Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there clubs and societies in card collecting like there are in coins?

Are there organized collector clubs like there are coin clubs, whether they be "The Society of Unopened Pack Collectors," or a local club that meets once a month that touts fraternity and education as a platform. For those of you do not collect coins, numismatics has a very strong club-based structure with not only national specialty clubs that put out journals, but a strong national to local-level club support network that card collecting seems not to have - or want.

If not why is it different with cards? Card collecting has become a serious hobby where there is a ton of information, and there is big money being poured into it. FOR ME, the one reason why I chose NOT to collect cards was not the cards themselves, but the lack of external fulfillment that exists after the item is purchased. If I were to have a Topps Mantle run, whom do I show it to? I am not just going to keep it locked in a vault, or scan the cards and show them off on the board - that's not enough FOR ME. With coins, my possibilities for exhibiting and sharing my material are endless. I could travel to 10+ local clubs in my state (NJ) if I had the time.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. 25 years ago, I tried to start a local card club when card collecting had lots of participants, but it fell on death ears and I really did not ask people why they weren't interested. But that's 25 years ago, and this is today.

Thank you for your time,

Greg

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I think one reason why the cu forum is popular amongst card collectors is because it's convenient, there is no driving to a certain spot. I would be interested in a club except for the fact that I have a wife and small child (and another on the way) so being with my family is more important. Sportscard collectors club Not a bad idea though!
  • Options
    It is not exactly an in person club, but I like to share my new pickups and my personal collection cards on Youtube. After I post my videos my subscribers and online friends can view my latest pickups or pack purchases and view them. I get enjoyment out of showing them off, and they get enjoyment out of watching them. I have made a lot of friends just in the past year on Youtube and enjoy when their new videos come out and we can talk about the hobby from that perspective. It is not for everyone but without it I would not be able to share my cards with friends as no one I know personally collects cards and my family does not share my interests.
    A club or cards society that meets in person in my area would be even better though so I hope they start popping up as card collecting continues to grow in popularity. Just the other day I was at Target and 10 different kids under 14 were looking through sports cards and it made me feel great. I had never seen that many kids looking through the packs and boxes at one time ever!
    I collect vintage PSA graded SF Giants, Willie Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal and Perry. And modern players like Buster Posey, Will Clark and Barry Bonds.

youtube acct
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who collects both, I believe it's because coins have a far greater history of collecting than cards, and also that there are many more coin dealers than card dealers out there. There also just appears to be more chatter among coin collectors, too--just look at the PCGS main message board on this site and you will see there are far more posts on a daily basis than what you see here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    The convenience of sharing information and what you have at home is less risky then moving your stuff around all the time. There is a group of members that meet at the National annually. There was someone that had a get together in Vegas as well. I can't think of any other shows that this is done at though. I dont want anyone touching my gem mint cards anyway!
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The convenience of sharing information and what you have at home is less risky then moving your stuff around all the time. There is a group of members that meet at the National annually. There was someone that had a get together in Vegas as well. I can't think of any other shows that this is done at though. I dont want anyone touching my gem mint cards anyway! >>

There are many ways in coins that collectors exhibit collections of all sizes and dollar amounts without anyone touching them. We have a high-end collector at a local club who keeps his stuff in a locked showcase, and takes it out himself during the show and tell portion when it is being shot for the camera.
  • Options
    It is not a collector's club, but a large percentage of SABR members collect in some form or fashion.