Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern Football (1999 Finest question)

Bought a small football card collection today which included a set of 1999 Finest. All the cards have the protective coating still on them. When I looked at the PSA POP report it shows that a high percentage of these that have been graded have been graded with the protective coating peeled off. Here is the link to the pop report

Link

So my question is, and I am not normally a modern football collector so I know I run the risk of sounding stupid, but why did everyone peel the coating off before having them graded? Because there are way less graded examples with the coating still on do these versions sell for more money or is there no demand for them?

Any help much appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I've not noticed a premium with either one.

Personally, I prefer peeled copies for aesthetic reasons.

Besides, the protective coating becomes pointless once the card is out of the pack and safely stored in a penny sleeve, album page, or slab.

Snorto~
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Also PSA will be grading the condition of the protective peel not the surface of the card underneath, usually these peels (which were intended to be removed) have air pockets, scratches or are beginning to peel on their own in places - so they usually detract from the grade.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    I had the same question for a moss rookie card with coating and board members suggesting to take off coating. It does not increase value with coating and as stated above no need and looks a lot better. Hope this helps and the moss came back a psa 9 and looks great.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Some day years down the road it could turn into one of those strange things where all of the sudden out of nowhere people are going to say...theres hardly any of these graded with the peel still on and the ones unpeeled will go up in value
  • Options

<< <i>Some day years down the road it could turn into one of those strange things where all of the sudden out of nowhere people are going to say...theres hardly any of these graded with the peel still on and the ones unpeeled will go up in value >>

Yeah makes you wonder. I'll likely sub a few peeled and unpeeled on my next sub just to see if I can pick out the 10s.
  • Options
    I sent a handful of refractors to SGC with the peel on. They werent anything worth that much so just wanted them in the black cases. They look great.

I decided to leave the peel on because i felt id rather leave the cards in their original state.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent a handful of refractors to SGC with the peel on. They werent anything worth that much so just wanted them in the black cases. They look great.

I decided to leave the peel on because i felt id rather leave the cards in their original state. >>

You mean in the pack?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    The way I look at this issue is simple.

The peel is to protect the face of the card. If your going to slab it, its going to be protected in the case so peel it.

I have also seen PSA and BGS both knock off for scratches on the peel. I have bought several slabbed with coating - cracked em, peeled em and resubmitted them. They have such great eye appeal compared to a "peel me" sticker with bubbles.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I sent a handful of refractors to SGC with the peel on. They werent anything worth that much so just wanted them in the black cases. They look great.

I decided to leave the peel on because i felt id rather leave the cards in their original state. >>

You mean in the pack? >>

Ok i will re-phrase it - Id rather have the card in the original state it is in when it is removed from a pack..like for example a 1964 topps baseball card without the trivia question scratched off
  • Options

<< <i>

Ok i will re-phrase it - Id rather have the card in the original state it is in when it is removed from a pack..like for example a 1964 topps baseball card without the trivia question scratched off >>

We could discuss this topic all night long. As for the 1964 issue, your kinds defacing the card with a pencil. With Finest "peel me" cards, your actually enhancing the card. I understand both sides of the argument, and respect both. But for me I like to peel them.
  • Options
    Ya i can understand both sides of argument especially if you can get a higher grade on peeled. I sent in about 6 cards to SGC that all came back 9 so i was happy with that. Who knows maybe they are really 10's if peeled