Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Autograph Opinions

I may go to the Long Beach Expo in a couple weeks. If I do go I want to get autographs from Oscar Robertson and Joe Montana. My question to those with experience in autographs is if I get them to sign basketballs or footballs is it best to have them sign official balls or does the ball not affect the value of the autograph. I am very unlikely to sell either autograph but in case I had to for some reason, I wanted to know if it was particularly worth more to have Oscar's auto on an official NBA ball (around $100) or just any nice Spalding basketball (around $25). In Oscar's case the official ball itself would cost more than getting him to sign it ($60). Thanks in advance for your help.

Another request for opinions: Would you rather have an auto ball or auto on a card (and what specific card do you think would be the best/coolest to have signed: RC or any other nominees)?
Steve

Comments

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I may go to the Long Beach Expo in a couple weeks. If I do go I want to get autographs from Oscar Robertson and Joe Montana. My question to those with experience in autographs is if I get them to sign basketballs or footballs is it best to have them sign official balls or does the ball not affect the value of the autograph. I am very unlikely to sell either autograph but in case I had to for some reason, I wanted to know if it was particularly worth more to have Oscar's auto on an official NBA ball (around $100) or just any nice Spalding basketball (around $25). In Oscar's case the official ball itself would cost more than getting him to sign it ($60). Thanks in advance for your help.

Another request for opinions: Would you rather have an auto ball or auto on a card (and what specific card do you think would be the best/coolest to have signed: RC or any other nominees)? >>

Its always best to use an official ball for autographs. Most buyers will pay more for an officially signed ball.

No correct answer to your 2nd question. Different people collect different things, have less/more storage space, etc.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Yes official balls are best always, however a tip....you can buy NFL "Blem" balls for much less.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    What is an NFL "Blem" ball and where do I get one? I may get one if I get two autographs from Montana (but at $180/each) I may only afford one. I think I am more likely to get the Montana on a ball that I had autographed by Jerry Rice when I was a kid. I think that would be a cool ball. Thanks for your help.
    Steve
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What is an NFL "Blem" ball and where do I get one? >>

From a quick "GOOGLE" search:
    Keep in mind that the NFL labeled footballs marked ‘blems’ have made it all the way through all the rigorous inspection stages. During the final inspection, each ball must meet quality standards in appearance, stitching, length, width, shape, weight, and end seams. It is at that point that the NFL balls are once again scrutinized for uniform consistency and appearance perfection. Even the slightest cosmetic blemish detected during the final Wilson inspection line will find that game ball not quite good enough to make it all the way to ‘the NFL Pro teams’. Those balls that don’t make the NFL ‘final cut’ are marked ‘Blemished’.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.