Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got Maven an awesome item tonight, gave her the Cruz hat and jersey, very cool!!

I'm blessed to have a fun, good, beautiful, daughter that shares a love of the Rangers with me. Her favorite player for the past 4 years or so has been Nelson Cruz. She has met him a couple times and he's been nice to her when she met him. Ive even got a video somewhere around here where he tells her she is really cute. Ever since he did that, she has been enamored with Nellie. She's been asking me for years to get her a real Nellie bat, hat, or something. Tonight, I bought her a present. She doesnt know yet and I might save it for her birthday in December or I might just give it to her next time we go to a game, just depends whrn I get the urge. She is probably gonna want to sleep in this thing, LOL. In casr you can't tell, her old Dad is a little bit excited to get this for her. Im sure in a couple years this jersey will have kool aid stains and have its MLB authentication sticker lost in the wash, but thats OK by me. I'd rather have her enjoy it instead of putting it in a frame

A 2013 MLB authenticated Nelson Cruz game worn jersey
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Awesome..my daughter is starting to get into autographs. Really makes items and moments like this priceless
  • Options
    Boy oh boy. That is very neat. Great job dad!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Awesome Mike! DON'T wait until December to give it to my 'lil buddy ... Let her enjoy wearing it at the games this summer!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Vote #2- Give it to her ASAP.
    That's awesome
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NIIIICE!!!

Give it to her now! image

We want to hear what Cruz has to say when he sees her wearing it! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    It should be in by the end of the week so Ive got a few days to decide when to give it to her. Here's her photo with Nellie last September. She's the little girl with eye black looking quite enamored

• Options
    awww!

it will most definitely be a night shirt! LOL
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    At first I thought it was an authentic jersey, which was cool enough, but MLB game used?? Yes, that is awesome. Happy for you and Maven -- the moment of giving it to her will be one you'll cherish for life (her, too).

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - You say you are blessed to have such an awesome daughter as Maven but she is equally blessed to have such a cool dad. Awesome piece! I vote give it to her for the next game.
    Daniel
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    Mike, there is an MLB authenticated game used hat on ebay right now...would go great with that Jersey!
    Link
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Awesome!

Let me share this with the boards.....as a boy growing up in Philadelphia, I was lucky enough that my father had some dealings with the Phillies. He would lend them cars for the season and became friends with many of the players. Many times I would wake up in the morning and there would be an item sitting on my dresser that he would have gotten the night before. Sometimes it was the giveaway from the game the night before, sometimes an autographed item or even a player bat. Ill never forget the night I came home to a 1980 sixers team signed ball (which sits on one of my bookcases today) These are some of my fondest memories as a youth.

Someday Ill tell the story of what he brought home the day he helped Pete Roses wife clean out the rest of her house when he was sent to the Expos

Anyway, great item and I am sure she will appreciate and cherish it and your times together.
  • Options
    I just saw the new logo for your daughter's company, "I Collect Texas Jerseys". I just wanted to let you know there was a mistake and they forgot to add the "J". Mike, please correct it before you get too many made up! HAHAHA

I also read her recent book about all the games she went to with you and the different types of food you guys ate!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Mike! Looking forward to the games on Texas' schedule for June 21-23rd. I say the next game or a game where you have a little time to make a nice presentation for Maven to wear it to the game (promotion at the park you guys are looking forward to, etc.)
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Mike, do you get the feeling that if Maven has to wait until her birthday that you are going to lose ALL your friends on the board? HAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great item, Mike! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    One question Mike.... Does it smell nice?
  • Options
    One question Mike.... Does it smell nice?
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    I hope Maven doesn't read this forum.

School has ended or is ending soon in many places. Did she do well? If so, she deserves a reward.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    Keeping this fresh so we can see what Mike decides to do!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Keeping this fresh so we can see what Mike decides to do! >>

Lol. Im bidding on that hat too. If I get that, when the hat comes in, ill give her the hat asap before we go to our next game when it comes in

On the jersey, im toying with the idea of trying to get Nellie to give it to her personally during BP at one of the games we go to, but I havent come up with yet exactly how to pull that off. He is not one of the ones that usually comes over to chat.. I might explain the situation to one of the other Rangers like Nathan (he is cool) and see if they can get Nellie to do it for me. That wouldnt earn me as many cool dad points with Maven cause shed think nellie gave it to her and not that dad bought it, but I think she'd absolutely love that. image

Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very nice cant wait to see the pics with her wearing them

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Got the jersey and hat in Friday and decided I wanted to see her excitement image. I hid the jersey at the house, and was wearing the hat when Maven got home. She didn't think much of it, until I asked her to read the little hologram on "my" hat since I didn't have my glasses on. She did, and I told her about the MLB authentication program and told her we could go online to find out what that number meant in regards to the hat. I gave her my IPAD and she began to read the screen. She quickly started squealing and asking if she could try the hat on since she realized that Nellie had worn it. She put it on and literally started jumping up and down. I smiled and told her wait, the hat was for me as it fit me and not her, but I told her I had gotten her something too and gave her the poem you see. She was reading it slowly and all of a sudden came to the realization of what it meant. She jumped into my arms and was squealing and laughing. I went to retrieve her jersey and she loved it. Needless to say, the hat is hers too. They are a perfect fit LOL as you can see in the pics. She absolutely LOVES them. One really cool thing for me is I went to tuck her in Friday night and discovered that she has hung my poem up on her keepsake wall. Very, very cool

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool. Better than cool really. One of the best threads I've read on here image
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievably cool!! This has been fun to watch unfold.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>That is really cool. Better than cool really. One of the best threads I've read on here image >>

THIS

SO THIS!
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific story, great to see, Mike!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    As a dad of 2 girls, this is the most awesome thread ever. Good job.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is really cool. Better than cool really. One of the best threads I've read on here image >>

THIS

SO THIS! >>

+1,000,000
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    WOW that is awesome Mike!

I can't wait to do things like this for my little man when he's older.
  • Options
    Does the hat smell good?
  • Options

<< <i>Does the hat smell good? >>

LOL it probably won't for very long. She's been wearing it everywhere

• Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    awesome thread. Good work Mike!!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very well done, Mike. Obviously you're daughter has a major, yet innocent image , crush on him and you came through like a champ.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    You don't need to hear this from me, but I wanted to tell you, You're a great dad!

That's so cool what you did for Maven.
  • Options
    Well Mike ... I guess you will continue to have friends here on the Board! LOL. I'm glad you gave them to her now. She looks GREAT in them.

Edit to add: When did MLB start selling game used nightgowns?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome job Mike. Something Maven will always remember. It is great to be able to share our passion for stuff with our kids.

With that smile, it looks like you already got your father's day gift.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Great thread, Mike! Here is a pic of Cruz going over the wall in tonights game...
  • Options
    Barry

Wow, is that photo for real? What happened? Did he get hurt. I watched till it was 6 to nothing and now we are enjoying taped episodes of Cake Boss. I didn't care to see them get run ruled, LOL

If that's a real photo I gotta print that out to get signed LOL. We are supposed to see Nellie in less than a month (if he gets suspended though I don't know how that will be affected)

Mike
  • Options
    Mike
    It was a MLB Facebook update pic. I thought it was a cool pic...the pic was from about an hour ago according to the posting.