Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 8 Graded Wax Packs can have MOLD on them?

Check out the blown up pictures of the packs. Even the listing mentions that some have MOLD on them, not to mention numerous tears from the gum.

Ebay Link

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    consigned by kruk cards?
  • Options
    They didn't look that when were graded, this occured post slabbing. Maybe the guy got flooded out or something.

That's the tough thing with graded packs, through gum damage or other what was original graded and slabbed is not necessarily what you are buying a few years later. Just like cards buy the pack not the holder.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely post-slabbing damage, the gum tearing the wrapper has been an issue in the past, and I suspect the owner of these packs sustained flood damage at some point (these packs, judging by the cert #s were holdered a few years ago at least). If these packs were to be resubmitted today, I doubt any would grade higher than VG3.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting area on grading.
    What would be the guarantee on this situation? They are graded Nm-Mt but they do for sure look to be VG like grote said. I do feel 100% sure that they did not look like this when PSA graded them. And having the gum inside and all has proven to be a risk in this case. My question I guess is what would PSA say in this case? The cases dont show any sign of tampering yet the packs are way over graded at this point. Is it more that the buyer should be able to grade themselves the packs and know beyond PSA graded # of a 8 that any uneducated person should know they are not an 8 but way lower? We are gussing they were water damaged at this point. But the cases and flips dont show any signs of this, Only the actual wrappers. Should these stay in a PSA case of Nm or better? Very odd item being sold on consignment which doesnt hold the history of this product.
  • Options
    The only pack service offered should be whether it's genuine or resealed.

Issuing a number grade to a pack is way more subjective than a card.
  • Options

<< <i>This is an interesting area on grading.
    What would be the guarantee on this situation? They are graded Nm-Mt but they do for sure look to be VG like grote said. I do feel 100% sure that they did not look like this when PSA graded them. And having the gum inside and all has proven to be a risk in this case. My question I guess is what would PSA say in this case? The cases dont show any sign of tampering yet the packs are way over graded at this point. Is it more that the buyer should be able to grade themselves the packs and know beyond PSA graded # of a 8 that any uneducated person should know they are not an 8 but way lower? We are gussing they were water damaged at this point. But the cases and flips dont show any signs of this, Only the actual wrappers. Should these stay in a PSA case of Nm or better? Very odd item being sold on consignment which doesnt hold the history of this product. Where is the blame on this if they were not like this when graded but then damaged after PSA graded them? >>

I know in the past PSA will reholder the pack with the correct grade and reimburse the submitter for the difference in value between grades. However, in that case it was to the person who actually submitted the packs to PSA. Fritsch had a bunch of 1973 wax packs not too long ago that were originally NM-MT or MT but were regraded EX 5 or EX-MT 6 due to wrapper tears

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the paper PSA grading label show water stain if it happened after grading?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    this seems similar to Kellogg's and '68 Topps 3d grading. It's not uncommon for those cards to crack post slabbing, and from what I understand PSA would not uphold a guarantee for those that did. I'm sure it's the same for packs that have had gum tearing the wrapper, even though its the fault of a poorly designed holder.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    They're back.........ahhhh just relisted
  • Options

<< <i>They're back.........ahhhh just relisted >>

Guess the shill overestimated the appeal of moldy packs. Pathetic.

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Perhaps the original winner didn't factor the BP (botulism premium) into their bid and had to reneg? image

Snorto~
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I would posit the thought that these were not flooded, but simply kept in an unheated area.

I live in western Washington - a mold promoting climate if there ever was one! In only four to five months, from winter into spring, nearly every home develops surface mold or algae on the north face. Also, items kept in outbuildings quickly develop a light "skin" of residue as the air remains very moist.

My parents have owned a mini storage complex for 30 years and, as a teenager, I was tasked multiple times to clear a unit. This was before auction laws were in effect, but I can't tell you how many times I saw quality collectibles coated with surface mold. Since that time in the '80s, essentially every self storage facility around here has adapted to offer heated units that keep the air dry and at a constant temperature above the dew point.

It would be my theory, and the reason the flips don't seem to show wear or evidence of water, that these graded packs were simply stored in an unsuitable environment. Further, I agree with the current listing that states that a pack was opened and the cards were still OK, since surface mold is actually rather fragile when the conditions conducive to its growth are no longer present.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    only thing you can do with these is rip them....

wait...what did I say?????????????
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It would be my theory, and the reason the flips don't seem to show wear or evidence of water, that these graded packs were simply stored in an unsuitable environment. Further, I agree with the current listing that states that a pack was opened and the cards were still OK, since surface mold is actually rather fragile when the conditions conducive to its growth are no longer present. >>

What does the open pack look like? Looks like the same 18 packs as before.
  • Options
    I see these just won't go away and are back with Rick again! 3rd time the charm?