Home U.S. Coin Forum

2012-S Washington America the Beautiful Quarters uncirculated question

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
What year was the last uncirculated S mint quarter minted, other than 2012? image

Also, this mint mark was not minted for circulation was it?

Lastly.......is this something we should have paid attention to?

It may have been discussed here but I just saw one today in a coin shopimage ( had no idea)

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976-S we had a silver MS coin.

Then, back in 1954-S.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    I did. I'm speculating, much like you seem to be. If slots are made for them in any of the binders, it will help with values.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these worth stashing away? >>

I think so. Less than 75 cents each for uncirculated 2012-S quarters in a reasonably popular series with barely half the mintage of the 1950-D nickel, and much of this low mintage tied up by roll and bag collectors.

Although 2013-S mintages may be higher, 100-coin bags of this year's first two ATB quarters are available from the Mint at $34.95 per bag. That's 35 cents each for quarters that likely will still have reasonably low mintages.

Low risk, high potential reward IMO. Especially as more collectors come to realize that these coins exist.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    The 12-S quarters have been widely hoarded by speculators. I'm guilty of owning nearly 100 rolls!
  • razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Oh, so you are the one... I was at a local coin show a couple weeks ago, albeit a small one-maybe 30 vendors, no one knew the 12s existed outside proof sets. But, then, I couldn't find anyone, even a 2nd generation professional coin guy, who knew of the wounded eagle either.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OLD THREAD WARNING

A question about the uncirculated S-mint ATB quarters. In 2012 weren't they sold in a five-coin soft pack as well as in rolls?

If so, how were they offered in 2013 and 2014?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>OLD THREAD WARNING

A question about the uncirculated S-mint ATB quarters. In 2012 weren't they sold in a five-coin soft pack as well as in rolls?

TD >>

I was buying them in 2012, and never saw any offers of five-coin soft packs from the Mint. There might have been privately assembled soft packs, though.

It turns out that some of the 2013-S quarters had even lower mintages than the 2012-S. A few of the designs came in around 1.3 million.

I think they all will increase in value, but slowly as awareness grows and album spaces for the "S" coins become more available.

Some of the recent "S" quarters are available from the Mint at only 35 cents each in bags of 100, creating a decent low-risk speculation (provided you have the storage space). Of course you have to shop carefully, as some of these coins are real turkeys! image

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Now why can't they start with some W Mint ATB Quarters also? They could sell a lot of those.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OLD THREAD WARNING

TD >>

proving something does not exist is harder than proving something does exist because the lack of notice could be called an oversight.

I do not recall a 5 coin S mint soft pack.

Here is a Early 2013 NN Mint Stats

look under the heading "America The Beautiful" (note there is no 5 coin circulating mention. There is only 1 circulating entry for 2012)

I recall the S Mint only ever coming in rolls and bags. I recall the soft packs were the P&D only (set of 10).

Here is a 2012 image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Weren't they also sold, from the mint, in a set of 3?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the three coin is a P&D&S-proof

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Ya try to find some Hawaiian "S" mint Quarters at mint price's.

Hoard the keys.
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these worth stashing away? >>

I definitely think so. Especially as the mintages just seem to be getting lower. Some of the latest ones are even near or lower then 1 million as per the redbook.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>OLD THREAD WARNING

TD >>

proving something does not exist is harder than proving something does exist because the lack of notice could be called an oversight.

I do not recall a 5 coin S mint soft pack.

Here is a Early 2013 NN Mint Stats

look under the heading "America The Beautiful" (note there is no 5 coin circulating mention. There is only 1 circulating entry for 2012)

I recall the S Mint only ever coming in rolls and bags. I recall the soft packs were the P&D only (set of 10).

Here is a 2012 image
    image >>

That tells me what I need to know. Thanks!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Some of the latest ones are even near or lower then 1 million as per the redbook. >>

All but one of the 2014-S issues are still available from the Mint, so final mintages aren't in yet. The first 2014 release, Great Smoky Mountains, ended with a mintage of about 1.36 million.

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...One thing I'm happy for is to see that the Washington spaghetti hair-do disappeared on the new quarters! Nice to see the original mop from 1932 again...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file