Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is CCCS a reputable Grading Company ?

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Although their share of the Canadian coin grading market is extremely small. Unlike ICCS, they will attribute errors and less mainstream varieties. They have hard slabs available as well as the ICCS style soft slabs.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In many ways they grade very conservative IMO.
    Owner also operates a Coin auction firm called "lower Canada Auctions".
    They are definitely NOT a basement grader and have a online presents to verify coins they graded.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    They have hard slabs available (they no longer use the soft flips),They are definitely NOT a basement grader and have a online presents to verify coins they graded.

and yet the Canadian buyers keep believing in the ICCS religion, and most haven't even heard of CCCS. (I have because of ajaan.) The mystery of Canadian TPGs.

Oh yes, am I still the ONLY person who actually LIKES the ICCS soft flips? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, Dimitri, think that may be a "Yes"!

I have a couple only, and the plastic is starting to break down - has anybody else had that problem?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They have hard slabs available (they no longer use the soft flips >>

Louis, the owner of CCS, is using both. The selection which to use is purely determined by price and the client.
    If you leave the selection up to him he will "jail the coin in the appropriate holder , based on the coins properties.
    Louis is a very knowledgeable grader, a bit on the conservative side, and he is a welcome competition to ICCS.
    He has no problems listing certain markers, errors and varieties when obvious. (Which ICCS seem to have an issue with, probably because of their old fashion attitudes. They do not even have a web site for coin verification!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Here is a link to his site and prices. IMO, very reasonable. ( and NO, I am not affiliated with him in any way. )

http://www.canadiancoincertification.com/index4.php?c=17&lg=1
    His web site is straight fwd and easy to navigate.

[URL=http://s627.photobucket.com/user/cdncoins/media/IMG_0395_zps550c490a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. And thanks YQQ for letting me know that soft flips are still an option, otherwise I'd be beating myself up for selling a collectable holder.
    Let alone how much I like them. You all store your raw coins in similar flips, but coins stored in no PVC plastic inside soft plastic holders displease you. image

I was trying to lure ajaan into this thread, since he was among the pioneer users of CCCS but clearly he's in no mood for that.
    Maybe his experiences with these coins are something that he doesn't wish to remember. image

edited to add CCCS courtesy linky
    which has a 1939 MS64RD cent on the first page, soft holder, the exact same coin I had purchased from ajaan image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Louis got off on really the right foot when he started CCCS. He set up a very good web-tracking site and had true airtight hard slabs specifically made to fit in readily available boxes that were tamper-proof and better than anything on the market.... although he started with and continues with flips if wanted. He talked to many collectors (me included) for a few years before start-up to get him up to speed on Canadian varieties, starting with the Victoria Large Cent ones. He has expanded to list infinitely more varieties than any other Canadian TPG and was an immediate success, but very small and somewhat limited as to volume flow and turnaround.

He refused to go along with the grading creep (especially ICCS) that permeated much of the TPG market .. where a 5-10 year old 62 is now graded a 64. He is a very conservative grader that sticks to technical grading parameters. But all is not rosy in Sunnyville. My opinion is that he has swung too hard variety-wise, recognizing things that are not varieties, but rather what the customer wants to have on the slab .. even if the remarks say that it is something that it isn't. He also, in my opinion, certifies many many too many coins that have obviously been cleaned or "restored" and makes no mention of it on the holder, especially for large-volume customers. I would still much rather have a CCCS coin in my collection than an ICCS soft flip .. I have seen way too many complete misattributions from ICCS and also seen coin discoloration inside their flips. The web-tacking convenience alone should point people toward CCCS, what with the tampering concerns that many people have... but all TPG's have problems sometimes. But trends of problems concern me and I'm getting that uneasy feeling somewhat with CCCS. Maybe it's just growing pains or that you can't please all of the people all of the time.... I've never been a big fan of ANY TPG's, preferring to grade and authenticate based on my own knowledge since I'm kinda in a niche offshoot. Hi ajaan .. nice porch (private joke) and thanks again.