Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am deeply disappointed that this hasn't received any attention here.

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
My friend and fellow forum member Regulated (Dave) may be as well. The highlight of his career to date, and one of the most precious American Coin Treasures has gone unnoticed heretofore. Just wow. Highlights of the sale of the First American Pattern coin. Quite a gutsy play, and a bargain to boot at about 10% of the price paid for the first(?) 1794 Dollar.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am deeply disappointed that this hasn't received any attention here. >>

Well it has now.

Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty cool as well. It's a monster piece. Would love to see it reunited with the set displayed at the Whitman exhibit a few years ago. Just a great piece of history. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it would have gotten some attention if he posted a GTG for his NEWP. image

I really liked reading Laura's insider account of her bidding strategy on big ticket items. Something like that here would be an interesting read.

Nice piece image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome purchase overshadowed by a far less cool nickel. Pity.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool toy, sure. But if I had the money it would not be for me. It just doesn't mean that much to me.

The design of the Continental Currency pieces mean something to me with the states(colonies) listed etc.
    First coin issued by the authority of United States...Fugio, that means something to me.
    Then the first US Mint issues mean something to me from 1792 and 1793 etc.

But of course, no one seems to like the widgets I collect either. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had the bucks to buy that coin...I would buy it before any of the others mentioned! That is true Americana in my opinion! Keep your 13 nickel's,1804 dollars,1794 dollars,1933 Saints,and anything else you can think of! That is the coin to own! Congrats!

I almost started a thread about that coin before it sold. Very Surprised it sold so cheap!

Tradedollarnut....WHY????
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just an old colonial. Of course it didn't get much attention here.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this coindeuce as I truly enjoyed the video with Regulated's post sale commentary! image

However Bob the auctioneer needs to switch to decaf! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Aw, no pics?
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options

<< <i>Aw, no pics? >>

They show a pic in the video.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Aw, no pics? >>

That would help:

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, now that I like!
  • Options
    The interesting thing about the interview is that Don mentions the price of the $10m coin to justify spending $1m on this one. Seems like the strategy of pushing up coin values at the top end and having that trickle down is working! In fact, I think he calls $1m a bargain image
  • Options
    Just shows the Illuminati have been running the show from the very beginning. image

Ultra cool piece. Like it.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Link to pre-sale thread. A very cool coin.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The All-Seeing Eye is watching you!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My apologies. I never intended to disappoint. image
    So glad you brought it the attention it deserves.
    I was completely unaware of this amazing coin and it's place in history.
    Nice interview too. Appears that it ended up in the right hands. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>Link to pre-sale thread. A very cool coin.

-Paul >>

ColonelJessup: Is there interest now at $1M?

CaptHenway: My gut says no, but all it takes is two fools with money and bidding paddles!

Good call Colonel!

Not sure whether TD's call is "good" or not image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Aw, no pics? >>

That would help:

image >>

Deed it does......very very nice coin.....incredible history in that amazing piece.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not enough room here to list the coins that I would rather have than that.

Not impressed at all.
  • Options

<< <i>There is not enough room here to list the coins that I would rather have than that.

Not impressed at all. >>

Why not? image
  • Options

<< <i>There is not enough room here to list the coins that I would rather have than that.

Not impressed at all. >>

There are probably many who would have the same sentiment about your crusade for the 1936 3/2 dime. Meh.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    Given that David's goal was to win at any price, I wonder what was his realistic top end for this image
  • Options
    >>>There are probably many who would have the same sentiment about your crusade for the 1936 3/2 dime. Meh. <<<

Well, I think it is safe to say there are more collectors who like Mercury dimes....than that thing.....whatever it is!image
  • Options

<< <i>Given that David's goal was to win at any price, I wonder what was his realistic top end for this image >>

We all know who the biggest whale is in the Pattern Coin market. It would be safe to say considerably more if that person had been pursuing it.

• Options

<< <i>>>>There are probably many who would have the same sentiment about your crusade for the 1936 3/2 dime. Meh. <<<

Well, I think it is safe to say there are more collectors who like Mercury dimes....than that thing.....whatever it is!image >>

The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! I would take it over a complete set of Merc Dimes with all varieties in top grade PCGS Holders!
  • Options
    >>>The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! I would take it over a complete set of Merc Dimes with all varieties in top grade PCGS Holders! <<<

P.T. Barnum had a saying for people like that.imageimage
  • Options
    So why does it look almost like the 1783 Nova Constellatio?
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    A truly rare piece of early American coin history. Plus, it's a really nice coin, nice look and toning. I would take it any day over millions of other mass-produced coins that all look the same.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!! Cool history! Thanks for sharing.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Aw, no pics? >>

They show a pic in the video. >>

Believe it or not, some peoples' computers are so out of date and/or jacked up that video is a no go. image
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options

Is this enough attention yet or do we need more? image
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I can't even imagine the feeling after you hold up your card and the auctioneer acknowledges your one million dollar bid!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>>>>There are probably many who would have the same sentiment about your crusade for the 1936 3/2 dime. Meh. <<<

Well, I think it is safe to say there are more collectors who like Mercury dimes....than that thing.....whatever it is!image >>

The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! I would take it over a complete set of Merc Dimes with all varieties in top grade PCGS Holders! >>

Not official, not authorized. Not in Judd. Predated by the Continental Dollar.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! I would take it over a complete set of Merc Dimes with all varieties in top grade PCGS Holders! >>

Not official, not authorized. Not in Judd. Predated by the Continental Dollar. >>

Maybe I need to read the auction description again. My memory does fleet from time to time. Continental Dollar was not a US authorized issue if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps you can read it before me as I am tired! image

The other major point is it is unique for collectors! The other is in the Smithsonian!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very important eyes saw that coin.
  • Options

<< <i>
    The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! >>

That to me is very misleading and not even true. It was an authorized PATTERN (not a coin for circulation), just a test of some "stuff" not something intended for circulation with the numbers made. Is it kinda cool, is it interesting, is it a small step in the history of our coinage?....sure! But this is where I quote the 2009 Numismatist of the Year: "Meh."

