Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I've decided to pop my PCGS submission cherry. Some Q's

I'll be joining PCGS shortly in order to submit an expensive ($3k+) Canadian coin for a client. I am pricing it out and trying to see if it is worth it to go for a Gold or Platinum subscription and send along some of my own coins as well. The coins I'd be sending in for myself are all world coins falling into the $300-$3k category. I see that they have to be submitted under the secure plus tier. I have read dozens of different pages and threads and am still unclear on the process.

The free vouchers are good for Regular Secure World coins, right? I've read conflicting things, but some of the pages may have been written before World pre-1965 coins required SP.

Can I send one coin in as Express Secure and then 4 or 8 in as Regular Secure using the free subscription vouchers?

A submission like this would require two forms and two separate shipping+handling charges?

Thanks in advance. This will actually be my first personal submission ever to any TPG.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be joining PCGS shortly in order to submit an expensive ($3k+) Canadian coin for a client. I am pricing it out and trying to see if it is worth it to go for a Gold or Platinum subscription and send along some of my own coins as well. The coins I'd be sending in for myself are all world coins falling into the $300-$3k category. I see that they have to be submitted under the secure plus tier. I have read dozens of different pages and threads and am still unclear on the process.

The free vouchers are good for Regular Secure World coins, right? I've read conflicting things, but some of the pages may have been written before World pre-1965 coins required SP.

Can I send one coin in as Express Secure and then 4 or 8 in as Regular Secure using the free subscription vouchers?

A submission like this would require two forms and two separate shipping+handling charges?

Thanks in advance. This will actually be my first personal submission ever to any TPG. >>

Not sure about the vouchers, but if you include different types of submission tiers, you need one form for each tier.

Which Canadian are you submitting?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I send one coin in as Express Secure and then 4 or 8 in as Regular Secure using the free subscription vouchers? … A submission like this would require two forms and two separate shipping+handling charges? >>

I don't claim to speak the gospel, but this sounds incorrect. Yes, each "service" tier requires its own form, but you don't have to pay separate shipping.
    Most dealers submit multiple forms together for this very reason. For example my last package included three different "submissions" forms: a World "secure modern," a gold World "secure regular" and a silver World "secure economy." Three different "submissions" in one box = one shipping fee. The more coins you submit, the more cost-effective it becomes.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    For my client, it is a Canadian 1921 5 cent piece.

For my own raw Canadian coins, I have: a couple near gem/gem 1935 and 1936 dollars, a 1929 quarter which should 62 or better, a 1948 half which is about a 60/40 shot at 63 vs AU58, an 1858 10 cent which may go MS63, a 1947 5 cent which might 65, a couple red/RB large cents and an uncirculated (estimtate MS63 brown) 1926 cent. I'll do a proper GTG thread with results once I work everything out.

I do have a raw 2011 reverse proof Eagle from the 25th anniv. set which will definitely 70, but I really don't have any other American coins to submit with it unfortunately.

Thanks for the input. Here is what I've dug up regarding shipping.

http://www.pcgs.com/SubmissionGuide.html
    "Return shipping fees are required for each submission. You may not combine shipping for multiple orders. "

http://www.pcgs.com/faq/
    "Return shipping fees are required for each submission form. You may not combine shipping for multiple orders."

"May I request multiple orders mail together upon completion?
    No. While you may send us more than one submission at a time in the same box, PCGS will return each order individually."
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I believe each service type (world secure vs modern, etc) requires its own order and you do need to pay the return shipping for each order to PCGS separately. However, as a previous poster mentioned you can certainly ship all of those orders to PCGS in a single box which can minimize cost for the outbound shipping.

I recommend using the online submission form as it walks you through each step.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

No. The Express will have to be sent separately, by itself, or with others (either Express too, or other coins in a different form, but NOT the one wiith the vouchers).

Yes. Even so, the 8 free vouchers allow you to submit 8 coins in Regular Tier, ($40 a pop) ,paying only return shipping and handling, at an average of $32 a coin, all included, since your submission cost you $219. Still an excellent deal, far superior to the regular submission that requires $49 (or $69 int) with none of these benefits. I too went for platinum after 5 years of inactivity.

If you happen to visit PCGS Invitational at Long Beach you can submit your express coin there and leave with it 48 hours later.

Edited to add: $219 and $32 a coin average, is my calculations for the International Platinum. US Platinum is at $199 and with much lower return shipping, your average cost on the free voucher coins is less than $28 all included. It's worth it, even if you don't have eight $300+ coins to submit, and you submit economy coins instead, if you believe that you won't have 8 raw $300+ coins in the next 12 months.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3