team and a post 1976 team.

While this may not be the best cut off date to some, it just seems comparing certain players from the 1940s through the early 1970s to more recent times may not be reasonable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

Magic Johnson-PG
    Michael Jordan-SG
    Larry Bird-SF
    Charles Barkley-PF
    Shaquille O'Neal-C

John Stockton-PG
    Kobe Bryant-SG
    Tim Duncan-PF
    Karl Malone-PF
    Wilt Chamberlain-C
    Bill Russell-C
    Hakeem Olajuwon-C
  • Options

<< <i>Magic Johnson-PG
    Michael Jordan-SG
    Larry Bird-SF
    Charles Barkley-PF
    Shaquille O'Neal-C

John Stockton-PG
    Kobe Bryant-SG
    Tim Duncan-PF
    Karl Malone-PF
    Wilt Chamberlain-C
    Bill Russell-C
    Hakeem Olajuwon-C >>

Where's Lebron?
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    No Sixth Man designation? They've had a Sixth Man of the Year award since the late 80s after all.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    My team consists of only retired players :

C Bill Russell
    F Larry Bird
    F Elgin Baylor
    G Magic Johnson
    G Michael Jordan

C Wilt Chamberlain
    C Abdul-Jabbar
    C-F Akeem Olajuwon
    F Bob Pettit
    F Julius Erving
    G Jerry West
    G Oscar Robertson

Hated to leave off these 15 players :

C Moses Malone
    C David Robinson
    C Shaq O'Neal
    C George Mikan
    F Dolph Schayes
    F Karl Malone
    F Charles Barkley
    F Elvin Hayes
    F Rick Barry
    F-G John Havlicek
    G George Gervin
    G John Stockton
    G Scottie Pippen
    G Bob Cousy
    G Walt Frazier
  • Options

<< <i>In all fairness, it seems that there should be a separation based on how the game has changed- perhaps a pre 1976 team and a post 1976 team.

While this may not be the best cut off date to some, it just seems comparing certain players from the 1940s through the early 1970s to more recent times may not be reasonable >>

Refusing to compare them is boring

the 12 I would take
    Magic, Robertson, Jordan, Bryant, James, Bird, Erving, Duncan, O'Neal, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabar, Russell
  • Options

<< <i>Where's Lebron? >>

He got knocked into the next century by the The Round Mound of Rebound!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Nice thread...here's mine...

Magic Johnson-PG
    Michael Jordan-SG
    Larry Bird-SF
    Tim Duncan-PF
    Bill Russell-C

Wilt Chamberlain-C
    Hakeem Olajuwon-C
    LeBron James-PG/SG/SF
    Scottie Pippen-PG/SG/SF
    Kobe Bryant - SG
    Kevin Garnett - PF
    Isiah Thomas - PG

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Fun thread, Here is mine:

Starters:

Wilt Chamberlain-C
    Tim Duncan-PF
    Lebron James-SF
    Michael Jordan-SG
    Magic Johnson-PG

Bench:

Bill Russell-C
    Shaquille O'Neal-C
    Abdul Jabbar-C
    Larry Bird-SF
    Julius Erving-SF
    Oscar Robertson-PG
    Kobe Bryant-SG
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I will list my team, then explain.

C: Bill Russell
    PF: Tim Duncan
    SF: Larry Bird
    SG: Jordan
    PG: Stephen Curry

Bench

C: Wilt
    C: Olajuwon
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki
    SF: Lebron
    SG: Reggie Miller
    PG/SG: Jerry West
    PG: Magic

I decided to not pick the 5 best players, but to pick the 5 best to make up a well rounded team. Then have a bench that can fill similar roles. Having too many guys on the floor at once that demand the ball doesn't work IMO. You will always have guys standing around and watching until its their turn on the next possession.

My team would center around Michael Jordan on offense, with him having the ball a majority of the time. I wanted 2 great shooters to space the floor (Bird and Curry), 2 bigs to rebound, 1 of which has the ability to score in the post (Duncan). On defense, I have 2 great defenders inside, and one of the best on the ball defenders in Jordan. Currys defense is lacking, but he is in there to spread the floor on offense. He has 2 big guys defending the rim.

For my bench, I went with 2 bigs, 1 PF that can shoot outside, the all around guys like magic/LeBron, and spread the floor again w/ a great shooter like Miller. Jerry West is another all around guy to fill the bench.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent point. The best "team" would not have the five best players on it, but rather the players who compliment each other's skill set the best. There is only one ball, and you can't have a team full of players who need x amount of shots per game to be effective. Dennis Rodman would be the ideal guy to have on the team for his lock down defense, uncanny ability to rebound the ball on both offensive and defensive ends, and his unselfishness. I've never seen a player so indifferent to scoring points as Rodman, which was the perfect ego to have on the great Bulls teams of the late 1990's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where's Lebron? >>

He got knocked into the next century by the The Round Mound of Rebound! >>

You can't honestly believe you'd rather have Charles over Lebron, can you?
  • Options

<< <i>That's an excellent point. The best "team" would not have the five best players on it, but rather the players who compliment each other's skill set the best. >>

The definition of the best players are whomever will best help the team win. There are quite a few who would do that better than Curry or Miller
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Wilt, Magic, Mike and then I don't know. Those are the three clear cuts to me.

I might go LeBron next!?

• Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's an excellent point. The best "team" would not have the five best players on it, but rather the players who compliment each other's skill set the best. >>

The definition of the best players are whomever will best help the team win. There are quite a few who would do that better than Curry or Miller >>

Obviously I think Stockton, Magic, Robertson, and Lebron are much better than Stephen Curry overall. But when you have Jordan on your team, you don't need someone to run the point. Just a guy with good handles who can bring the ball up, and can spread the floor. Having Lebron and Magic out there together doesn't make sense. They both need the ball to be effective and they don't do well moving without the ball. That's why a guy like Curry works within my team, because he can move without the ball and spread the floor. Lebron and Magic aren't legitimate outside threats like Reggie Miller and Stephen Curry.

I'd have no problem building a team around Lebron or Magic or Jordan. I just don't see all 3 fitting well together. Just look at how bad the Heat offense is in the half court. Wade and Lebron need the ball in their hands and like to control an offense. They look great when they cause turnovers and get out on the break, but in a half court set it is rough.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread doesn't even exist until someone puts Oscar Robertson in the starting 5.
  • Options
    Bird
    Russell
    Parish
    McHale
    Big O

Jordan
    Hondo
    Dr. J
    Walton
    Van Lier
    George McGinnis
    James Worthy
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    C: Hakeem Olajuwon
    PF: Otis Thorpe
    SF: Robert Reid
    SG: Clyde Drexler
    PG: Kenny Smith

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts