Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

81 Topps Henderson PSA 10 Hits $700

Just saw this on VCP. Always liked this card. Pretty tough actually with just 2% rate of 10s. I used to hoard this card in 10, I loved it so much, but sold two off. Always wanted a mint one as a kid but the ones in my neighborhood were always so beat up.

Comments

• JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Having one myself, I think this is fantastic! Looks like it was the 711.00 that sold with Probstein. This card seems to be growing more and more in price. Wonder what the eventual ceiling for this card will be. I've seen it go for 500.00, and I grabbed mine for 350.00. Will this card hit 1K?

Justin

• << <i>Having one myself, I think this is fantastic! Looks like it was the 711.00 that sold with Probstein. This card seems to be growing more and more in price. Wonder what the eventual ceiling for this card will be. I've seen it go for 500.00, and I grabbed mine for 350.00. Will this card hit 1K?

Justin >>

Obviously it will depend on the difficulty of the grading on this card. Obviously an already popular card, but is it as difficult to get in a 10 as his rookie card? I would imagine as the 81's in general seem difficult as a whole. Whether this breaks the $1000 mark is hard to say. If one or two more get graded, how much will it affect the value?

<< <i>

<< <i>Having one myself, I think this is fantastic! Looks like it was the 711.00 that sold with Probstein. This card seems to be growing more and more in price. Wonder what the eventual ceiling for this card will be. I've seen it go for 500.00, and I grabbed mine for 350.00. Will this card hit 1K?

Justin >>

Obviously it will depend on the difficulty of the grading on this card. Obviously an already popular card, but is it as difficult to get in a 10 as his rookie card? I would imagine as the 81's in general seem difficult as a whole. Whether this breaks the $1000 mark is hard to say. If one or two more get graded, how much will it affect the value? >>

Is it too early for it to be hitting 700.00? I bought mine 3 months ago at 350.00. Or is Henderson just gaining some ground in popularity? Are more people collecting his cards? Is this correlating to early 80s cards starting to dry up?

I guess I asked the question the wrong way, I actually believe it will hit 1K, but my question will probably be when and what will the ceiling be. Of course this depends on some factors - how many people will collect (or start to collect) the set in high grade, and are chasing this card to fill other high end sets (i.e. Henderson Basic, Master, whatever). This card is tough, however, there are still a lot of unopened stock out there that people are probably starting to sit on (myself included). Theoretically this card can still be pulled in high quality condition, but is often found with issues when pulled.

Justin
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card could easily hit $1k. Just depends on who the consignor is.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The card could easily hit $1k. Just depends on what the safety bid is. >>

fixed image
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    This price is amazing to me.

Noob question... In theory if you had this card and you were forced to sell right now, would you be happy with your card going up after seeing this price or sad that one hasn't sold in a while and now yours is suddenly going off second?
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Headscratcher, this one is. 37 PSA 10's, there are. Tone of unopened product, there still exists. His 2nd year card it is. One thousand dollars? Understand this, I do not.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    What about the 1980 Ozzie Smith?

Very similar numbers. 30 out of 1800 are PSA 10. 2nd year card. Not even 200 bucks
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I can see the 81 Rickey becoming a routinely 500+ card, maybe more in a few years, assuming like with any card that the pop doesn't explode. He's an amazing HOFer. All time leader in some major offensive categories. For most collectors, his PSA 10 RC is out of reach. Thus, the next best thing is his 81T in PSA 10. It is one of the key cards in the set. It is often found in unappealing condition right out of the pack...

These factors might conspire to help boost it above past trading levels, which have been not too shabby. It's funny, but I was going through cards to sell a couple days ago, and my 81 Henderson was one I decided to keep. Of course then I saw this latest sale and now debating what to do.

As to Ozzie, it's just me, but I've never been a huge fan of his cards. Always seem to have so many on the list ahead of his. I watched them both play and-- to me-- Rickey was just so much more exciting. Especially offensively. And I think offensive output like that draws collectors, in general, more than defense. Just my opinion of course. I respect Smith a great deal.

That said you may have identified an underrated card with the Ozzie 80. In general I believe many second year cards are surprisingly affordable. Could list so many. From Schmidt to Seaver to Molitor to Rose to Ripken. Especially when the RC is a multi-face card, you'd think the first solo card would be heavily collected. It seems that rarely does a second year card get much shine-- notable exceptions being Munson 71 and Brett 76.
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if it continues going up.

