Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little OT but I have an IE Question

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
For whatever reasons, when I'm in Internet Explorer 9, I can no longer login to anything.
I cannot access my eBay, I cannot ppost replies to messages, I cannot login to ...... well.........anything. I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage" page.

It's almost as if my security keys no longer function.

Any ideas??
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He can not connect to the internet.

Sometimes my internet provider goes down and the same thing happens.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be any number of things - your DNS server being offline, a proxy in the middle failing, malware on your PC redirecting you... I suggest installing a different browser (like Chrome, as mentioned above) to start narrowing down the cause in the event that it is browser-specific.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Use Chrome instead... you'll never look back. >>

Well, I may have to as I'm using Mozilla right now. I just hate to figure out how to important all my bookmarks.

Additionally, I'd kinda like to know what the problem is since fixing a real axle shouldn't involve buying a new car.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Did you try clearing the cookies?
  • Options

<< <i>Did you try clearing the cookies? >>

Just did that.

No Luck..............

I did, however, manage to import "some" of my IE Bookmarks.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>I just hate to figure out how to important all my bookmarks >>

It is pretty simple. The link explains it clearly.

Import bookmarks from IE
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing you might try is going into advanced settings on IE and find the box to check which does not allow "3rd Party Extensions". I have had to do that with several computers. I think if you get enough extensions it overwhelms your available memory and pages time out. Mark my words I'm no computer guru but this will speed up your computer and the only reason I see for it is for those who gather browsing history for advertisement purposes.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Use Chrome instead... you'll never look back. >>

So true!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Lee, seriously, still using IE? Chrome is a VASTLY better option in my opinion (and many others). I second the comment of once you switch, you'll never look back. A month from now you'll wonder how you got along without it. It's extraordinarily simple, yet extremely powerful. Bookmarks import without a problem in one step, easily customizable, and so on. You can probably have it all set up to your liking in mere minutes going into it cold.

Keep in mind this forum is archaic by today's standards, so don't expect much to work, like the search function, etc.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing you might try is going into advanced settings on IE and find the box to check which does not allow "3rd Party Extensions". I have had to do that with several computers. I think if you get enough extensions it overwhelms your available memory and pages time out. Mark my words I'm no computer guru but this will speed up your computer and the only reason I see for it is for those who gather browsing history for advertisement purposes. >>

Checking the box allows 3rd party extensions, unchecking it does not allow them. Mine is checked in IE10 no problemmo.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One thing you might try is going into advanced settings on IE and find the box to check which does not allow "3rd Party Extensions". I have had to do that with several computers. I think if you get enough extensions it overwhelms your available memory and pages time out. Mark my words I'm no computer guru but this will speed up your computer and the only reason I see for it is for those who gather browsing history for advertisement purposes. >>

Checking the box allows 3rd party extensions, unchecking it does not allow them. Mine is checked in IE10 no problemmo. >>

Well! I have the terminology correct! The default setting is to allow 3rd party extensions! No reason I have found to allow this! Could be different on others as I am using XP and hope I can continue to do so. Tired of this teach an old dog a new trick! Browsers become outdated for a profit reason IMHO!
  • Options

<< <i>Lee, seriously, still using IE? Chrome is a VASTLY better option in my opinion (and many others). I second the comment of once you switch, you'll never look back. A month from now you'll wonder how you got along without it. It's extraordinarily simple, yet extremely powerful. Bookmarks import without a problem in one step, easily customizable, and so on. You can probably have it all set up to your liking in mere minutes going into it cold.

Keep in mind this forum is archaic by today's standards, so don't expect much to work, like the search function, etc. >>

Actually, I had the same problem with Chrome today on an older PC with Win XP and it ended up telling me to type this %windir%
    etwork diagnosticxpnetdiag.exe into Run. Fixed it right up.

I find IE is still useful for a lot of things. I had trouble printing shipping labels from the USPS site. Now I just use IE and no problems.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I switched to Chrome too and really like it. Just like with anything, there is a slight familiarity/adjustment period. But Chrome just seems to work and look better for me on the web.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee, seriously, still using IE? Chrome is a VASTLY better option in my opinion (and many others). I second the comment of once you switch, you'll never look back. A month from now you'll wonder how you got along without it. It's extraordinarily simple, yet extremely powerful. Bookmarks import without a problem in one step, easily customizable, and so on. You can probably have it all set up to your liking in mere minutes going into it cold.

Keep in mind this forum is archaic by today's standards, so don't expect much to work, like the search function, etc. >>

Not really....I have tried chrome and others and I still prefer IE.
    For most things, it isn't an issue to use IE at all. Only thing it doesn't do, that I wish it did, would be to easily block ads and other such things.

I use IE 100% of the time now and the majority of websites will always work best with IE as that is what they base most websites on. Others may end up with problems (banking sites, etc), so use other browsers as you will but understand any consequences.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Really?

I downloaded and installed chrome and the absolute very first screen that popped up was spam. I wasn't impressed.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, Chrome gives you the option to import all your bookmarks during install, at least it did for me. Take a screenshot of the exact error you're getting next time you get it, that will help in diagnosing it, also explain the hardware setup you're using (wired, wireless, router type, provider, etc.) as it could be an underlying hardware issue causing your problems. >>

How about this??

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally refuse to install Chrome!! Once you install it Google will follow everything you do on the net for the rest of your life!! Chrome is a info mining drone program. Passss!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I totally refuse to install Chrome!! Once you install it Google will follow everything you do on the net for the rest of your life!! Chrome is a info mining drone program. Passss!!!!! >>

Yep. What does Google produce to make money? Nothing. They mine data and sell ads. The better they can focus the ads, the more money people pay them. They "read" your emails, if you use gmail, in order to catch key words/phrases, and then factor the ads from that.
    Why would anyone expect anything less from their browser?

Now, some will say they don't care or they don't have anything to hide, and that's fine. I just don't like companies making money off me like they do. Google is invasive and whiny.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Run MSE Microsoft Security Essentials to check for Malware, etc.

Upgrade to IE 10.0

Make sure all Windows updates are installed.
  • Options
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

What operating system do you use?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I totally refuse to install Chrome!! Once you install it Google will follow everything you do on the net for the rest of your life!! Chrome is a info mining drone program. Passss!!!!! >>

Yep. What does Google produce to make money? Nothing. They mine data and sell ads. The better they can focus the ads, the more money people pay them. They "read" your emails, if you use gmail, in order to catch key words/phrases, and then factor the ads from that.
    Why would anyone expect anything less from their browser? >>

It's going to happen, eventually, regardless of browser. Don't you think?
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why would anyone expect anything less from their browser? >>

It's going to happen, eventually, regardless of browser. Don't you think?
    Lance. >>

Honestly, not to the extent that google already does it.
    Too many people are watching MS and complaining. Google and apple are next....they do a lot of things that cost MS tons of money and got them sanctioned, yet people think they are benevolent and "good".
    So, no, I don't think it will happen, equally, regardless of the browser.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

What operating system do you use? >>

IE and no complaints.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights