Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When is Pack Grading Worth it?

I'm hoping there is someone out there besides Tim that can help me out, but we'll see. And of course, Tim, please chime in if you're around.

I am sending in a couple of '86 fleer basketball packs, so I'm looking at my other packs to see if there is anything else that should be graded. My thought is value. If I ever want to sell the packs quickly, I think I might get some pretty low offers if they are raw. For those that don't know, grading is $14 a pack.

I have a lot of late 70s that would get 7s. I have a 74 basketball pack that is in great shape, but fairly off center. I also have a GAI 72 baseball that has the tiniest of tiny tear at the bottom from the gum. What grade would I need to get to make '72, '73 and '74 worth grading? Also, how can I tell what series the 72 and 73 baseball packs are? I think it makes a big difference on 73, but I really don't know.

Finally I have a '91 Desert Shield Baseball pack from the last rip that is in a BBCE holder. Does anyone have a reason as to why that would be better off in a PSA holder with a grade of 8+? It's already labeled as unopened by Steve.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it's always good to get packs graded. There are a lot of questionable people in the hobby, having the pack graded should dramatically help with selling any pack.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

• << <i>I am sending in a couple of '86 fleer basketball packs, so I'm looking at my other packs to see if there is anything else that should be graded. My thought is value. If I ever want to sell the packs quickly, I think I might get some pretty low offers if they are raw. For those that don't know, grading is $14 a pack. >>

If you ever want to sell the pack(s) it definitely needs to de encapsulated. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a second PSA service available that would just label the pack as "Authentic" and available at a much more reasonable cost? I've been asking Steve to do this for several years. I think there's a need for it along with box authentication also. JMO
    Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    I thought I once read here that PSA doesn't great DS packs. True?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I once read here that PSA doesn't great DS packs. True? >>

This is correct. There was some discussion with Steve a while back when we had the group rip that included the DS box about PSA holdering the packs as such, but it was nixed.

I would say that the cost of grading any pack with a retail price greater than $20 will be recouped upon its sale as a graded pack. And for some packs, like 70s baseball, the difference can be significant depending on the grade. The centering of the wrapper is less significant than the condition of the wrapper itself. So if the '74 bkb pack is otherwise mint, you'd probably get an 8 at least, and possibly even a 9. A small tear would limit the grade to an 8, and possibly a 7, but even NM 7 graded packs from the 1970s garner strong prices, at least $15 more than what you'd get if the pack were raw, anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.