Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large Cent Attribution Book

CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
I hope this is not a repeat of a thread done before. I did a search of the forums and from what I could tell it has not yet been covered.

I was wondering what book(s) people find to be the best for learning and attributing large cent varieties? I have heard of a number of books for this purpose, but of course they are not all equal and was wondering what other forum members think.

As a side note, once you have this information, how do you apply it at a show, B&M, or etc.? Do you bring the book with you to help with attributing? Or do you keep in your head as much as you can and hope you remember it correctly?

Thanks in advance.

EDITED: The title of the thread.
Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the Goldberg's auction catalogs that are relevant and put it on your iPad.

I don't think any of the attribution books for Large cents are available as a PDF for iPads and Kindles yet.

My Attribution Guide for Flying Eagle and Indian Cents is sold out of the hard copies (published from 2000 to 2005) and I only sell PDF versions now, which are now in color and updated to the current time. It is a snap to attribute coins from your iPad.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    You are in a tough spot, because the large cent attribution books are not only non-technology, but pricey as well.

Rick's suggestion is a good one. If I can come up with anything else down the road, I will let you know.

Greg
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Noyes books are good, I also like the Breen/Borchardt book for early large cents.
    I also like the Dan Holmes catalogs - which should be available in e- format via the Goldberg site.

A couple of other side notes - not sure what your intent is, but I would be very careful trying to cherrypick at a dealer's table.
    It's one thing to (hopefully) spot a variety from memory or maybe with a quick reference check and snag it; it's another to sit at a table fumbling around with books, catalogs, etc. going through inventory and hoping to strike gold. A number of dealers will flat out ask you to leave.

Another thing to note is that most of the better condition large cents are handled by knowledgeable (EAC) dealers, who likely already have S and N numbers assigned to their inventory. Likewise other less knowledgeable guys take their better coins to these guys to attribute also.
    But there are still finds to be made if you are diligent. Good luck in your endeavor.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are in a tough spot, because the large cent attribution books are not only non-technology, but pricey as well.

Rick's suggestion is a good one. If I can come up with anything else down the road, I will let you know.

Greg >>

Yep, they are quite pricey so that is why I decided to reach out to the community and see if they had any recommendations as to which book is best.

<< <i>Dan Holmes catalogs - which should be available in e- format via the Goldberg site. >>

Thank you very much Rick, Greg and WalkerGuy21D for your help. I did not know I could do that with the Goldberg catalogs. The only link I could find to the auctions you mentioned was this one though. I think you were talking about a better way of doing this. Could you please put a link to one?

<< <i>not sure what your intent is, but I would be very careful trying to cherrypick at a dealer's table. >>

That was my fault for being vague. I just want to learn so that my collection has more meaning to me and so that I can converse with other copper enthusiasts at shows, etc. I understand that most of these are EAC dealers and already have S and N numbers, but I would like to have a greater knowledge of what these numbers mean about the coin in question and not look ignorant.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link you showed (Goldberg -> Holmes auctions) takes you to the right sites.....how this might work on an iPhone or tablet I don't know.
    I know the large format hard copy catalogs are good to use, when you have a cent in your hand, and the catalog, in the comfort of your family room. At a busy show with a small screen it is likely more difficult. Certainly I would think you could discern the major varieties this way though.

I would also recommend to study up before hand, so you can narrow down your searches more quickly....start with something easy, like the 1795, is it a thick planchet, lettered edge variety or a thin plantchet......for 1796 there is the Liberty Cap vs- Draped Bust, then for 1798 is it a Type I or Type II Hairstyle, etc. Get familiar with the major varieties, then branch into the tougher ones - or focus on all the varieties of one date. Also look for the obvious clues - does the coin in question have telltale diebreaks or cuds to help identify it....

Also realize even the experts need to consult guides or other experts on occasion. No shame in asking. If you are at a major show and need help, find Bob Grellman - he's one of the best in the country, and a super nice guy to boot. I believe he still does attributions and EAC grading by mail also, for a very small fee.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DeliaBugDeliaBug Posts: 881
    If you are intending to attribute your coins to S- or N-, just buy those books. Charlie Davis still has overstock Newcomb reprints for $20. Catalogs such as Holmes, Naftzger, Husack, et al will help but the older deluxe Superior sales of Robinson (complete run of all Sheldon #'s) are better as you can use a loupe on the photo plates. You can't do that with these new sales and halftones. And the deluxe Adams FPL of 1794's with the photo plates is awesome, if you're into 1794's.

If you are chasing provenances, different story, and requires many more books.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file