To quote Redbook: "The first patterns for a coinage of the United States" ... "Neither the proposed denominations nor the coins advanced beyond the pattern stage." They are based on the mark for crying out loud. They are not the first thing made that mention United States. They were not struck at an official US Mint. It was just an authorized little experiment that fizzled and went nowhere. In 1652, the Massachusetts General Court ordered (authorized) the first metallic currency to be struck in the English Americas. That is more significant than this rare blip on the radar in my opinion. Pre-dating the United States of America coinage you had the colonies, the courts of them and they AUTHORIZED coinage...Massachusetts in 1652.

Just because a coin is rare does not make it wanted or respected by everyone.

Like I said earlier in the thread to address SIGNIFICANT events in US Coinage:
    The design of the Continental Currency pieces mean something to me with the states(colonies) listed etc.
    First coin issued by the authority of United States...Fugio, that means something to me.
    Then the first US Mint issues mean something to me from 1792 and 1793 etc.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>So why does it look almost like the 1783 Nova Constellatio? >>

As stated earlier in the thread, if you study a Redbook casually, you'll find the obvious answer.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    The 1st official US authorized Coin! So There! >>

That to me is very misleading and not even true. It was an authorized PATTERN (not a coin for circulation), just a test of some "stuff" not something intended for circulation with the numbers made. Is it kinda cool, is it interesting, is it a small step in the history of our coinage?....sure! But this is where I quote the 2009 Numismatist of the Year: "Meh."

To quote Redbook: "The first patterns for a coinage of the United States" ... "Neither the proposed denominations nor the coins advanced beyond the pattern stage." They are based on the mark for crying out loud. They are not the first thing made that mention United States. They were not struck at an official US Mint. It was just an authorized little experiment that fizzled and went nowhere. In 1652, the Massachusetts General Court ordered (authorized) the first metallic currency to be struck in the English Americas. That is more significant than this rare blip on the radar in my opinion. Pre-dating the United States of America coinage you had the colonies, the courts of them and they AUTHORIZED coinage...Massachusetts in 1652.

Just because a coin is rare does not make it wanted or respected by everyone.

Like I said earlier in the thread to address SIGNIFICANT events in US Coinage:
    Then the first US Mint issues mean something to me from 1792 and 1793 etc. >>

I will say I don't know all that about Colonial Issues. I put a bit of stock in the auction description. 1st I love the all seeing eye! It does have 13 stars! Unique to own and in nice condition. Perhaps the 1st Congressional authorized pattern?
  • Options
    Looks like this pattern is not that exciting to some as to others.image

That's OK....that's what it is all about. Myself along with LOTS of others would find a lot of better ways to spend a million.....if we had it!image
  • Options

<< <i>I sure as shoot like it!
    BUt the max I would drop on a coin is a mere fraction of that, now if it were an apt building that would be a whole other storyimage >>

What if you could get a few people to rent portions of the coin for a monthly fee? image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    JustlookingJustlooking Posts: 2,895

<< <i>

<< <i>So why does it look almost like the 1783 Nova Constellatio? >>

As stated earlier in the thread, if you study a Redbook casually, you'll find the obvious answer. >>

I haven't looked at a Redbook in 30 years. image

Still a nice piece.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Neither the proposed denominations nor the coins advanced beyond the pattern stage."

Sort of like Stellas and Half Unions, and we all know how unpopular those are.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>"Neither the proposed denominations nor the coins advanced beyond the pattern stage."

Sort of like Stellas and Half Unions, and we all know how unpopular those are. >>

The point is that the buyers and sellers of this coin are trying to attribute much hyped historical significance to the item to justify the price. I merely pointed out coinage that I felt was much more historically significant in US Coinage. Are Stellas and Half Unions cool? Absolutely! Are they some of the most historically significant coins in our history? Absolutely not! Kinda like this coin. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find more news and video about coin and paper money collecting at: http://www.coinweek.com

Heritage Auctions Sells Walton Nickel for More Than $3 Million. VIDEO: 5:16

Chinese and South American Coins lead $9.28+ million NYINC World & Ancient Coins Heritage Auction

Heritage-Gemini Ancients sales net $3.4 million, part of Heritage’s $9.6+ million CICF Auction

1907 Ultra High Relief $20 brings $1+ million to lead Heritage’s $27.5+ million Philadelphia auction

Husak Large Cents Soar Past $10.7 Million At Heritage’s $25 Million Long Beach Signature Auction

Coin Rarities & Related Topics: 1792 Silver Center Copper Cent Pattern Brings $1.15 Million

$6.8 million Norman Jacobs Collection leads $20.5+ million Heritage Auction World & Ancient Coins event in Long Beach
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing the "LINK". Some numismatists and collectors seem to be disappointed in the LEAPS and BOUNDS the numismatic road takes. I find almost all of it intriguing. Then again, I'm easily amused.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file