-There were A LOT of kids collecting cards in the 80's and early 90's. Look at Dale Murphys rookie or Dawson. A lot of kids saw those cards in display cases, with $45-60 price tags, couldn't afford them.

That group is still far from their peak earning years.

A '78 Molitor PSA 10 sold for $5,800! Ozzie and Henderson rookies are $10,000 + cards. 1981 Topps cards as a whole seem underrated. They are terrible coming out of the pack. Terrible centering. The design and hat logo are also kind of cool.

• schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    I was just thinking this too this past week with 2nd year cards. I just bought a PSA 10 76 Yount for $380. I think this card with under 30 pop has room to go up alot.

Scott
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Headscratcher, this one is. 37 PSA 10's, there are. Tone of unopened product, there still exists. His 2nd year card it is. One thousand dollars? Understand this, I do not. >>

I agree
    Will be very interesting to see where this one lands. Link Last one over 700.00 finished with Probstein, this one is with PWCC. Already around 300.00 after 1.5 days.

Justin
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the 1980 Ozzie Smith? Very similar numbers. 30 out of 1800 are PSA 10. 2nd year card. Not even 200 bucks >>

700:200 = Rickey:Smith

Maybe the market thinks that Henderson is three and a half times a better player than Smith?
  • If PSA is going to give a card - any card - a 10, the least they can do is put a nice label on there. Not some crumbled up label that looks like it was wet at one point and then got dried up and shriveled by the sun.

• << <i>If PSA is going to give a card - any card - a 10, the least they can do is put a nice label on there. Not some crumbled up label that looks like it was wet at one point and then got dried up and shriveled by the sun. >>

PSA didn't use a wrinkled label. This is the result of having been in a damp environment at one time.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA didn't use a wrinkled label. This is the result of having been in a damp environment at one time. >>

Noone cares what you have to say troll. Why don't you go back to your original PSA username. Oh wait - you can't!! You have been banned so many times from PSA I can't even count!

<< <i>

<< <i>If PSA is going to give a card - any card - a 10, the least they can do is put a nice label on there. Not some crumbled up label that looks like it was wet at one point and then got dried up and shriveled by the sun. >>

PSA didn't use a wrinkled label. This is the result of having been in a damp environment at one time. >>

Maurice,
    I just took up for you in a thread the other day but this is absolutely inaccurate as far as any fault of the owner. If you are referring to the card Justin posted then Foo is correct. This is my card. The label/slabbed card came this way directly from PSA and has been sitting in a safe place in my 70 degree home since I subbed the card 3 months ago. Other flips from the same sub appear exactly this way also, so being mostly a noob I noted it but didn't/don't think much of it.

Anyway, now that the auction is posted, this is what I was trying to get at in an earlier post without pimping my own auction. This card hadn't seemed to come up in a long time so I felt it was the time for my first consignment and a resulting strong price. However while my card was waiting for the May PWCC auction the Probstein one came up. Any guesses/predictions as to whether my timing was unluckily off?

Scott

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If PSA is going to give a card - any card - a 10, the least they can do is put a nice label on there. Not some crumbled up label that looks like it was wet at one point and then got dried up and shriveled by the sun. >>

PSA didn't use a wrinkled label. This is the result of having been in a damp environment at one time. >>

Maurice,
    I just took up for you in a thread the other day but this is absolutely inaccurate as far as any fault of the owner. If you are referring to the card Justin posted then Foo is correct. This is my card. The label/slabbed card came this way directly from PSA and has been sitting in a safe place in my 70 degree home since I subbed the card 3 months ago. Other flips from the same sub appear exactly this way also, so being mostly a noob I noted it but didn't/don't think much of it. >>

Whether or not you "took up for" me is irrelevant. My statement is 100% accurate. That label was not wrinkled when it left PSA. The damp environment I referenced isn't necessarily due to improper storage on your part. It could have been delivered by USPS on a rainy/snowy day or the box could have been placed in a humid room at some point after leaving PSA and before you received it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maurice,
    I just took up for you in a thread the other day but this is absolutely inaccurate as far as any fault of the owner. If you are referring to the card Justin posted then Foo is correct. This is my card. The label/slabbed card came this way directly from PSA and has been sitting in a safe place in my 70 degree home since I subbed the card 3 months ago. Other flips from the same sub appear exactly this way also, so being mostly a noob I noted it but didn't/don't think much of it. >>

Whether or not you "took up for" me is irrelevant. My statement is 100% accurate. That label was not wrinkled when it left PSA. The damp environment I referenced isn't necessarily due to improper storage on your part. It could have been delivered by USPS on a rainy/snowy day or the box could have been placed in a humid room at some point after leaving PSA and before you received it. >>

I never said it was relevant. I just mistakenly tried to appeal to your emotions. Whether or not the USPS stored my sub in a humid room during the 3 days it was en route I'll never know but the package arrived on a wonderful weather day IIRC.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Noone cares what you have to say troll.

I think perhaps you do not actually know what 'troll' means on an online forum. Simply because he has caught you out and others in some suspect behavior doesn't make him a troll. He isn't always right but neither are you (68 Ryan milton bradley, bidding on your own consignment, etc).

Robb

<< <i> think perhaps you do not actually know what 'troll' means on an online forum. Simply because he has caught you out and others in some suspect behavior doesn't make him a troll. He isn't always right but neither are you (68 Ryan milton bradley, bidding on your own consignment, etc). >>

You are right. I bid $500 on a card I paid $1,000 for because I had a buyer already lined up at $850. I ended up losing $400 on the card, but I guess I "bid it up". Heaven forbid I try to make a profit.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Why does it matter that you lost money? You bid on your own consigned item. Whether you like it or not that makes you part of the problem.

Robb
  • Maurice, I don't see how the label can't get like that in just 3 days from PSA's office to the time it reches someones home. I believe 100% that it left PSA looking exactly like that. It looks like a sloppy job on PSA's part when putting it in. So I guess we can expect every graded card at the National to have that same sort of label too then right? you know, since everyone is traveling through all different types of weather just to attend.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......This is the result of having been in a damp environment at one time. >>

Wrong, but thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Anyone that has ever cracked open a slab knows the flip sits in a little sunk in section that is designed (length and width) for it to fit into perfectly. I have taken many of the "wrinkled" ones out and the problem is that they are just a little too long length-wise, and that is why they crinkle up a bit.
  • Foo and nam, this label isnt crinkled, wrinkled or crumbled. It is warped and it is absolutely from moisture.

I've seen this hundreds of times and it is most commonly found with the first and last cards in those 24 count boxes that PSA returns your submissions in.

• Can someone please post a picture for Maurice on that graded pack with mold all over, yet to wrinkly label so Maurice can see that he is not always correct.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Foo and nam, this label isnt crinkled, wrinkled or crumbled. It is warped and it is absolutely from moisture.

I've seen this hundreds of times and it is most commonly found with the first and last cards in those 24 count boxes that PSA returns your submissions in. >>

Yeah........no.
  • I just bought a Miguel Cabrera Traded Rookie and the label is all wrinkled, that was the first i saw and asked the seller what was up and he said his last 2 submissions came back that way. I just bought a couple PSA Ripkens and the ssame thing

• << <i>Can someone please post a picture for Maurice on that graded pack with mold all over, yet to wrinkly label so Maurice can see that he is not always correct. >>

The pack holders are designed differently and I'm not familiar enough with them to comment.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the warped label on the 1981 Henderson occurred from being stored in the safe.

I'd suggest that Porkins invest in some silica gel packets if he's going to continue to store his cards in a safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-10gm-Cotton-Silica-Packet/dp/B00967JFMM/
    Maurice is a troll/alt. He has been kicked off on the PSA message boards more times than Carter's got liver pills!! image And he STILL can't tell the difference between a Milton Bradley and a Topps!!
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maurice at least contributes in an honest manner. And he seems to try and help people from what I've gathered. I dont view him as a troll at all.
    " And he STILL can't tell the difference between a Milton Bradley and a Topps!!"
    Is that a joke about yourself? I dont get that comment unless its about you?
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah........no. >>

+1
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

<< <i> And he STILL can't tell the difference between a Milton Bradley and a Topps!!" >>

