Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Neat CNUT

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
EVP - this is your fault with all these neat posts image I really dont know much about this and will not let it become a theme... but... design and eye appeal is killer in my honest opinion. I guess there is a Viking peck on Cnut's neck?

Will keep it with me for a bit until I have a nice Taler hit me up for cash.

Comments

• Options
    That sure is pretty! I could see getting very enamored with designs like this.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, and I'm glad to see you are maintaining the focus you talked about in your new years resolution post. image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice, and I'm glad to see you are maintaining the focus you talked about in your new years resolution post. image >>

I see what you did there image

Nice penny, Z!

I have one of those hammered ones laying around - no idea what it is. One of these days i'll take a picture and ask you guys image
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin, Zohar, but are you sure you want to get into this series? That hit on the neck looks to be a peck mark, although a slight bit heavier than I normally see. Still, a nice piece.

This is my S-1158 (York, Wulfnoth) that I bought in 1/2012 and graded EF (not the same as a PCGS or NGC EF40) by the seller:

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Thanks all.

Jeff - it's June and I have been good!

EVP - I am gettin in and soon out. I dont feel you can do this unless you focus on these in full, and I am vested in the Taler set. This came at me and had to grab it and see it in hand given your collective enthusiasm with these. Very appealing and amazing for a 1000 year old coin.

Z
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    am gettin in and soon out. I dont feel you can do this unless you focus on these in full, and I am vested in the Taler set.

good plan image
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a very amazing piece for its age. Cnut the Great was King over Denmark, Norway and England. I know the reigns of Aethelred II and Edward the Confessor were known for appeasing the Vikings with Danegeld payments, and thus you can find hoards of their coins in very nice condition today. But for Cnut, I think the availability of his coins is due simply to the stability of his reign and the trading he did with his neighbors.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Cool coin Zohar!

It is certainly difficult to stick with just one theme when there are so many fascinating coins out there!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice Cnut. Now, how do you pronounce "Cnut"?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm cnuts for your Cnut!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cnut made me immediately think of the latest sensation, the cronut. If you haven't heard of it, Google it and prepare to endlessly lust for one with me. I need an excuse to go to Manhattan and expense it to my company...

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat Penny, but it looks like an extra pair of lips to meimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin with exceptional eye appeal. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins!

I passed up a book on Cnut from a street vendor in NYC once for real cheap, probably should have grabbed it

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Zohar, the colours of that coin are so beautiful in the pics it looks like a stained glass window. I think you made a wise purchase.

I'm curious, what is the composition? Ae? I guess I could look it up, but …

One potentially negative comment: I'm surprised at how different the portrait of your S-1158 looks compared to EVP's. Is that normal for this type? If I saw that much variation in design on a modern type I'd cry counterfeit (sorry EVP but his is certified image)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thanks Lochness. Actually sold it to fund a massive taler purchase. If someone wants it Greg at Stacks has it for sale.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>
    One potentially negative comment: I'm surprised at how different the portrait of your S-1158 looks compared to EVP's. Is that normal for this type? If I saw that much variation in design on a modern type I'd cry counterfeit (sorry EVP but his is certified image) >>

You can often tell in which part of the country they were struck based on the regional portrait styles.
  • Options
    RobP, thanks for dropping that knowledge! I love knowing from where the coin originated. Too many coins in my collection without mintmark and no way to tell.

Zohar, well I guess you stuck to your plan so no harm done. But what a beauty you got to enjoy for that brief time!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    LochNess that is what I do from time to time. Own for a bit and pass along. These are very neat and I can see the appeal in collecting these.
  • Options
    Cnut quatrefoil, East Anglian style (Cambridge)

West of England style (Crewkerne)
  • Options
    Wow that Crewkerne is rather purrty, too! Hmm I may need to add a hammered piece to my "box of 20." I really admire how the light is reflected off those surfaces. Say now, I have a ball-peen hammer and a low-value copper ... artwork of sorts? until I can afford the real deal? image

OK enough jokes, here's my contribution to this wonderfully educational thread: Hammered Coin - The Site for All Hammered Coin Enthusiasts

evah hoyd of it?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Wow that Crewkerne is rather purrty, too! Hmm I may need to add a hammered piece to my "box of 20." I really admire how the light is reflected off those surfaces. Say now, I have a ball-peen hammer and a low-value copper ... artwork of sorts? until I can afford the real deal? image
    >>

There are considerably cheaper and more accessible ways of buying a nice example than the Crewkerne. Some mints are common, others rare. The top one above (Cambridge) is common, the one below (Crewkerne) not. There are about 29 or 30 coins known for the mint, with half a dozen in private hands. It's a mint where you buy what appears irrespective of grade, because you might have to wait a very long time for the next one. There are several dozen common mints for Quatrefoil and decent coins are readily available. Just wait for the right piece (in your eyes) and it will cost you 5-10% of a rare mint example in comparable grade.
  • Options
    Understood.

So what did you think of that site? Where do you go for references on hammered coins and mints?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE