Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Bar Help

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have 2 Engelhard 10oz poured "loaf" bars. Both are clearly hallmarked and weigh spot-on.

Question about values/premiums: One bar is a true loaf (s/n 77667) and slightly smaller in length and width but a touch thicker than the other (s/n R041386). The pics are the two bars from different angles. What values do you think I should put on these?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    value as to sell i assume...

the p bar should go for $250 maybe u can find someone to pay a tad more...

the other bar $350 or so...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Thanks rawteam1. Any comments on rarity?
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks rawteam1. Any comments on rarity? >>

thats y the other bar is worth a little more...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second bar is an older style and a little more scarcer than the first bar which is fairly common. Neither bar is particularly rare but they do carry a premium because of the Engelhard brand. The 4 oz and 7 oz Engelhard bars are the rare ones and they carry a significant premium over melt value. As far as collector value, condition has an effect on their value. The first bar looks very scuffed up which is why it is valued close to melt. The second bar is the nicer of the two but does have a few marks visible in your pics. Hope this helps.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thank You!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike coins, there are no reference books, grading standards, or price guides for old silver bars so you have to go with your experience and gut feelings. The market for the rare Engelhard bars such as the 4 oz or 7 oz bars is so thin that you need to sell them in a venue such as eBay to get top value and even then you need at least two bidders who really want them badly enough to get into a bidding war.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.