Extremely difficult to tell the difference between the two! I can post ten cards and would get 10 different answers. I doubt very seriously anyone will get it 100% right. You forget - PSA graded mine....are you mad at me or mad at PSA?
    lol
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    let's talk about quality control. i haven't even seen the card in question. but i do know that the effort at PSA isn't always the same when it comes to the slabbing process.

send in enough stuff and you will receive cards with crumpled or misaligned labels, surface scuffs on the holder, debris inside the holder, GEM MINT 10 cards which have somehow sustained visible damage, holders which do not stack up straight and wobble, and of course, the always plentiful and erroneously labeled card, of which i possess a few.

it's happening more now than I've seen in the past, and it must be a correlation between their hiring policies and the overwhelming amount of business they've produced over the recent couple of years.

production flaws are common. they can't slow down the machines. or else......
  • There's no question that production flaws are common but that is not the case here.

If someone wants to drop Joe Orlando a note, and ask him to check out this thread, I guarantee he will confirm that this is a warped label and that it is from moisture.

• BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I thought Maurice was Levi?

Isn't he?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    let's agree to disagree. the label is too wide to properly fit. look at the back scan in the PWCC auction.

if the label was moistened before it was placed inside the holder, maybe someone licked it. image
  • let's agree to disagree. the label is too wide to properly fit.

+1

Maurice, you’re not going to convince us and were not going to convince you. To me and everyone else, it’s obvious PSA is at fault with these labels being too wide and bunched up and not taking the time to put them on correctly. To say that only the end cards in the box get damaged but not the ones in the middle due to climate change is absolutely ridiculous.

Note: Edit for spelling
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Oy vey!

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone please post a picture for Maurice on that graded pack with mold all over, yet to wrinkly label so Maurice can see that he is not always correct. >>

The pack holders are designed differently and I'm not familiar enough with them to comment.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the warped label on the 1981 Henderson occurred from being stored in the safe.

I'd suggest that Porkins invest in some silica gel packets if he's going to continue to store his cards in a safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-10gm-Cotton-Silica-Packet/dp/B00967JFMM/ >>

This card was not kept in a safe at any time. It was put in a room inside my house from the beginning that holds the same "climate" as the rest of it and never removed until consignment. But this is not something that happened over time anyhow, as I said. The labels were exactly this way when I initially cracked open the sub.

• << <i>This card was not kept in a safe at any time. >>

My mistake. I misread your earlier comment: "The label/slabbed card came this way directly from PSA and has been sitting in a safe place in my 70 degree home since I subbed the card 3 months ago."

It's still a moisture issue.

• << <i>Maurice, you’re not going to convince us >>

That's fine. Ignorance is bliss.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, these threads can really go off a cliff sometimes image
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    And it was going so well at first...dovetailing into a nice conversation about second year cards being potentially underappreciated.

<< <i>And it was going so well at first...dovetailing into a nice conversation about second year cards being potentially underappreciated. >>

I'm surprised he didn't put a picture of the turd in the toilet bowl back up!
  • Two points:

There are hundreds of raw Hendersons out there that make this price beyond dumb but you guys feel free to keep justifying your own collections.

And.....Bobby calling out anyone is comical. Especially after the Uncle Milton episode. It's gettin' shilly in here

<< <i>And.....Bobby calling out anyone is comical. Especially after the Uncle Milton episode. It's gettin' shilly in here >>

I haven't done a darn thing wrong. And if you think I am comical, then speak to all the people who crack out cards over and over until they get desirable grades. Save your rocks for your own glass house there buddy boy.

Once again, PSA graded the card a Milton Bradley. Are you angry at me or angry at PSA? Can YOU tell the difference between a MB and a Topps card. I don't think you can, so stick it where the sun don't shine!
    Bobby, You do know there are ways to tell if a card is a Milton Bradley right? And I think most on here can tell you what a Nolan Ryan Milton should and does look like.
    I dont want a reply as I only feel im talking to a brick wall with you on this.
    But maybe you should drop this topic on miltons.

But on topic to this thread. Even if the lable is messed up by moisture. The card seems Gem Mint to me. And I dont see it having a problem being reholded if one doesnt like the wrinkled lable. Ive seen it before. And this one isnt that bad.