Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hello everyone.

I'm a long-time lurker who has finally decided to join the fray. I've learned a lot over the years just watching, and hopefully can be of some interest.

My main collecting interest now is an English monarch set from Edward the Confessor-present.
I have a side interest in Canadian currency, and to a lesser extent Canadian coinage.

Thanks.
Asp

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Welcome image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Where are the cookies?
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Post some pictures when you have a chance!
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome! Post some pictures when you have a chance! >>

I agree, I'd like to see some of the early English stuff. All I have left from my hammered English collection is a Henry II tealby and a couple from Edward I.

Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>My main collecting interest now is an English monarch set from Edward the Confessor-present. >>

Interesting starting point. The obvious question is why start with Edward the Confessor or are you just a contrarian? image Most collections of this period start with Eadgar as the first person to preside over all England though 1066 is another convenient starting date with the cessation of Saxon rule and its replacement with a Norman king.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My main collecting interest now is an English monarch set from Edward the Confessor-present. >>

Interesting starting point. The obvious question is why start with Edward the Confessor or are you just a contrarian? image Most collections of this period start with Eadgar as the first person to preside over all England though 1066 is another convenient starting date with the cessation of Saxon rule and its replacement with a Norman king. >>

I was just wondering the same thing. It'll be easy to find a nice ETC for no more than $1K, but it'll be very hard to find a nice Harold II.

I'm doing an Anglo-Saxon set too, ending with Harold II of course. Where I begin depends how much money I have and availability. I at least want an Alfred the Great piece, but definately want to do a short set of Eadger to H-II in aEF+ plus ancillary/earlier pieces.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all we need now is Hot chocolate and peppermint schnaps
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    ¡Bienvenidos!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. We look forward to seeing some of your collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. I did a similar monarch set at one time.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Regarding starting the series with Edward the Confessor, it was simply a matter of finding a coin that I just couldn't pass up. So I guess if I'm being specific, I have a monarch set starting with William the Conqueror, with a really nice ETC coin as well. I'm not being a rebel on purpose image

I actually joined these forums several years ago, just before my son was born - I didn't realize that a new baby essentially means no coin collecting for awhile. Hopefully, now I'm back in the game again.

At present, I have coins of the following monarchs:
    Edward the Confessor
    William I
    Henry I
    Stephen
    Henry II
    Richard I (Aquitaine)
    Henry III
    Edward I
    Henry VI
    Edward IV
    Richard III
    All the rest except a Mary/Philip combo coin, and an Oliver Cromwell portrait.

Some of the remaining aren't difficult to find (eg. an Edward III groat) but I'm waiting for an example that really speaks to me. I expect William II will be the last I obtain, given the cost.

I'll try to take some pictures, but my few attempts have been laughable compared to what I've seen posted here.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's your Stephen? That was always a tough one to find nice.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome image
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. We love pictures.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm doing an Anglo-Saxon set too, ending with Harold II of course. Where I begin depends how much money I have and availability. I at least want an Alfred the Great piece, , but definately want to do a short set of Eadger to H-II in aEF+ plus ancillary/earlier pieces. >>

It won't be difficult. You will get a gVF piece for under $3K. I paid about $2300 for the current Spink plate coin (2 line penny) just over three years ago, but they come up on a regular basis. The only supply side restriction is likely to be if you want it pre-slabbed. Go raw and there will be a better selection at more reasonable prices
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Greetings
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once attempted a William the Conqueror-onwards Brit monarch set, back when I really didn't have the budget to try something so ambitious.

I had a nice Stephen, which was my pride and joy.

Never finished the set- I fell on really hard times right after that and had to sell most of my stuff. But I had a lot of fun with it and learned a lot about British history that I never had in school.

I bought this John penny not too long ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice John penny.

I'm waiting for an attractive Irish penny of John, simply because I like the triangular design, and it's issued in his name. I already have an anglo-gallic Richard I, and a British West Africa Edward VIII, so my set isn't strictly country-specific to start with.

Stephen actually wasn't too difficult to find in the long run - I'm finding Henry IV to be most difficult to find attractive examples. Even William II seems much easier, albeit at very high prices.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    I think this is one of the most informative welcome threads I've ever read. That's a cool way to step in the door.

"YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm waiting for an attractive Irish penny of John, simply because I like the triangular design, and it's issued in his name. >>

I agree on both of those points. The triangular aspect of the Irish designs are cool. And having the name right there on the coin is a plus.

Say, I know you have Eddie the First, but you wouldn't happen to have any use or desire for an Anglo-Gallic Aquitaine Edward I denier au leopard, would you? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.