Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where can I get some good information about an 1834 bust half, small date, small letters?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
As I write these words, I am sitting in my overstuffed easy chair, ready to retire to bed, but only after perusing the latest information on the boards.

Recently, I purchased a rather inexpensive 1834 bust half, small date, small letters in PCGS VF (CAC verified, nonetheless), for my nephew as part of his graduation present. Your very own Longacre deals in nothing but six figure coins, so he is not very familiar with such pedestrian specie as a VF bust half.

I was hoping to print out some interesting information about the coin for my nephew, such as information on varieties of the date or other data. Does anyone know if there is any good source of information online that I can print and give him with the coin? It looks like there is a repunched 0 in the "50", but I am not sure.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this thread?
    1834 CBH Thread

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 was "The Year of Kneass' Experimentation", using pre-1834 hubs for WD's, along with new obverse and reverse MD's and later MH's and WD's. In addition Liberty got a smaller portrait, small and large date & lettering were used, much of this for the purpose of tightening standards and quality in order to combat the spate of counterfeits. 1834 also gave us a few odd varieties known as the "Abominable Bast@rds" (forum censor doesn't permit the word).

The 1834 small date / small letters is the last of the year's series.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file